Sponsored by: DP Tuner

tranny help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 PM
shovelrog
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tranny help please

while towing in the mountains today my trans. temp on the pressure side got up to 230 deg. I made it to camp but I lost a lot of fluid how did the fluid get out ? i'll head out in the morning for more fluid or better yet a flush but do you think it's toast?

Old 06-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shovelrog
while towing in the mountains today my trans. temp on the pressure side got up to 230 deg. I made it to camp but I lost a lot of fluid how did the fluid get out ? i'll head out in the morning for more fluid or better yet a flush but do you think it's toast?
Shovelrog i'm no tranny expert here I'm mostly just doing this to move you to the top of the forum to get these guys to share their knowledge...but I do know that these trannys, if they get too hot, will spew tranny fluid and is fairly common.

I'm not so sure your tranny is toast, just sounds to me like it got too hot. You might be okay with some new fluid and maybe a new filter and making sure you take it easy on the way home.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 AM
rad1026
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you throw any codes? Is your Over Drive light blinking. If so you need to get the codes read. If not you definately need to flush that tranny fluid and change the filter if you haven't done so in a while. Install an additional tranny cooler!!!!!! If you are going slow down a 4WD road while towing you might also think about an electric fan cooling set up because you are not getting enough air flow under those slow moving conditions to cool your tranny. At 230 degrees that tranny fluid expands, where is it supposed to go but out, fill tube, seals, etc. Hopefully nothing too bad happened, but change the fluid and install the cooler.