95 F150 Shaking above 25mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 F150 Shaking above 25mph

Well this has been an ongoing problem for me for a few months now. I can't seem to track down a shake that I'm getting in my truck above ~25mph. It happened when I took a trip to the snow and got stuck in a snowbank (yeah, my crappy auto hubs took a dump in the snowstorm). So somewhere along the line from when I got stuck, to rocking myself out of the snowback (Drive - Reverse - Drive - Reverse...), to getting towed on a flatbad up to the summit, to buying overpriced tire chains and driving the rest of the trip at 25mph on chains; my truck developed a shake. I have a thread going on the pre-97 forum that I frequent here:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...ove-25mph.html

So far I have done the following:

-changed ATF and filter
-changed driveshaft u-joints and carrier bearing
-shimmed carrier bearing to straighten out driveline
-changed diff fluid (front and rear)
-swapped broken auto hubs to manuals
-perforumed tune-up (plugs, wires, dist. cap & rotor)
-had wheels and tires rotated, and balanced twice

The shake seems to be coming from the driveline (as you can tell from my different attempts at finding it) because I feel it more in my seat than in the steering. Can anyone offer me any more ideas here? Thanks.

-Chris

Old 04-27-2007, 06:17 PM
tgil
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 95 would shake around 35-40 mph, unfortunatly i had to have the tranny rebuilt. something about a bushing? anyway they fixed it. good luck....

Old 04-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Take your hands off of that keyboard and mouse, stand up, and jump in circles. I think I have found the shake. I took my truck down to Les Schwab to get the tires balanced ONE MORE TIME (yes, for the THIRD time). They found that 3 out of 4 tires were WAY out of round. So much so that they insisted on me buying 4 new tires at a prorated price (minus the cost of the remaining tread percentage on my current tires). Turns out that next weekend I'll get 4 Cooper A/T tires for a total of $240 out the door; not too shabby for tires that retail for ~$155 each. The mech there seemed confident that my tires could DEFINITELY be producing a shake in my truck. Everyone cross your fingers, this sounds promising.

-Chris

Old 04-28-2007, 06:02 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Take your hands off of that keyboard and mouse, stand up, and jump in circles. I think I have found the shake. I took my truck down to Les Schwab to get the tires balanced ONE MORE TIME (yes, for the THIRD time). They found that 3 out of 4 tires were WAY out of round. So much so that they insisted on me buying 4 new tires at a prorated price (minus the cost of the remaining tread percentage on my current tires). Turns out that next weekend I'll get 4 Cooper A/T tires for a total of $240 out the door; not too shabby for tires that retail for ~$155 each. The mech there seemed confident that my tires could DEFINITELY be producing a shake in my truck. Everyone cross your fingers, this sounds promising.

-Chris

Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 PM
MARTYSTOWRIG
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Skandocious

-Chris
so excited you posted it twice so WE wouldnt have to do a double take?!!

Old 04-28-2007, 09:00 PM
zman500
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds more like a bent drive shaft being that you say you got stuck with a 4WD over a snow bank and replaced everything else in between.........

Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Talking

Whoops, sorry guys, didn't mean to double post. We're on satellite internet out here in the boonies and it can get horsed up sometimes. Still excited about finding my shake though!!

-Chris

Old 04-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Originally Posted by zman500
Sounds more like a bent drive shaft being that you say you got stuck with a 4WD over a snow bank and replaced everything else in between.........
Let me clarify. I did not get stuck OVER a snowbank. My front tires drove into a snowbank and made pockets so I couldn't easily back out of it. And bear in mind the that snow was not that deep, just really slippery. And I've got a 4" lift plus 33 inch tires, nothing ever touched the driveshaft. Thanks for the input though.

-Chris