1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

POST the most absurd FORD part price

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
POST the most absurd FORD part price

I'd thought that nearly $300 each for the steel AC lines that run the length of the frame to the rear AC was high.

Today I asked about a fuel filler (to tank) hose after finding mine cracked & leaking when I filled it up. This is a 1.5" diameter hose about 16" long. The parts guy even grimaced. FORD wanted $248!

NAPA sells 2 grades of 1.5" gas hose for ~$13 & ~$23 per foot & I thought that was high!

Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course he grimaced--even he knew he couldn't sell the part at that price. Markup is necessary to sell parts at a profit, but they still have to be a somewhat reasonable price.

Jason

Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Was going for the "most absurd".

Originally Posted by jroehl
somewhat reasonable
Not rationalizations of what anyone considers "somewhat reasonable".

There's a lot of room for "markup is neccessary" between NAPA's maximum range $26-$46 & FORD's $248. What would you consider "somewhat reasonable"? $100? $150? $200?

IMO a small length of fuel filler hose like this is probably worth no more than $10-$15 at the max.

Everyone, but NAPA, should grimace. The absurd prices frustrate everyone & wastes everyone's time. I'd struck out at a number of other places, before finding the hose at NAPA & had been given the idea it was a dealer only item & possibly not just straight 1.5" hose.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
I wasn't rationalizing--I was agreeing with you. That price was way out of line.

Jason

Old 05-09-2007, 03:05 PM
lovejoy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gimme Year Make And Model

Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM
ptt
Senior User
Filler tube

I have the same problem on my 1995 E150 Tuscany Conversion Van. I'm considering muffler tape as a repair on it! Seems strange that it started leaking right after a tank drop for a new fuel pump! Curious as to price for this model/year. Does anyone know dealer cost? Hopefully not even more because everything for a Conversion Van seems high! Thanks

Old 05-09-2007, 08:24 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
the dealer only sells the complete assembly
fuel filler neck with both hoses clamps
this includes the metal filler neck
my most absurd part price was the
2 bearings, spring and snap rings in the upper part
of the steering column
$85.00
bought a complete column at the yard for $35.00 (with tilt)

Old 05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fuel filler hoses on 92+ e-series are known to crack and leak with age. Its a common replacement item and the OE hose is molded, not universal, and is different sizes on each end.

I bought one for my '95 at my local Ford dealer about 3 or 4 years ago and paid something like $60 retail. It had new, self contained, hose clamps on it but did not include the filler neck. If indeed your dealer quoted you $248, I would try another dealer. Maybe one of the advertizers on this forum.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 05-09-2007, 11:02 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
The hose from a plymouth laser works, it just need ~1 inch cut off of it. My dad did it to my '92.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 PM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Thanks, that's interesting. Can you confirm the filler hose is 1.5" at top & another size at bottom as suggested, defeating the idea of using NAPA straight hose?

Originally Posted by pfogle
The hose from a plymouth laser works, it just need ~1 inch cut off of it. My dad did it to my '92.
Can you post the year Plymouth Laser & cost? I can cut an inch off.

Was also curious if the hose can be installed w/the tank in place or does it need to be dropped? Did not get a good enough look as of yet to notice much, including the hose formed into a different diameter.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Heavy460
Senior User
I have paid $450 and up for a new starter.Iam a original owner of a 1985 F350 Diesel,and it seems every time i replace the starter i forget about the price untill i buy it.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Club Wagon
Was also curious if the hose can be installed w/the tank in place or does it need to be dropped? Did not get a good enough look as of yet to notice much, including the hose formed into a different diameter.
You have to drop the tank. Its not hard. Run it low on fuel and put two floor jacks under it. I used a section of plywood on the jacks to protect the tank. I only had to lower it a few inches to gain enough clearance.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Club Wagon
Posting Guru
Can I presume you've replaced the filler hose to tank? Can you comment on whether straight 1.5" from NAPA will do it, or if a formed hose w/1.5" at top & another size at the tank is required?

Originally Posted by Clubwagon
You have to drop the tank. Its not hard.
I never suggested dropping the tank was hard. At issue was whether or not it was neccessary. Remember I discovered the leak only b/c I filled the tank. It will take awhile to use up. May seal up the cracked hose temporarily for safety, even though it doesn't leak parked.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Can I presume you've replaced the filler hose to tank? Can you comment on whether straight 1.5" from NAPA will do it, or if a formed hose w/1.5" at top & another size at the tank is required?
I don't know that the NAPA hose will work. I only know that when I got the hose from Ford, it could only be installed one way because the sizes on each end were different.

I never suggested dropping the tank was hard. At issue was whether or not it was neccessary. Remember I discovered the leak only b/c I filled the tank. It will take awhile to use up. May seal up the cracked hose temporarily for safety, even though it doesn't leak parked.
I didn't see any way to reach the hose clamp on the tank end without dropping it.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT

Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 AM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> The absurd prices frustrate everyone & wastes everyone's time

Well, what noone tells you is the real reason why.

By Federal law Ford has to supply repair parts for 15 years for that vehicle after it is produced (which means by that time the patents have run out covering that vehicle so people can repro). They do not like it and do not want to. imo, If Ford had the choice they wouldn't sell the parts at all.

imo, It is priced to make a killing for autobody shop replacements and to thumb their nose, nothing else, they would rather have you go buy it somewhere else. Which you will.