Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Travel trailer ????

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel trailer ????

This has nothing to do with truck,but hopfully the mods wont delete it.Im looking to buy a TT.Anyone have any tips?
How cheap is like a weekend of camping with it.How and where do you dump your tanks?
As you can see i have never done this before,just looking for some advice.
Thanks guys.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cost is just Fuel, Food, and Campsite fee. Dumping is as simple as hooking up the flex hose and opening the valve. When my black tank is empty, I close the valve and then go inside and poor 3 gallons down the toilet and then open the valve again. I just like the good extra rinse.

There is a towing forum here on FTE https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum68/. A Moderator will probably move this there. I also frequent this site www.rv.net/forum

Hope this helps

Old 05-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got some good advice from this thread here on FTE
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...or-a-5ver.html

Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM
clintbonnie
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Another good forum is Trailer Life.. http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/in...s/forum/26.cfm
They are having problems with the website right now but try later...

Last edited by clintbonnie; 05-06-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:27 PM
Miller
Senior User
a weekend of camping close to home runs me about $100 thats for gas and food...

i dump my tanks right at my house, i use the 4 inch clean out that runs right into the main sewer line for the house, for those people who are not lucky enough to be able to do this, many truck stops seem to have them and campgrounds that are not totally dry have them also.. if i can i try to dump the tanks before heading home...less weight, less fule!!

Old 05-06-2007, 11:09 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Most campgrounds have a dump station, also a lot of rest areas on the interstate have them. A weekend usually runs me $60- $80 in camping fees, and it shouldn't cost you any more in food to camp then it does to eat at home (read: empty home refrig. into camper frig. and take dry goods from home pantry) Mostly we camp within 150 miles of our house so if you figure you get 10MPG towing, 300 mile round trip you burn 30 gals.($85 in fuel) all this being said, the benefits you get from being away and having your family around you and not dealing with the rat race for a few days far outwieghs the cost. Of course this is just my opinion but I am sure others will reflect the same.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 AM
MikeSDK
Elder User
Definitely check out the RV.net forums. You'll find more info on trailers (of all sorts) and towing than you could imagine. As far as recommendations for what 'brand' of travel trailer to look at, all suggestions will be biased of course...... I'd suggest you look into Jayco, Sunline or Sunnybrook. Go to an RV show and shop around. There are hundreds of different floorplans and options out there, and you can find what you want if you are willing to do your homework.

The local state park we camp at has nightly fees of appx $20. Other campgrounds and RV parks can be more in the $50-$60 range. It all depends on what you are looking for, how close you want to be to the attraction (beach, resort, etc) and what amenities you want (full hook-ups).

It's a great way to reconnect with family, get outside and enjoy yourself, and get everyone away from the TV.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 PM
Green_Dually
Elder User
Thanks Guys.
Im looking at a 28' coachmen 2002.Great shape.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:16 PM
totin_tools
Elder User
My Granddad told me when we were looking to stand in the shower and sit on the toilet. That alone knocked out alot of trailers I looked at. I get around 8-9 mpg when towing and it all depends on how much you use it.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 PM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We have a great time camping!! Granted, the cost of fuel these days has negated what used to be a pretty big advantage vs. vacationing by other means. However, there is something to be said for the value of the time your family gets to spend together during these trips. Life just happens slower when you're camping and your kids get some quality family time they may not get at home with everyone going here and there. You can spend just about whatever you want on a camper. I park my '91 Prowler next to those $500K motorhomes without a second thought. Campground costs vary some, but are generally in the neighborhood of what has already been posted. Full hook-up campgrounds have sewer hook-ups at each site, so you can just dump your tanks right before you leave. You might want to add a little soap and water to your black tank so that the movement of the trip home will clean your tank. Some folks I know have built a hook-up at their home that connects into their house sewer system. I'd advise that you read the forums suggested above for a plethora of great ideas. Camping isn't effortless, but it is well worth the trouble it takes to get your rig from home to your destination, IMO. And using and maintaining the camper's sewer system isn't that big of a deal....

Old 05-10-2007, 09:56 AM
7.3L DID TD
Elder User
Redtaurus94 hit it right on the nose. The wife and I started with a fold-down and a toyota 4X4, now 2003 Lariat 4X4 7.3L and Forrest River Cardinal Fifth Wheel 30' and we have a blast! It's not important how you look or how much money you spend someone always has something better, who cares! Campground fees in Ohio are $21.00 per night. Lately we keep our fifth wheel at a County Park next to the Ohio River and monthly fee there is $330.00 about $11.00 per day! But now we have 2005 Searay so we can enjoy the water feature. Don't go big the first time till you find out if you like camping. I grew up camping she did not, but she likes it and when I finally moved into a PSD she started shopping for more camper!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:08 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
First camping trip was in a 1951 Buick in 1955 (I was 6) with a army tent strapped to the roof to upstate Maine (Baxter Park)...Have always camped since. RedTaurus nailed it! I NEVER stay in campgrounds though, hate 'em . I always find some off-the-beaten spot to park (not hard in northern Nevada or northern California). In fact the last trip to the Pacific Coast, we took dirt roads (mostly logging roads in northern California) from Nevada to the coast all the way...just crossed tar roads a few times! Here is a picture of one of our stops:

Old 05-10-2007, 04:25 PM
rad1026
Elder User
I have a similar set up Neal. Big Fleetwood Caribou 12' camper on the 4X4 Dually. Its suprising the places I can get to with that rig. As for those that say camping is almost as cheap as staying at home except for the gas, well I guess I must tend to partake of a few more carbonated libations while camping. Nothing like sitting by the lake downing a few cold ones though. Go for it Green, you won't regret it.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I'm on my second trailer too. It gets expensive, but it generates priceless memories.
And the money spent is the means to the end so it's worth it.
I've been all over the western US and Canada and a lot of places more than once and will never quit doing that. I love RVing!!!!

Old 05-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
I agree 100%. We're getting ready to take off for AZ. We hardly ever go more than 400 miles in a day. Get set up for the night late afternoon or very early evening. Makes it very relaxing and kind of like, vacation.

Quick Reply: Travel trailer ????