how good do ya think this will work

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:09 PM
rsalter66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how good do ya think this will work

i have a 75 351w out of a truck + the c-6 too, the motor is fresh but stock except for edelbrock performer carb, cam + lifters, mani, gear to gear drive timing,+ 50-150 shot of giggle gas,headers,billetproof dist,msd box, super coil+ a old mc,culloch super charger (first paxton) from an old desoto! i made a hat for the carb + ran the vent tubes out thru the hat(so i dont press, bowls) i have not had a chance to run it yet for i have not finished the car its in, how good do ya think it will run? i've got this crazy idea to try to run the blower off of a 12v motor or a elect clutch pully so i can turn it on + off as i wish! think that would work? i just bought a 78 bronco that i think im gonna put the motor in + build a diff one for the car( i know about the trans issue im gonna change output shafts + use the 351w's trans it has a shift kit + stall conv,) back to my question how good do ya think this combo will work

Old 05-20-2007, 03:20 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A supercharged motor will not run if the supercharger isn't turning as it cannot get any air.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 PM
rsalter66
Posting Guru
thanks i thought that would be the case? would have been cool though! always liked it in mad max when he would turn on the blower!! did'nt think it would work in the real world

Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Blurry94
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
The motor will indeed run when the blower isn't turning. However, the strain (current draw) on a the electrical system would probably consume as much, if not more, power from the motor to turn the alternator(s).

A turbo would probably be better option for what you're trying to achieve.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:03 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
From what I understand...any kind of supercharger will prevent the engine from running should the belt break and the supercharger stop.

Are you thinking of the electric superchargers? Those are a scam...

Old 05-21-2007, 08:26 AM
Blurry94
If the compressor rides on its own belt/pulleys then the engine will still run. I've thrown a belt a couple of times and was able to drive it back home, without any issues.

I'd say the engine will probably still run if the compressor rode on the same belt as the accessories, but there are other problems associated with that if the belt comes off: no water pump, power steering or charging system.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:41 AM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Perhaps it only applies to non-centrifugal superchargers then? I swear one of my friends called me one morning and said he blew his supercharger belt and it killed the engine, new belt and it started right up. I must be mistaken.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:23 PM
rsalter66
Posting Guru
the Mc,Culloch supercharger is a paxton type, ( paxton bought out Mc,Culloch ) what i was thinking about doin was taking a magnetic pully off a A/C compressor + modifying it to fit the supercharger to ingage + disingage the supercharger with a flip of a switch! , i'll have to take the belt off it + see how it runs after i get it back together? i think it would be cool for one, second i could just run the blower when wanted!, if it works? ya know if it choke's it out not running i could fab in a electric cut-out to open up when the charger is off, that way it gets the air it needs???? any thoughts???

Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 PM
FTE Herman
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just an FYI, mine runs fine without a belt; to qualify 'fine': all but WOT, where it is starved for air. The motor keep the rotors turning.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
jimdandy
Posting Guru
The clutch will work, the electric motor will not unless it has mucho amps. The blower has gear reduction which takes lots of torque to turn. jd

Old 05-21-2007, 08:55 PM
RangerPilot
Post Fiend
Ah...well learn something new everyday. Thanks guys.

I agree with jimdandy, go for a clutch, they're not too hard to setup, they're easy to find, and they're about the only way you'll make it stay engaged. As he said, electrics are going to be a no-no.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
rsalter66
Posting Guru
the electric motor idea was just a wild off the wall thought! did'nt really think it would work!! thank for the replys guys

Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 PM
jstandle
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Why do you only want to run it part-time? The blower in mad max was fake, i.e. I beliive it was a gutted supercharger with just the nose piece run by an electric motor located just below the hood.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Blurry94
Here's my view on this. A supercharger has very little parasitic loss under normal driving conditions, so there is really no need in using a clutch to engage the compressor. One thing I see happening is the shock that is put on the crank shaft when the clutch engages the compressor, this could snap the front of the crankshaft off and that would not be a simple fix. On a belt driven application, under heavy throttle conditions (0-3" of vacuum), the bypass valve shuts and that's when the blower creates its boost and the only time it is actually putting a load on the motor.

Last edited by Blurry94; 05-23-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
rsalter66
Posting Guru
there really is no reason for it! except i thought it would be cool! its just one of those things ya kick around in your head + i thought i would get y'alls veiw on it? Blurry94 has a good point that i did not consider! thank you!, that is why i like to get others veiws before i do something that is a bad idea! so i am s**t cannin this idea! thanks again guys take care! you'll hear from me again soon i'm sure

Quick Reply: how good do ya think this will work