rockers arms

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
stockcar nut
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockers arms

I got questions. Can rocker shaft stands be spread to fit new shafts? If so whats the best way? I concidered splitting one side and spreading them with a smsll chisel but don't know if that is wise. Second question, how badly groved can rockers be before they are not useable? Bare in mind I am not building this for "go fast", it is for my '54 one ton and only has a mild Isky cam and a four barrel carb. It is also bored to 298 inches but being built mostly for low end performence. Thanks in advance for any advice, Tom

Old 05-10-2007, 06:47 AM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't split the bores of the rocker shaft pedestals. Why is the shaft a larger diameter that it won't fit? Perhaps we get abit more insite into what your doing we can help you out.

kotzy

Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes more info please.

Old 05-10-2007, 11:56 AM
stockcar nut
Senior User
Thanks for the replies, here is the deal. The pedestals had to be removed from the old shafts with a hydrolic press. If you look at the bores you will see they are notched on the sides where the bolts go through to allow for a crush affect when torqued down on the head. They just don't want to go on the new shafts and I really didn't want to use the press to reinstall them. they don't need to expand much but i don't want to ruin them either. My old shafts look like a rat tale file from lack of oil and my rockers have varying degrees of groves scored in them but I think I can get 16 usable ones out of the 50 or so rockers I have. I know some of them are groved beyond reuse.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:16 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never tried it. But if ya got that many than try a couple. Might work Ok.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:50 AM
kotzy
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't remember seeing pedestals crushed like you describe those square deals were pretty tough. Can you since you pressed them off get them back on the end of one of the old shafts? If you can what happens if you lay the side of the pedestal on a anvil of some sort (ibeam what have you) and give the top side a smack with about a hammer. Let us know. Thanks.

kotzy

Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
engineman
New User
Why not just ream the stands back to the diameter of the new shafts. Someone must have an adjustable ream that will do the job. I have adjustable reams and a dozen or so sets of good rocker sets on nice shafts. If you need help, get back to me and I'll see what I can do for you.