N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Mud Bogs and Such

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 09:25 AM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mud Bogs and Such

You guys forget that we went over this before we started - is why we chose the equipment we did.

There are two types of organized races for the truck, both called mud bogs. They are held in the infield of an oval track and are generally in addition to the regular race card.

The first is just a single long pit, with the mud several feet deep. I have never seen these - but understand the pit is 4 feet deep. The idea is to jump off into the pit and the winner is the truck that goes the furthest.

The second is a sort of mud drag race. There are two long lanes with timing lights. Most tracks are 60 to 100 yards long with the mud about a foot deep. On command, you go from a standing start to a finish line. Winner is whoever gets to the light first, just like a drag race.

You swap lanes for the next heat.

Our challenge with the wimps from Las Vegas is for us to pick one course, and they get to pick another. I chose the mud bogs because there shouldn't be any argument over which one of us won that challenge.

It is likely they will pick a trail and either time crossing a section of that trail, or a hill climb. It could be something like a rock crawling, although I might refuse a pure rock crawl.

We don't have the details set - I couldn't do so until we set up a truck.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:46 AM
3Mike6
Postmaster
I'd think both the mud types of events you describe above, could use the same setup..and either I'd like to do...the rockcrawling oth the other hand..well, I'm too much of a wimp myself for that

Old 04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I am a newbie to this, but would rock crawling need a different type of suspension?
kgs

Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Yea, but all special trucks use something special. Also, you try for a flexible frame. You see them on TV, most are smaller rigs and spend a lot of time on their sides and roof - They also break a lot of drive-line parts.

Mostly the angles scare me - no way I would do it!

We don't know who will be driving our truck - it is open to anyone who has worked on it. Or maybe their children - kids are both quick and fearless. I know I would make a poor driver - I am too slow and careful - I hate to fix things!!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:07 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
I would be really scared to do a rock crawl. I also think it would be a waste to such a good looking straight body (I am talking about the truck, not me.)

Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Our truck wouldn't be suitable for rock crawling...too long, too big and heavy. The rock crawling rigs you usually see are small like early Broncos and BIIs, old style Toyota Land Cruisers, that sort of thing. I just ran across one being built locally. The guy had a Toyota 4-runner and rolled it so he scrounged an old Land Rover and is in the process of transfering all the Toyota running gear into it along with about a foot of lift. Looks interesting, although personally I'm not in love with the Toyota aspect of it. I'd have to go Ford...