Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stutter under light load

Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
toobad4u
Freshman User
toobad4u is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stutter under light load

My 00 f250 has a stutter that happens when the converter is locked up in 3rd, and OD. This only happens under very light pedal application. If I push more on the go pedal, it will buck maybe once more, and then go on fine. I changed the fuel filter less than 3k miles ago, and it wasn't that bad. Oil was changed recently also. It has been doing it for a while, but it never really bothered me until now. The Check engine light is NOT on, nor has it ever come on, except when first turning the key to the on position (so I know it works). It did it with no chip or programmer, with evolution, and still does it with one of Jody's chips, in all positions. I have hooked up a snap-on scan tool, and it buzzed all the injectors, and they all sounded the same, but when it was trying to do a cylinder contribution test, it aborted it, and gave up the code P1668. No communication between the ECM and the IDM I think. The truck starts fine, idles fine, still gets the same mileage it always has, but just has the annoying stutter when I hold it slightly below cruising speed (45-50 mph).
Are there any sensors that might be causing this, that I can check, or any other self tests that I can perform? I am pretty competent in the wrenching dept. I have a core 7.3l that I can get parts off of, but I would rather not throw parts at it if I can help it.
My truck is a 2000 f250 x-cab, 191k miles,2wd,auto trans.
Mods: Dp tuner stk,60t,80e,120, overboost anhialator,hpx,6637,4" down pipe 5" out, and boost,trans,and pyro gauges.

Your help is appreciated,

Stephen

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
clintbonnie
Postmaster
clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Have you replaced your cps lately? For less than $25 now, i would change it.. Mine was doing something similar prior to changing out the cps..See:
http://fordparts.com/cart/?pn=F7TZ-1...&submit=Search

Old 06-14-2007, 07:33 AM
toobad4u
Freshman User
Most that I have read it seems that the motor will die when the cps is bad. Haven't read much about them running bad, just shutting off.

Stephen

Old 06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
clintbonnie
Postmaster
clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
I would agree to a point, but these electrical sensors do some weird things and if you have not changed it out, I still would do it..It is easy to change. The latest design (grey in color) is suppose to be an improvement and you can use your old cps for your spare for your glove box.. SEE the following link for mod's and maintenance for how to change it.. bookmark it. Also I heard a rumor lately that Ford is going to recall the cps, so it must have problems.
http://www.7point3.com/mods.aspx

Last edited by clintbonnie; 06-14-2007 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Texas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant future
When my CPS was going out it would buck sometimes. Could be CPS like Clint said.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 AM
toobad4u
Freshman User
I called the local dealer yesterday, and the parts guy said they had some of the new cheap CPSs in stock. I asked him about the recall, and he said that it should be happening soon, and that if I bought this new one, that he would swap out my original one for another new one for a spare once the recall took effect. Keep in mind that I have known this guy pretty well for about 15 years.
Looks like I will be getting a new CPS today, and try it this afternoon after work. I will keep ya'll posted on any changes.

Thanks,
Stephen

Old 06-15-2007, 11:42 AM
clintbonnie
Postmaster
Sounds Good Stephen.. I am glad I kept my original cps in my glove box.. Maybe I can get a free replacement...But, i am not holding my breath.. Ford usual puts restrictions on their recalls.. My wife's 97 cougar 4.6L had a badly designed intake manifold and it leaked coolant but we missed getting reimbursed $1000 by about a year..Let us know if you hear any more recall info from your dealer friend.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 PM
toobad4u
Freshman User
Well, friday after work I replaced the CPS, and it did not seem to change anything, so I let one of the other guys that works with me drive it, and he said the truck felt kinda jumpy when trying to hold the pedal steady. I haven'e really noticed it since It had gotten worse slowly over an extended period of time. I decided to ****** a pedal position sensor off one of the trucks in the back that was broke down, and install it. Only took about 10 minutes to pull it off bad truck and install it on mine.
The truck now seems to be alot smoother on acceleration, and feels like the stutter/bucking has dissapeared. I have driven it about 30-40 miles so far, usually it will do it all the time you drive it. I'll keep you posted if this truly fixed it or not.
I hope it did since I have an ATS housing, and a 6.0l intercooler waiting to go on.

Thanks for your input,
Stephen

Old 06-16-2007, 01:07 PM
powerstrokin007
Senior User
powerstrokin007 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I might have to look into that. My has started doing it again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.