1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Trouble with 95 ranger

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Dusty_F150
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trouble with 95 ranger

ive had more problems with this truck than any other...right now the problem i want to tackel is a ERG valve that has been removed. it was broken off the canister when i bought the truck, it ran ok...but sometimes it would not start. If you pushed the valve pipe back into the upper intake it usely would start. it got progressivly worse and finaly i got a 2 1/2" rubber plug and put that in where the ERG valve was, effectivly making an airtight seal and keeping the truck going. the small vacumm line from the canister where the ERG ran to is now blocked off with a 5/16'' bolt. once in a while the truck will not start, i had a blowen fuse in the power Distrubution box labled JBL System in the manual 30 amp. after replacing this it fired right up. any one know what a JBL system is? the truck is a 1995 Ford Ranger with a 4.0 V6 5 Speed and 4x4. i use this truck as a daily driver and my response vheicle to the station for fire and EMS calls. (with more blue lights than i need) the truck will sometimes (about once a week on avrage) quit on the road usely when im coasting down a hill, it has not ever quit on me under power, or it will not restart after it has been running, like when i stop for gas get back in and go to start it up it will start. it cranks over but will not fire up. if i wait about 5-10 minunits it will fire right up. any ideas that i can bounce off my mechanics head? please help!

Old 05-27-2007, 01:16 PM
pawpaw
Received 74 Likes on 72 Posts
Sounds like this puppy has been rode hard & put up wet!!!!!

So many things seem to be in need of being put right, to know which one is the root cause of your driveability problem, is beyond me at this point.

Having the EGR disfunctional really confuses the computer.

SO, why not begin with what you know to be a problem & that is the EGR system. Get it put rght & functional again, then scan the computer for set, or pending, trouble codes, as they can give you clues on where best to look next in your troubleshoot.

Post all the codes you find & we'll see if we can help you work through each poblem found.

Where are you on past & present due scheuled maintenance items, like fluids, filters, PCV valve, plugs, wires, ect?????

Old 05-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Benaghetto
Elder User
The JBL is the premuim sound package in Rangers of your vintage. It wont effect drivability in any way.

I'd fix the EGR problem on hand and deal with whats left afterwords. If a code reader isnt handy after replacing the EGR pull the negative battery cable off for about 15-20 mins and it'll forget anything stored in the computer. This makes the truck relearn basic drivability with the new EGR on and fully functional.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Hank85713
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I would recommend you replace the fuel pump relay that is in the box under the hood. Many have encountered problems with the relay particularly when trying to start when its hot. I keep a spare in mine and if it does that I just replace it and its ready to go.

let us know what happens.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 PM
Dusty_F150
Junior User
when i bought the truck the first thing i did was change oil, plugs and wires, drained and re-filled the tranny, t-case and both Diffs, also replaced all the lightbulbs for the head and tail lights. i keep my truck well maintained becuase not only do i depend on it, others depend on me reaching them or the fire house in an emergency.
i will get a new ERG system

Old 05-27-2007, 07:59 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it just die or does it cough when dieing? Coughing typically means it's a fuel starvation problem, whereas a flat out death that is sudden is normally ignition related.

As the others said...replace the EGR...reset the PCM (computer) and drive it again, see if any codes pop up. Since your truck is a '95...open the hood and look next to the underhood fuse box. Is there a large plug labled "EEC TEST"? If so, you have an EEC-IV computer, if not you have OBD-2. OBD-2 would be wonderful here, because then any parts place will have a code reader to tell you what's going on.

If you have OBD-2, let a place like Autozone pull your codes, get the code numbers, and bring them back here. That helps immensely in determining what is going wrong. We'll need the code numbers (3 digit) and whether they were KOEO (key on engine off), KOER (key on engine running), or CM (continuous memory).

Old 05-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Dusty_F150
Junior User
i think i figurd out the problem, two mechanic friends of mine say its the fuel pump and it realy needs to be replaced. im going to try that, but first im going to get a new coil pack and put that in first, if not ill replace the fuel pump, becuase of the reliabilty issue im having im putting my 1994 F-150 back on the road becuase 1, ill have a very reliable truck on hand, and 2 my girlfriend is always taking my truck to work. ill pull my light bar off and put it on the F-150 but keep the ranger's dash lights and hideaway strber on.