Scratching my head....This is weird

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
BandtChsr
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scratching my head....This is weird

Hi
I know this is a Ford Truck site. But I just got a phone call that has me scratching my head.
My cousin has a old Chevy C 65 small dump truck. That he uses around his property.
It died on him this morning, he was able to restart it right away. It will sit there and Idle just fine. Step on the accelarator and nuttin... No speed up, no stumble, no miss.... nutting but a nice idle.
So with help from his brother. They started it again ( it starts right up every time). Opening the throttle by hand Bill saw the Accelarator pump squirt a good shot of fuel. NUTTIN happened, just sit there and idle. They repeated that a few times with no effect. Bill then got out the ether... with engine at idle, Bill open the throttle and sprayed a couple of shot in the carb. you guess it NUTTIN happen but a nice steady idle.
Now I'm not the world smartest person. But i know that when you open the throttle..... sumthin is suppose to happen...right or wrong sumthin has to happen....
If anyone has an idea i would be glad to hear it.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
> If anyone has an idea i would be glad to hear it.

A mouse built a nest under the carb, inside the intake, and it is stuffed full of leaves and bench seat foam?

Old 04-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Mark63
New User
With the engine off look down the carb and see if the throttle plates open when you move the throttle linkage. If that motor has vacuum governors the throttle linkage is not directly connected to the throttle plates. Could be a broken spring in the carb or throttle plates binding

Old 04-16-2007, 09:02 PM
Redcat Diesel
Posting Guru
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old GM trucks ran governered Holley carbs.I think Mark63 is on the right track. It's been several years since I've had 1 apart but they used a combination of linkage and vacuum servos to work the throttle plates.Likely 1 of the servos failed.These carbs were at best a pain in the a** to rebuild.I don't know how much your cousin is willing to spend on his truck but a governed Holley 4 bbl was in the $450 range in the mid 80's.If the carb is scrap he could use a basic 600 or so cfm carb but he would have to remember not to overrev it. Hope this helps.