Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Took the PSD to the drag strip last night

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:51 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Took the PSD to the drag strip last night

They have a fast and fun fridays not too far from me where you can come run all you want. heads up, just practice and have fun. never know what your going to be up against type of racing. My first race was against a 68 camaro, said 327 on the emblem, no idea if it really was but had a real radical cam and nice looking car. he should have left it on the trailer. 1/8th mile, and beat him by almost a full second . anyway I ran up against a lot of cars, and one other truck with only one loss for the night (I red lighted, duh). I can tell I am out of practice on the tree after the winter (first time racing of any kind this year as don't have the mud truck running yet).
any way my best for the night was actually my last run of the night.
ET 9.832
speed 67.93mph
reaction 0.223
60 ft 1.988

This was running B50, the announcer told me I should have mentioned that little fact early in the night and he would have made a big deal about it since one of the biggest sponsors of the track is the biodiesel board, and has asked me to bring the truck up again and let them know just so they can make a big deal out of it running bio. I thought that was pretty cool actually.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice, man!!! So what's the real scoop on BD? I hear up to a 20% power loss, but I'm assuming that's on straight BD (B100). Yet I also hear that there isn't any power loss. Down here in FL there are very few options for BD, so I have yet to run it. When I get back to TX in a couple weeks I'll have fairly easy access to it and would love to run some through.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:08 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Izzy, there is some loss, 20% I don't know. Using the calculaters with my times and weight it registers 383, down to 361 flywheel hp using 120 race and 140 extreme settings on my DP tuner. considering the engine was rated at 250hp and add the DP you find it's down 7 and 9hp respectably from what calculations say it should be. Now of coarse that is assuming that my engine actually does produce 250hp stock, that the dp actually does add those hp exactly, and that the et calculator is accurate. But it's within the ballpark of what it should be, plus I am sure my ET is down a little since I had the hubs locked in, and who knows about my driving, I did notice as the night went on I got faster, some might have been cooler air and I am thinking some was my driving was getting more intune with the truck and the type of track.
But based on that I am thinking that the drop from Bio although present isn't anywhere near 10% let alone 20. JMHO.

I know Kris thinks it should actually increase hp because of the increase in cetane, I don't believe that true after a certian point. My opinion on that is the cetane increase will increase power A. up to a certain percentage of bio then the reduced BTU's will start to counter it, and B. I am thinking if the truck was specifically setup to take advantage of the Bio's properties it would also increase it (Jody and I talked about this a little and he was thinking of doing a little research with his truck on burn rates etc to see if there is more power there). Personally I would like to see someone that has access to a dyno and a truck tuned or not, to run it starting at straight #2 then increasingly putting in more and more bio up to at least 75% and see what it actually does on a dyno. I am also thinking that if Jody starts playing with this we might find a whole new set of tunes for specifically running bio, and maybe some things that can be done to the trucks to take advantage of the increase in cetane, I know he is good at this stuff and think he might actually come up with something.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 05-26-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:20 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Okay, thanks for the info. I've researched E85 heavily when I had my Ranger, but only slightly researched BD since I have no access to it right now. I'll probably run the lighter mix (like B20) when I get back to TX and see how she runs. There's definitely a mix of info out there, and I agree with you -- if I trust anyone's research, it would be Jody's!! I'd buy a heavy ratio BD tune if it was something that proves useful...

Joe

Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Wheatina
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOO COOL!! Love to hear this!! Congrats on a really great and fun BD night!!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, those numbers are very similar to mine. What a blast it is when those folks look at the ET on a run. Especially when you tell them that it's about 7500 lbs of truck going down the strip.