Brights/Dim Switch - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Brights/Dim Switch

Old 10-07-2002, 10:31 AM
PaulC
Posting Guru
PaulC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brights/Dim Switch

Old 10-23-2002, 04:49 PM
mpiorko
New User
mpiorko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brights/Dim Switch

About a year ago I was driving home at night in my '97 E150 and noticed that my headlights weren't on. The headlight switch was pulled out, and I didn't think both headlights went out at the same time, so I started tinkering. I found that they went on when I pulled the turn signal lever, (like when you flash your lights), so I knew they worked. When I flipped the lever for brights, they went on. I pulled the steering column apart; it appears like the switch is all one unit with the turn signal lever. I figured the switch is bad, so I cut the wire for the regular headlights and rewired it to the brights end of the switch. It worked great, although I no longer had brights. A couple days ago, I started to have the same problem again. So far, if I keep flipping the lever from brights to regular, eventually the headlights work, but I know I'm gonna be 100 miles from home at midnite and it's not gonna work. The headlights will go on when I pull the lever. I assume the switch is finally giving out completely. Can I replace just the switch, or is it all one unit with the turn signal lever? Does anybody know the part number? Please reply asap, 'cuz I know this thing is gonna die altogether any day now. Thanks for any and all help.
Mike

Old 10-24-2002, 10:11 AM
ralphie123
New User
ralphie123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Brights/Dim Switch

The turn signal/wiper/highbeam switch is a combination unit. The one in my '96 F53 chassis motor home appears to be similar to the one in my 2002 F150, and may be similar to yours. The switch caused wiper problems in my motor home. I got the switch from Ford for about $75. It was very easy to replace. You need to pry out the ignition key flange, remove a few screws (torx) from under the steering wheel covers, and two screws that attach the switch to the column, plus two wiring plugs. I suppose it's possible that your light switch is causing the problem, but I don't have any suggestions for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.