Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Sound

Old 06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
fireman1149
New User
fireman1149 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Squeaking Sound

I have a question cause this is my first diesel. I have a 2002 f-350 with hypertech programmer. The truck runs great and have gotten better fuel mileage. However, when Im towin the boat I get a real bad squeak if I get into the accelerator. Im thinkin its the serpentine belt, def sounds like a belt and it only does it if its real hot outside. I have 100,000 miles on the truck and was wondering about how long that belt is good for?? I change my oil regularly (3-5K) and change my fuel filter every 10K. Thanks for help!

Old 06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
fbilly420
Senior User
fbilly420 is starting off with a positive reputation.
sounds like it could be turbo surge to me. does it only happen under load?

Old 06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Smokin'
Post Fiend
Smokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by fireman1149
However, when Im towin the boat I get a real bad squeak if I get into the accelerator. Im thinkin its the serpentine belt, def sounds like a belt and it only does it if its real hot outside. I have 100,000 miles on the truck and was wondering about how long that belt is good for?? I change my oil regularly (3-5K) and change my fuel filter every 10K. Thanks for help!
Hard to say what that noise is..but even an untrained ear can tell the difference between a belt squeak and a turbo squeak. My thinking is that if its a belt, it will sqeak at any given time, not just when your towing.

You can do a quick inspection of the serpentine though, to see if its in good shape. Look it over and check for cracking or freying around the edges, and also make sure the belt is nice and tight, it should not be sagging or lose at any point. A lot of guys here get belts that are just a bit too long and they tend to slip around on the pulleys and tensioners.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
boy aint that the truth, the napa replacement is about 3mm longer and made my fan oscilate when it would lock up. I only noticed it during towing, took it back and replaced with a genuine ford belt. No problems since. I also have a squeal/squeak every once in a while, more so when I am towing. I have not been able to deduce it down to what actually causes it. It doesn't coincide with the engine RPM or boost pressure. I will probably find out what it is once it breaks. Has been that way for two years and hasn't shown me any more signs other than the occasional squeal.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Smokin'
Post Fiend
Smokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant futureSmokin' has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by cangim
I also have a squeal/squeak every once in a while, more so when I am towing. I have not been able to deduce it down to what actually causes it. It doesn't coincide with the engine RPM or boost pressure.
Interesting that it only really does it when towing. I would think that would be because your R's go up..weird.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:49 PM
fireman1149
New User
It doesnt sound like a turbo...who knows..Im with cangim, ill find out what it is when it breaks! Thanks for the help guys, keep the posts coming!

Old 06-13-2007, 06:57 PM
shadetree01
Junior User
shadetree01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 01 does the same thing on really long grades. I changed my belt with a new ford factory belt and the same thing it made no diffirence. I was told somewhere that it's in my trans.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Smokin'
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fireman1149
It doesnt sound like a turbo...who knows..Im with cangim, ill find out what it is when it breaks! Thanks for the help guys, keep the posts coming!
I'm not so sure I could go that route. A broken serpentine can leave you up ***** creek. No serpentine = no power steering, NO BRAKES, no alternator, and eventually, a dead truck..that is, if you can manage to get it stopped.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:35 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
jvoigt is starting off with a positive reputation.
If your serp. belt is slipping and squealing you will eventually smell that burnt rubber smell. I personnaly think you need to take your intake tube off and check your turbo wheel for excessive play.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 AM
01PowerStrokeF250
Freshman User
01PowerStrokeF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would think that if it was a belt it would vary with the engine rpm, at least some. But, I cannot think of anything, other than the turbo that could be making the noise. But, wouldn't a turbo squeak vary with rpm as well?

Old 06-14-2007, 08:18 AM
cangim
Postmaster
cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.cangim has a good reputation on FTE.
The turbo would definately squeal with the RPM of the turbo or a correlation to the boost pressure. I have check out the belt and replaced mine as well as rebuilt the turbo and still have it. I know the noise I have is not associated with engine RPM, the Turbo or the transmission. Shadetree01, don't know who told you it was in the transmission, but I really can't see where you can get noise from the transmission and not have some increase in failure if not complete failure. If the transmission is making noise, it's gonna die pretty quick. The only thing I am leaning towards is the valve trane on the driver side as that is where it seems to come from. Maybe an injector running out of oil or fuel? I don't really know what it is or really how to describe the sound.

I'm with smokin, if you haven't verified the belt is good, it's an easy check. I have the original belt under the seat as a back up if I or someone else ever needs it.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:59 AM
F450 Aaron
Senior User
F450 Aaron is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had this same problem this past weekend while towing. It would only happen on long grades when not in OD and a little while after if I tried to pass someone. I thought it was the tranny but not sure...Definitely not turbo.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
fireman1149
New User
Yea, its not the turbo....Hopefully not the tranny either. It sounds like F450 Aaron and I have the same problem...doesnt do it if the truck isnt loaded!

Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM
MONTANA350
Junior User
MONTANA350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Maybe the bearing in the belt tensioner pully? I've replaced mine and the squeek went away.

Scott Johnson
2001 F-350, 6637 mod, remote start, Rancho RSX's

Old 06-15-2007, 01:14 AM
01PowerStrokeF250
Freshman User
01PowerStrokeF250 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Usually when the bearing in the tensioner pulley goes it will vary with rpm as well. I am very interested to see what this ends up being. As a few people have said that they were thinking tranny, do all of you have the autos? I would be interested to see if anyone with a manual tranny has this problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaking Sound

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.