Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate rust

Old 09-12-2001, 02:06 PM
Galaxie427
Senior User
Tailgate rust

What do you all do to combat the dreaded "Bronco Tailgate Syndrome" that is so prevalent in the snowbelt trucks? I've got a really nice '96 that has survived so far, but I know lurking in that sheetmetal fold on the gate is a bunch of moisture (& soon to be salt!!). Any ideas?

Pete

Old 09-14-2001, 07:27 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
Tailgate rust

I have a 96 too. I keep the drain slots clear at the bottom of the gate and wipe it down good when washing the bronco.
soon, i better take the access panel off and try to get out any crud down there. won't be ez to see, but our later models have more rustproofing/galvanizing than earlier years.

Old 09-14-2001, 07:40 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tailgate rust

There's a rust preventive paint on the market called POR-15. It's been called the closest thing to powder coating in a paint, and it's tougher than goat guts. You might consider opening your access panel and painting the inside of the shell with it. I've used it on my truck's frame, underbody, outside of the fuel tank and skid plate, and the insides of the tailgate and door shells, and after over a year it still looks like new with no rust.

Old 09-15-2001, 06:49 AM
AlM
Posting Guru
Tailgate rust

Thanks restorit!
I heard from others here and in other ford truck/bronco site that POR-15 worked well for them too.
http://www.por15.com/
Will give it a coat

I also check the rear fender lips everytime we wash it, this was an area that rusted out on our 78 Bronco badly. The 96 has an "open" lip that is easy to clean and check, ex for the fenderline which tends to bend and trap gunk against the metal fender.

Old 09-15-2001, 09:05 AM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tailgate rust

That's a good idea.... when I went through my '85, I had good quarter panels (no rust), but I removed the plastic splash guards anyway. It's a bit difficult, and you'll probably scratch up your arm, but (with the rear axle on stands and the rear wheels removed) you can sit just forward or behind of the axle and reach up the inside of the rear sheet metal and, with good reach, you can "feel out" the area over the rear wheel house, where it attaches to the outer quarter skin at the wheel opening area. This creates a valley on the backside of the quarter panel, about 2 inches above the wheel opening. Dirt and sand somehow make it in there, and they hold moisture which will eat through the sheetmetal from the inside. You may consider flushing this area out with a high pressure garden hose once a year, at least (preferably in spring, after the winter sand/salt season). I don't know how successful I was, as it was a blind reach, but I did my best to saturate this area with POR-15 after I cleaned it out. I just used a large, heavily loaded brush, and did a lot of reaching up and over. A bit messy, and even with thick sleeves I managed to scratch up my arm a bit, but I think it was worth it.

Old 09-15-2001, 06:14 PM
Bob_VT
Elder User
Tailgate rust

OIL New oil or used oil. We spray oil into our door panels, under the vehicle and into the tailgate. Oil undercoating is very popular here in VT. Even the police and sheriff's department get their vehicles oiled. This should be done about twice a year. Yes it is messy and drips from all your doors and panels but the dripping goes away in a few days. Hey it's cheap and very effective. I usually remove the tailgate panel and paint used oil into the tailgate then I load it right up by pouring in the rest. I do the same for my doors.

My condolances to all the families of people killed or injured on the recent attack on America. Fly your flag.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined." (Patrick Henry)