The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

What is your job or career?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 05:33 PM
SilverBeast
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the pressure washing business. We mainly wash semi's and house, but we also stain decks. I'm the guy they call when everyone else has already worked 40 hours and the boss doesn't want to pay overtime. Work hard and get paid crap.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
V10_Cougar
Elder User
I work in a body shop

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM
cdrmotorsports
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdrmotorsports
Right now I'm a full time farmer and part time want to be mechanic. I'm going to school in the fall for firefighting and then I'll be doing that full time and farming on the side.
I've got update mine. Just got hired for a full time plus over time job doing landscape projects for a local town. So, I'll be doing that 45-50 hours a week, farming until dark, and then tinkering on something in the garage until I fall asleep. Not counting the tinkering I'll be working 70-75 hours a week. I love it. There is nothing more rewarding for me than making my own money. Hopefully by mid-summer I'll have a nice amount saved up for a muscle car. I get one day off now!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Fords&Farmalls
Senior User
Right now I'm milking cows for the farm right down the road. I'm also going to school (Delaware Valley) This fall to study Dairy and Animal Science. When I'm done, I want to bottle my own milk and maybe have an 'on farm store' where I can sell anything else I raise. I live in an area that is growing quickly in population so I definatly think is possible to do and be successful at.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:53 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Currently I'm a mechanic at a Komastu dealer. I worked as a tech for a Mercedes benz dealer for 5 years before quitting last July. I am glad I made the change. I don't like the direction the auto industry is currently heading in. But right now we are ungodly slow due to the almost dead housing market.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:57 AM
CounterMaker
Posting Guru
i also work for my old man, but i guess im one of the lucky ones...he pays me great and i work really good hours...50+ a week plus free weekends...haha...but the payoff when he hands the business to me will be worth it...before i worked for him he was working 16-17 hrs a day...7 days a week...he would go ome get a few hrs of sleep and go back at it...this went on for 3-4 years...now he works a steady 50-60 hrsa week and enjoys life...he says its all thanks to me...i pick up the slack and now its time for my old man to enjoy life...i told him its time for the young buck to take care of him now!!!! o if you couldnt figure out what i do...i make countertops

Old 05-26-2007, 09:09 AM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fords&Farmalls
Right now I'm milking cows for the farm right down the road. I'm also going to school (Delaware Valley) This fall to study Dairy and Animal Science. When I'm done, I want to bottle my own milk and maybe have an 'on farm store' where I can sell anything else I raise. I live in an area that is growing quickly in population so I definatly think is possible to do and be successful at.
awesome idea.... Here's a company that started small and now has stores in a bunch of towns, they also do home delivery, and have some of the best dairy products...
http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/default.asp

Old 05-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Fords&Farmalls
Senior User
[QUOTE=jake00]awesome idea.... Here's a company that started small and now has stores in a bunch of towns, they also do home delivery, and have some of the best dairy products...
http://www.oberweisdairy.com/web/default.asp[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Jake, for the link. That was very interesting. There is no type of home delivery service around here at all, and its neat to know that some people still do it.
Garrett

Old 05-27-2007, 10:50 PM
lucky no. 7
Senior User
i work for uncle sam, as a mechanic for the army, right now we are deployed between sadr city and baghdad, fine place to be except for all the **** blowin up all around ya all the time

Old 05-27-2007, 11:03 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I am a mechanical engine-ear.
I work as a consultant in manufacturing, and construction/project work... I really love my job, am at a new site most weeks, I get to spend a lot of time in and out of the office - haven't seen my manager in about 3 months, am pretty much my own boss, and the hours are up to me, and there is PLENTY of work, the pays good (for my lack of experience in Australia).
Did I mention I love my job?

I am also at college studying business full-time...

Old 05-29-2007, 01:54 AM
ffmaxwell813
New User
I'm a firefighter/EMT I have been since High school,I also work for a childrens hosp,Great job would recommend firefighting to anyone

Old 05-30-2007, 08:36 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

I'm now in accounting but before I worked at a call center for the deaf called relay. That was a good job until they opened it up to a bunch of theiving nigerians on the internet who use stolen credit card numbers to buy cheet and have it shipped overseas... Been where I am now since I was 24 and the company just got sold to our biggest customer.. hoping like hell i still have a job when it's all said and done but I'm taking courses in accounting which combined with the classes i took towards my programming degree should make me pretty hireable if they can us and shift everything to their main offices... *shrug*

Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM
countryboy116
Elder User
i bag groceries... but im still in highschool and play football so i dont have alot of time. I hope to go to college and be an engineer (either electrical, civil, or mechanic), but i dont want to be stuck behind a desk all day

Old 06-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm a heavy truck mechanic.Started out in gas stations while in high school.Been at it ever since.Almost 30 years and I still enjoy it.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
weeds
Senior User
I'm a mechanical engineering student right now. Had a couple of internships and my interest has definitely moved from design to manufacturing. I never realized just how much fabricating somebody in manufacturing had to do with a designed product, just to get it buildable.

Countryboy, if I were you, I'd decide which one I wanted to go into as soon as possible. The core engineering classes are the same but after the first year everybody goes their own direction. It'll save you a lot of time & money if you know what you want going in. And all three of those will get you out from behind a desk if you know where to look & always make yourself available.

Quick Reply: What is your job or career?