Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

HPOP Plug Leak Fixed, But Differently

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 PM
coop3526
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, thanks so much for all your help. I just got home, read all your input, had to go out and start it up to see what I would see. It is the front oil line and it looks like it is coming out between the manifold of the pump and the threads on the nut or more than likely a male treaded pipe fitting. Does the swivel come apart to get to the o-rings or are they on that male piece. I really like the diagram you posted for me. Thanks again
coop

Old 06-24-2008, 11:30 PM
dustan52
Senior User
Originally Posted by coop3526
Guys, thanks so much for all your help. I just got home, read all your input, had to go out and start it up to see what I would see. It is the front oil line and it looks like it is coming out between the manifold of the pump and the threads on the nut or more than likely a male treaded pipe fitting. Does the swivel come apart to get to the o-rings or are they on that male piece. I really like the diagram you posted for me. Thanks again
coop
Here is the link to my problem i had today and have fixed.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ite-smoke.html

If you look on the second page you'll see the plug and oring and tool i used to get the swivel off, i found an oring made of viton at autozone and some loctite.

You have to slide the tool in pic looks like a multi wrench) or get a door panel tool (i found it hard to use so i used the above tool)between the plastic and the oil line to pop it off, it is a quick disconnect line. Hope this helps...

Old 08-20-2011, 11:46 PM
Ctkallday666
Senior User
Hpop problem.

I kinda figured that my hpop is leaking oil. Found a build up in the valley under the fuel bowl. Its been leaking for a while but i think i need to fix it soon. My truck has been running real baddly. It struggles to get above 50 mph. Iam wondering if this is a hard task to do. And advice, links where i could by a o ring kit, or anything else well be awsome. Thanks.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Best place to get the o-rings is from Bob at DieselORings.Com

Pop

Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Deirdre 0414
Junior User
'01 250F power stroke hpop leak

OK, you guys be nice.. I'm just a lil girl here wf a big truck.. that has an oil leak in what appears to be the hpop. Ford dealership says "new hpop = $1200." But what I'm hearing (and I don't know squat) on here sounds like the hpop is leaking but actually working.. and maybe, just maybe a seal/plug can be replaced vs buying a new hpop? How does one know if the hpop isn't working? The truck's running like a scalded dog.. pulling 12000 lbs of horses & trailer.. she's a CHAMP. But she's leaking.. getting worse and now starting to need to add oil between changes.. not good.
Diagnosis of hpop by computer @ dealership & by back yard diesel machanic good ole boy down the road.. local guy thinks he can fix it (and Lord knows he works on every thing diesel) but he isn't a computer guy & didn't want to try to find the part. O'reilys told me there's no such thing (sucks being a girl sometimes) and Ford won't give me the part # (surprise). Help?!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to Bob's site at dieselorings.com and look under installation instruction for the HPOP. step by step on how to reseal not only the non-serviceable plug, but the other problem areas. Not hard to do but it is recommedned to remove the HPOP from the truck to do the work.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome Dierdre, Sponge has got you on the right path. Get with Bob and he will get you what you need for the guy who isn't a computer guy, but a good local diesel guy, to fix you all up.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:22 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Parts you need from Deselorings.

#8-002ex Extended HPOP O-ring kit with Full hose fitting repair kits

#8-007 Serviceable Replacement HPOP

Your backyard diesel mechanic can then do the proper job.

You work the keyboard and he turns the wrenches.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:00 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Bob is certainly your go-to guy in this department! He'll be even happy to take a phone call to talk your computer illiterate through this.

It's not rocket science, despite what your dealer tells you.

Of course, they have a financial interest in this being a HUGE, irrepairable problem.

But it isn't.

Pop

Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Deirdre 0414
How does one know if the hpop isn't working?
The HPOP is what feeds the oil to the fuel injectors to make them work. If your truck is running, your HPOP is working. If the HPOP is dead, the truck will not start. Period.

Welcome to FTE.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Deirdre 0414
Junior User
Oh, guys.. thanks so much for your help.. you are amazing. I got the links (thanks) and will order all that stuff from Bob.. today.. as it looks like SOMEONE's taking a vacation.. !!
one little question, do I need a fuel bowl reset kit, too? the site said I "might be interested" in that, too..
Happily NOT going to the damn dealership!
hugs!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:13 AM
DieselOrings
SPONSOR

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have to pull the pump (which is necessary when working on the serviceable plug), you must remove the fuel bowl first. The sleeves that seal the hard lines to the fuel bowl will not be reusable. You can get the sleeves by themselves but I always recommend to go ahead and get the full reseal kit and do the entire fuel bowl while is it on the workbench. The fuel bowl reseal kit contains the 4 sleeves that you need for the hard lines.

Just follow the directions and take it step by step. With that, my wife could do the job.

Specializing in Viton® o-rings and leak repair kits for the 7.3L and 6.0L diesels
(970) 368-4455 aka guzzle
guzzle's Mods & Maintenance website
Old 07-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Deirdre 0414
Junior User
Oh, Bob.. thanks! YOUR wife might be able to do it but not me! I'm chicken! Thank you (and guys!) for all your help..
hugs!

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 AM
SuperChicken55
New User
Thanks to all

I just had same problem. The truck is in the shop as we speak. Thanks to everyone for good info.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:50 PM
Deirdre 0414
Junior User
well, poor truck is BACK in the shop. Here's the story: mechanic fixed the leaking HPOP. I took it home, drove fine, I hooked up to the horse trailer & hauled an hr up the road, up a 6-7% grade, running GREAT. Got @ 30 min further & (of course) into the woods & it felt like the truck was not getting enuf fuel when I accellerated. Kept on worse & worse, finally, I'm 2 miles down a gravel windy road on a 15% uphill & NUTHIN~... kept putting into park, waiting for pressure to build up & then go a few feet with the accelerator floored, nothing. YUP had to back down 2 miles of gravel windy steep road wf the trailer. Limped back (coasting up hills) to a friends & then finally had to have it towed home. Limped to the Ford dealership.. they said the fuel pump was "going" bad. Replaced that. Still doing the same thing.. won't show any issues til miles down the road.. and then its almost like it won't shift down? In shop now to service the tranny.. hoping that its just clogged screens? 01 F250 7.3 ltr diesel 144k miles, most of 'em towing.

Quick Reply: HPOP Plug Leak Fixed, But Differently