6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Replacement Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Banksstroker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Intake Question

The other day I called AFE and requested information on their filters and if they had ever tested the filtration efficiency vs. a factory filter. The tech I spoke with said he would check so I gave him my cell phone and my email and I never heard back. Hearing from multiple FORD technicians at the dealerships that one of the main problems with the 7.3 and 6.0 was dusting the turbos from lack of intake maintenance or replacement of OEM intakes, I was leary, and wanted proof that what I was replacing my OEM component with was superior and would not void a warranty on my 6.4L. Does anyone have this data? Are these or other filters more efficient in filtration as well as air flow?

Banksstroker

Old 04-16-2007, 10:34 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
I am no pro, but Galpin Ford said by installing the AFE Pro Guard 7 (their top of the line filter) filter on my new 6.4L it would not void the warranty. I ordered one a week back and installed it this past Saturday. The product fits and looks great. I can also feel a slight better response with the throttle. Not to mention, I like the noise it added to the truck. I think it was well worth the money.

Nick

Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Your best bet is to check out there web sites and see if they do testing with their product vs factory vs other brands. Some are good and some are a waste of money and might cause problems in the future due to poor design.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:33 PM
JEEPSTER401
Freshman User
I have been through the same thing. From everything that I found was that a lot of aftermarket filters did not filter the air down to as small of partical micron size as the OEM did. This is how they can get their aftermarket filter to flow the extra volume of air compared to OEM. The larger partical size will dust the turbo as well as cause blow-by eventually. I run K&N in my jeep but that engine gets rebuilt regularly.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:52 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
The reason why aftermarket intake companies claim higher air flow is cause of the large filter surface but that only applies to certain vehicles. A round cone filter will have more surface area than a rectangular factory filter and thats why aftermarket intakes flow more air. Now some companies use cheaper cottongauze elements and thats the main reason why some people dust there turbos but now days they have the new dry filter elements that filter much better. I have a Volant Intake with a Pro guard 7 filter($98 filter element) and it def flows more air than the factory airbox and I also just got my Oil tested and it showed that my filter was filtering very well cause the oil test results showed a low silicone level. Just my .02

Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Copperkingf250
Junior User
Was there any noticable turbo whine that you could hear with the installation of the filter? How did the truck sound with the AFE filter vs. stock?

Old 04-17-2007, 08:27 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
I just installed the AFE Pro Guard 7 on my new 6.4L and I love it. Not only is the throttle response better, but I love the added sound. I now hear a slight whistle and the spooling of the turbos.

nick

Old 04-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Copperkingf250
Junior User
That sounds good. I'd love to hear a truck with the Pro Guard 7 in it. Where did you order your intake from?