Sponsored by: DP Tuner

6-speed removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 02:01 PM
carrcreekcaller
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6-speed removal

Last week the clutch pedal would'nt get the truck out of gear. After trying to pump the pedal several times the pedal would'nt come back off the floor. It made no noise like a throwout bearing so I replaced the hyd clutch assembly. Now the pedal wont budge unless I remove the slave cyl. from the tranny. It appears the fork for the throwout bearing is stuck or the throwout bearing is out and stuck in the fingers of the pressure plate. It has 160,000 mi and I pull alot and pull alot in 6th so I guess it's time for a new clutch pak.

Anyone have any advice on tranny removal from a 7.3? I was planning to remove the tranny and transfer case as one. What's the best way to support the rear of the 7.3 when removing the tranny?

FYI it's a 99' F350 7.3 PSD 6sp manual, 4X4, CC.
Thanks, CCC.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
I've had my transmission out twice for clutch stuff.
Before I say anything else let me recommend very highly to get one of those Kevlar pilot bushings and plan in installing it while your transmission is out. Long story short, mine failed and it took the transmission with it.
Other than that, it's a straightforward job. Just remove the bolts and out it comes. There's plenty of room to get at everything. A jack is required, that thing is HEAVY.
Also while it's out, plan on doing the turbo up-pipes. They are guarenteed to be leaking by now and with the transmission out, that job is very easy compared to having to do it later on.
I took some pictures the last time mine was out and made a gallery. I forget the name that I gave it right now, but it's one of them that I have.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
The engine weight is centered on the mounts so you don't have to do much for supporting the weight of the motor. Just make sure that it won't tilt forward and stuff the fan into the radiator.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:19 PM
carrcreekcaller
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you! Few more ?'s
1. Where do I get a Kevlar pilot bushing?
2. The throwout fork looks pretty weak are there heavier ones out there?
Thanks again great pics. CCC

Old 05-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
The engine weight is centered on the mounts so you don't have to do much for supporting the weight of the motor. Just make sure that it won't tilt forward and stuff the fan into the radiator.
I used a 2x6 between the pan and the crossmember I think to keep the motor from rocking too far forward.

Also- The trans and xfer case can be removed as one unit if you have two floor jacks and two strong guys. I put some firewood and blankets on either side to minimize any damage if it slid off the jacks. It never slid off.

Yes the kevlar bushing, not sure where to get it. I think I got mine from Dial a Clutch when I got my LUK clutch. Also get the updated fork (yours is the old, weak one) and the fulcrum or pivot which is plastic and is most likely toast. These two items are dealer items.

Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Southbend has the bushings I think.