Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Picked up my new '86 F250 6.9 today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:22 PM
DeLorean623
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up my new '86 F250 6.9 today!

I just bought myself a 1986 F250 4x4 6.9 w/ 180000 miles on the clock and the Banks Power Pack.

Two problems with it right off. a/c doesn't work, and the speedo doesn't work.

No idea how to fix the air, but I do know that the problem with the speedometer is with the gears in the transfer case.... Anyone know how to replace those, or should I just take it somewhere?

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2007, 06:00 PM
Winger235
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With that many miles on her the T-case may need to be rebuilt any way. Go through it for piece of mind.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:54 AM
DeLorean623
Freshman User
actually it is a rebuilt transfer case. here's what happened.....
prior owner (buddy of mine) blew it out. so he took it to place A (no idea what its called) to get it fixed. they put a rebuilt xfer case in there, but it had that messed up part of it...or something. somehow, that place screwed it up. i don't want to go back there to get it fixed for fear that something else will get messed up even more.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
There are 2 gears inner and outer the both will wear out but people don't realize that and only change the outer get both...... gear color is important as it reflects the axle ratio. Ford should have a box of them in stock for you to get them. Could also be the cable is broken or the head at the cluster is disconnected. Check some stuff out and get back....

Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 PM
Winger235
Senior User
Originally Posted by PLC7.3
There are 2 gears inner and outer the both will wear out but people don't realize that and only change the outer get both...... gear color is important as it reflects the axle ratio. Ford should have a box of them in stock for you to get them. Could also be the cable is broken or the head at the cluster is disconnected. Check some stuff out and get back....
Amen! To that!

Old 05-24-2007, 02:06 AM
DeLorean623
Freshman User
I'll take a look at all that tomorrow morning and get back...
There's one other problem that I just realized today. The glow plugs are intermittent... Sometimes the light comes on, sometimes it doesn't. Usually they won't come on in the mornings... they come on about 75% of the time when the truck is warm. Any ideas?
I'm having to keep the block heater plugged in just so I can start the truck up!

Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The 86 engine had a coolant temp sensor mounted in the rear of the drivers side head.
When they went bad, sometimes the glow plugs do not come on when they are supposed to, more often though, the glow plugs turn on when they are not supposed to and burn up.

Either way, it is still a problem.

This is the glow plug relay behind the passenger side battery.
Remove the purple wire from the relay, then attach a 14 AWG wire to the terminal.
Run the wire inside the cab and attach it to one terminal of a momentary switch mounted in a convienent location.
Attach a wire tot he other terminal of the switch and run it to a power source, I preffer a source that is only hot when the key is on.

You have just converted your glow plugs to manual operation.

To operate the glow plugs,
Turn the key to On.
Push the momentary switch for 10 seconds.
Start the engine.

After a while you will find you can use shorter times on the glow plugs when the engine is warm or longer times when the engine is very cold.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:25 PM
DeLorean623
Freshman User

So this is what I'm seeing back behind my passenger side battery... I'd like to act like I even know what one of those clumps of wires is for, but I have no idea.... Some of that stuff really doesn't look like work done at the Factory, which kinda scares me.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:02 PM
DeLorean623
Freshman User
Anndd... one more question/problem....

I took the oil filler cap off about 10 minutes after turning the engine off, and something that looked like steam to me was coming out of there. Is this normal?