Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Next Generation (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum177/)
-   -   What is your job or career? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/614935-what-is-your-job-or-career.html)

385seriesHemi 05-21-2007 05:53 PM

What is your job or career?

I am a entreprenuer who is a fabricator, bodyman, mechanic, cement finisher(part time)
What do you do?

Beast12 05-21-2007 07:01 PM

I am an Arborist year round and a snow plow operator in the winter time. I am almost 26 and have been doing tree work since I was 11. I work for my Dad who owns a tree care business. Here is our company website: www.citywidetreeservice.on.ca

-Matt :-tap

john112deere 05-21-2007 07:09 PM

I don't have a career yet. I'd like to drive truck, but I don't think I could handle it physically for very long :(. So I'm in school to be a civil engineer instead (probably make more money, too...).

This summer (starting next week, I think), I'll be working at a company that makes thread rolling machines. I'll probably be doing mostly grunt-type stuff- driving the van around the city picking up parts and supplies, building skids when the machines ship, whatever else everyone else is too good to do. Should make some good money, and maybe learn a bit, too.

In the fall, I think I'm going to end up doing some web design stuff, but I'm not sure yet.

bigun72 05-21-2007 07:43 PM

i work for my daddys sign company .... we make any kind of signs u want big or small .... i work my a$$ off everday .... i get payed $7 a hr , while all the other employes get about $9 or $10 ... and i do just as much as they do ... but im 16 , and i make like $350 - or + a week .... i work about 40 hrs a week ....

Peter94 05-22-2007 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by john112deere
So I'm in school to be a civil engineer instead (probably make more money, too...).

I'm telling you right now, stick with this one man. I worked for the city water/wastewater plant as summer help for a few summers, and that is pretty much a dream job (in my world at least). The guy who i knew that was a civil engineer bought his vehicle of choice and they paid him mileage, and he would drive around all day to construction sites and meet with the management to make sure all of the pipe and stuff was being installed at the correct levels, etc. Then he was in the office alot too redrawing the plans. But it was an awesome job. Outside every day, have a little bit of authority, fresh air, etc.

Another job I would want would be the water/wastewater plant operator. You make good money, and the job is unpredictable. When I was doing the summer help I would come to work expecting to mow, and find a street flooded with water that we would have to immediatly start tearing apart to fix a water main break. It was nice having something new every day.

I work at tires plus now. Its okay, you get different vehicles with different problems, but its still the same hurry hurry hurry you would get from any retail place. Also they dont give you much room for thinking for yourself. When i worked for the city i was able to actually make decisions for myself. But i can stand it for what i get paid.

cdrmotorsports 05-22-2007 04:11 PM

Right now I'm a full time farmer and part time want to be mechanic. I'm going to school in the fall for firefighting and then I'll be doing that full time and farming on the side.

thendrix 05-22-2007 08:21 PM

I am a machinist and have been doing this for the past 7 years. It is a pretty fun job, very rewarding. I would suggest this to anyone who likes to make things from scratch, has a good eye for detail, and a lot of patience. Good math skills are also a requirement.

bigdaddyII 05-22-2007 10:44 PM

I am a chemical mud auditor. I verify that oil companies who order chemical mud to be used in their drilling operations get the proper amount and chemical properties in the mud that they order. In short, I am a glorified pencil pusher, who, like IRS auditors, are not liked very well by the people they deal with on a day to day basis.

73f350sc 05-23-2007 01:01 AM

Well,
I used to work for Target in the garden center until they started hiring new folks at a dollar an hour more than me....after that...I got my butt back in school...right now Im working on knockin out my gen. ed. stuff in community college and planning on goin into Foresty..hopefully with either National Forest Service or National Parks Service. We'll see how it all turns out.
-Chris

76F250Gal 05-23-2007 09:27 AM

I am a mechanical engineer. The pay is pretty decent but I have too much college debt to really enjoy it. I work for a major diesel engine company but I work in the alternative fuels program, mostly with natural gas engines. The stuff going on around me is fascinating but what I actually do for a paycheck is pretty lame. It sounded a lot cooler in the interview. I'm supposed to develop spark plugs for these natural gas engines (5.9L-91L engines) and I was told I'd get to do testing and help with design work but what I really do is babysit suppliers and make powerpoint presentations and excel spreadsheets all day.

76 F-150 390FE 05-23-2007 04:53 PM

right now i work at a junk yard, when i get out of school i have a connection at luck stone and i plan on going there and being a diesel mechanic and getting certified by alban CAT through them.

jake00 05-23-2007 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by bigun72
i work for my daddys company ....

I know how that one goes, Get paid less than most everyone else, and much much more is expected of ya.... builds charactor tho...lol

ben97 05-23-2007 07:18 PM

I started a lawncare business when i was 14 and im now 19 and still doing that along with working part time hauling scrap steel, working for my dad's company or anybody else who need work done when i'm not cutting grass. going to tennessee this winter to run a cattle ranch and might stay there if i like it.

mblayton 05-23-2007 09:32 PM

Ford employee 25 years, holy crap only 5 more years to retire, IF THEY LAST THAT LONG

jimbo beam 05-23-2007 10:50 PM

Right now I'm working in a office supply warehouse. Its suppose to be 40 hours a week but they've been cutting me back. In my spare time i detail cars at a buddy's shop. I also do small engine repairs out of my garage, mostly neighbors mowers and weed whackers.

I stroll around the neighborhood every two weeks for junk day, mostly for scrap metal. I do have a hobby of grabbing every computer and mower i see. I use them for parts, or repair and resell them. Right now I'm making enough to stay afloat.

I just finished up my GED so now I'm planing on going to line school to follow in my fathers footsteps and be a lineman.