Weighing my truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 11:54 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weighing my truck

Hi,

I just did some research at the DMV site and have a few questions about determining the weight of my truck. I am bringing it from out of state. Here is what the rules say:

Trucks or pickups with an empty or unladen weight of 6,000 pounds or less where the weight is indicated on an out-of-state certificate of title or registration and the vehicle has not been modified so as to change the weight.

Does anyone know what a usual 67-72 f250 highboy (4X4) weighs? I am guessing 5200-5500 lbs.

Where can I get my truck officially weighed?

I also found out that I might get some special exemptions since the truck is being transferred within the family!!! I am hoping I might actually get this registered in one day at the DMV. I am going to make an appointment tomorrow.

Thanks,
Karl

PS: I am bringing it back through Nevada. I'll scope out the mud-runner competition while there. I'll also try not to lose more than $20 while staying there!

Old 04-17-2007, 07:20 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Karl,
There is a place in Gardenerville Nevada that weighs trucks and gives you a certificate for CALIFORNIA DMV. There is also a place in Tahoe that will offer weight certificates, but Bings material in Gardenerville costs less. I forget the actual cost but I think it is around $20 or so.
Take off the tail gate, and whatever else that weighs much and will easily unbolt, and run the gas down as low as you can before weighing. If it is below a certain weight, it might save you in registration fees throughout the truck's life in California.
At Bings, they will allow you to weigh for free on their scales, and you can strip off some more stuff until you are ready, then do the official weighing for the certificate. (if it is worth it for you to go through all that)
I think that there are certain days that they aren't busy with weighing their big trucks hauling material, when it is best for you to go in and get weighed. Call them at (775)265-3641 to find out what day of the week is the best to go there, and maybe it will jive with your journey.
Also, when are you coming through town? Maybe stop in, if I'm not on shift at work. PM me with your itinerary. That is, if you're going to be passing through the Northern Nevada area?
Tim

Old 04-17-2007, 08:48 AM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Many truck stops have scales and can issue you a DMV weight certificate. Here's a list of Solano county public scales, you've got two right in Vallejo:

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/egov/dms/ps/psquery.asp?c=Solano

When I got my Ranchero which was a Nevada car, I found that the weight break came at #4000 or less. I got through the scales with it at #3980 as I recall (the second time...after I stripped a bunch of stuff off to lighten it!

My 4x2 '68 F250 came in at just under #5000. I didn't have to get a weight certificate on it, I was just curious,

I think it may be a bit optimistic to think you can get it through DMV in one shot. I believe you'll have to have the weight certificate in hand, and I since it comes from out-of-state they'll have to verify the VIN. In most cases they can do this themselves but of course you'll have to have the trucks there. Some vehicles (and I don't know what thre criteria is for this) have to have the VIN verified by CHP rather than DMV. That was the case with my motorcycle. They started to do and then realized it was one thay couldn't do so they sent me to CHP. The Rover they were able to do themselves and the paperwork for the Mercedes says that DMV can verify it.

I've rarely been succesful at getting through DMV in one shot, just when I think I have everything they'll need, they change the rules and come up with something else I have to get and bring back...

I wish you luck...

Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Good luck getting everything done in one day at the DMV. That place is designed to waste people's time. Just for reference, before the camper was installed on my '76 F-250 it was weighed by the previous owner, and came out at 4,760.