Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Power Door Lock ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 05:08 PM
AlaTex
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Power Door Lock ????

OK - I am stuck on this one, Please Help --

97 Explorer - Driver side door switch will lock door but will not un-lock, however the pasenger side door lock switch both locks and un-locks as it should. I have replaced the driver side door lock switch, but no joy - same problem will lock but not unlock. Sugestions please.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:06 PM
K2JJB
Elder User
could be a broken cable somewhere in the path (my guess in your case would be at the flex point in the door). In my case it was further back but all the door locks would not unlock (but the switch in the back of the truck did work). I had to put a jumper in (as I did not chase the exact point of the break down) and it started to work. From what you describe it is isolated to the door switch (does the remote also work?) so I would check that flex joint... cables there then to break all the time.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:40 PM
AlaTex
New User
Originally Posted by K2JJB
could be a broken cable somewhere in the path (my guess in your case would be at the flex point in the door). In my case it was further back but all the door locks would not unlock (but the switch in the back of the truck did work). I had to put a jumper in (as I did not chase the exact point of the break down) and it started to work. From what you describe it is isolated to the door switch (does the remote also work?) so I would check that flex joint... cables there then to break all the time.
Thanks - this could be the problem - since I posted earlier, I found a wiring diagram (different year and model). I looks like the drivers side switch is in line with passenger side switch i.e. when the passenger switch is at rest there is a circuit through it from the driver side switch then to the lock motor - so there could be a bad connecting wire or perhaps the passenger side switch could also cause issue, if when at rest it does not make the circuit. I will check tomorrow - raining outside now. Again thanks and I will post results.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:20 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
I have repaired almost every wire in the door bellows on my 97. I have now added a 2" extension to each wire that broke and no longer have that trouble. The wires are stressed because they are too short and constantly being flexed.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:48 AM
tapper95
Junior User
Is there a trick to getting the wire bellows open? Is it better to open the door panel? The wire bellows looks like you would need to cut a cable tie to open it, but the cable tie looks pretty unique and I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it closed back up very well...

Old 06-02-2007, 11:44 AM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
You need to take the door panel off.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:17 PM
aquanaut20
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by aquanaut20
You need to take the door panel off.
OOPs! posted to wrong subject....no need to pen panel.

unbolt the connector and pull the joint apart, cut the tie wrap, repair the broken wires, bolt it back together, the locks WILL work......

ps, you can either leave the boot alone(unsecured) or us a regular tie wrap.