Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Replacing power steering pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:38 PM
Redsundevil
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing power steering pump?

Hey guys, I'm going to be pulling my power steering pump off later this evening in order to replace it with one that doesn't sound like it has rocks in it and was just wondering the best way to get the ATF out of it. Should I disconnect the hose in the same way as if I were doing a flush, but just not add any back in? Or would that have negative effects on the hydroboost? Basically, can I run this thing empty or is it not even necessary to drain it first, just keep the hoses high and use a lot of towels? What do you guys think?

Oh, and I'm already prepared for the pully-removal via special tools, so no worries there.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I disconnected the line going to the cooler and just let it drain, then took everything off and removed it. The hydroboost drained a little more but nothing a quik clean up didnt get.

Those pulley are 2 press pully's, once you remove it and then put it back on the next time it comes off it goes in the trash (just in case it is not the first time it was removed).

Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
Smokin'
Smokin
You'll get a little air in the system after you put the pump on and add your new fluid...just work the pump really good (turn the wheel back and fourth and step on the breaks) to work out any bubbles that may have made their way in there. Worked great on my recent install.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Redsundevil
New User
As for where to drain it, I had to laugh a bit because I haven't had the opportunity to crawl under there and look around yet so I had completely forgotten that there even was a power steering cooler. That does sound like it would be good place to drain it from though, thanks for your input.

As for the 2 presses and done...I guess I'll just have to hope the pump I get from Ford doesn't end up being defective! Then I would have used up my 2 lives

Picking up the pump today, so wish me luck! (Sometimes I need it )

Old 06-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Redsundevil
New User
Well...I replaced the power steering pump this weekend and am frustrated to say that it didn't fix my problem in the slightest bit. The grinding noise that is produced at idle is still present and now I have the added Ford "whine" that my original pump never had. I used a ford motorcraft pump from the dealer, it's a reman, along with some Mobil 1 ATF and am worse off then I started.

I guess the problem must lie somewhere in the hydroboost unit? I don't know?

Old 06-18-2007, 10:55 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I did the same thing with my mustang last summer. I had a high pitched whine (no racks in it sound though). I spent a few hours replacing the pump and when I fired it up and backed out of the gararage...at least the same amount of whine as before. Very frustrating.

I assumed the problem must be in the rack and pinion and have just been dealing with it. I don't drive it that much anymore anyway.

Keep us posted on what the problem is. Good luck

Old 06-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts
How long has it been since the ball joints were replaced? Jack up the front and use a pry bar to see if you can move the wheel.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:12 PM
Redsundevil
New User
Ball joints are fine, just had them checked out and everything looked good.

Just to clarify the symptoms, the problem is; at idle there is a constant grinding sound that is accompanied by a vibration through the brake pedal, both of which can be altered by changing brake pedal pressure or by bringing the RPM's up. Truck has received a new serpentine belt and now a power steering pump, but the grinding persists. Everything seems to work fine (braking and steering) but the grinding is annoying and probably not a good sign either way.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:54 PM
jrf250
Tuned
I had the same problem as You Redsundevil, It started after changing my serpentine belt because of the orignial broke. I let it go for a couple of months and decided to do something about it. Changed the pump and that did not work, matter of fact same as you now I have the ford wine. Went back and bought another belt (a cheaper kind instead of the $60.00 one I bought the first time). That fixed the problem. Should have listen to my Wife and bought another belt to start with. (won't tell Her that ). As for the whine, I was told to use lucas for power sterring fluid in it . Has anybody tried that, and does it work?

Old 06-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
If you haven't already done this,, Raise both front wheels off the ground & turn the steering lock to lock,,,while running... many times..I just went through this & it took quite a while to get all the air out of the system....

Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 AM
Redsundevil
New User
yeah, I think I'm gonna go buy another belt, probably the cheaper one just to see if it makes a difference. Hopefully that will help. Definitely seems strange to put a factory belt on a truck and have it create problems, but oh well, I've seen stranger things I suppose...

Thanks guys...Jeff