Equal-i-zer vs Reese Dual Cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 07:04 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Equal-i-zer vs Reese Dual Cam

We are looking at a larger TT and I figurer it was also time to upgrade from the friction anti-sway that I have now.

So as I am looking, I'm trying to decide between the Equalizer and Reese DC - but are priced about the same. I know both are highly rated, but has anyone used both, and was there a noticable difference between the two?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
weekendwander
Junior User
Yes, I have used both with different campers.

I had a 25 ultralight that I used the equal-i-zer brand hitch. I towed it with a jeep and expy. The equalizer worked just fine and I had no issues.

I now have a 31ft Jayco that I pulled with the Exyp and now the Excursion. I have a hand-me down reese dual cam. It works just fine and I have no issues.

Comparisions. The dual cam by nature of the design is a little nicer pulling down the road. I could tell that there was a little more load on one of the bars depending on the last turn I made. Never have the issue with Dual Cam

Both are about the same to hook up. With the Equalizer depending on your situation you may need to purchase the Equalizer specific snap up bar (for me it was much easier than pulling the bar up that last little bit. With my driveway and tow vehicles I couldn't lift the jack high enough so it would just slide in) With the Dual Cam any piece of pipe will work.

With the Equalizer it is easier to hook up at more extreeme angles but neither one is a cake walk.

The Dual cam I have had pop a bar out of the bracket in extreeme situations (one in a gas station, another 2 times while backing up) never had that with the Equalizer because you have more flexiblity in mounting the L brackets.

The Equalizer is a little noisier.

In the end I think that if I had to repurchase I would probably buy the dual cam. Not because either is better but because the Dual Cam is used more. If you ever need to upgrade bars or replace some part I think that it would very easy to find a used set laying around somewhere.

Also you may be able to put the cams on your existing hitch. It may be a cheaper solution than buying a complete new hitch. You may also want to call around to any local RV dealers. You may be able to find a used set-up really cheap.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:27 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Weekendwander,
Thanks for the reply.

The existing hitch is being replaced not only because I want something better, but also, the new TT exceeds (or os very close to) the max weight for the Husky.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:16 PM
weekendwander
Junior User
Either one will work. I would go with the cheaper of the 2 or get the reese if you think that a bigger trailer is in your future (since it will be easier to put larger bars on the reese)

Old 04-17-2007, 10:58 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If you already have a Reese weight distribution hitch, then buy the anti sway to go with it, if you start from scratch, get the Equalizer, because this will get you both weight distribution and 4 way antisway. It is actually half the price of a Reese full set up if starting from scratch based on the prices I could actually get it for where I am.

The Eq is true 4 way antisway (up, down, side to side), not just 2 way (side to side) like the Reese and imitator products. (because the chains dont provide the opposite force on the weight distribution bars, versus Eq where the L bracket and clip hold the Eq bar both up and down.

Probably lubricated and maintained the Eq is not noisy. Sticky un lubed bars will make noise, but a little white lithium goes a long way.

I think the Eq is easier to hitch and set up. I have owned and still use my Eq, I have only borrowed a Reese set up and towed twice so I could be biased.

Equalizer has a very good web site, you could review.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:07 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,420 Posts
I have the reese DC and pulled a 23' Areo Cub and now and 30' Brookside. Never had a problem with the hitch or DC system. Never had it "pop a bar" and it is as easy as any WD hitch. Just one more step and lying the bars in the DC before hooking the chains.

Can't say about the Equalizer never used them. sorry!

Rod

Old 04-18-2007, 12:08 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
Ok - I decided on the Equal-i-zer. Reason 1 - cost, reason 2 - we are considering a Keystone VR1 in the future and that is the only WD hitch that can be used for that particular trailer. I just spoke to a dealer about it and that's what I was told, so it could save us a few $$ now and again in the future.
Thanks for everyone's imput.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 AM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by MarkMoore
Ok - I decided on the Equal-i-zer. Reason 1 - cost, reason 2 - we are considering a Keystone VR1 in the future and that is the only WD hitch that can be used for that particular trailer. I just spoke to a dealer about it and that's what I was told, so it could save us a few $$ now and again in the future.
Thanks for everyone's imput.
Just curious...but which weight rating did you go with on your Equal-i-zer hitch?

I am asking because several are listed...and on rvwholesalers they have 3 the same price. I figure...go with the 1200/12000 just in case we grow with our TT.

Also...did the standard shank that came with the hitch work on your application? Or did you have to purchase a separate unit?

Thanks...

biz

Old 01-03-2008, 06:09 AM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I wne with the 1000/10000 becuase that as much *** the X would tow anyhow - if we ever go larger, then I just upgrade at that time.

I didn't purchae a shank with it, I used an existing one that I already had. I don't recall the size of the shank.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:49 AM
Hensley Ron
Junior User
Mark, if you want to really eliminate sway, take a look at the Hensley Arrow. It's expensive, but it uses engineering (a 4-bar linkage) to eliminate sway, not friction. Yes, I'm bias because I work for the company, but I'm also an engineer and know a great idea when I see it. The Arrow makes it impossible for the trailer to sway. From the standpoint of the trailer forward, you're a solid unit. From the truck standpoint, however, you've got complete freedom to turn because there's no friction involved.

Check it out at www.hensleymfg.com.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:50 AM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Curious... why is there NO information about your hitch or equipment on the website other than a single picture and a request for your address?

Old 01-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Hensley Ron
Junior User
There's links to the side and top that go into further detail. The best bet is to request the video. You get a lot more info that way. One of my goals this year is to completely change that website. Never been real happy with it. By the way, when you request info from us, you get one follow up phone call. We don't sell info or share it with anyone.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Ron speaks the truth, the hitch is expensive. But it is also the best pulling hitch out there. I have had the opportunity to sell a couple of these and do test pull, you can not feel the trailer bucking and throwing you around at all. Don't forget also that you just transfer the part over to the next trailer when you upgrade again. Only have to purchase the hitch once.

If it is a little out of your price range then go with the 4 point, noisey but it works great.

Toyman

Old 01-03-2008, 08:58 PM
Sean Woodruff
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
Mark, if you want to really eliminate sway, take a look at the Hensley Arrow. It's expensive, but it uses engineering (a 4-bar linkage) to eliminate sway, not friction. Yes, I'm bias because I work for the company, but I'm also an engineer and know a great idea when I see it. The Arrow makes it impossible for the trailer to sway. From the standpoint of the trailer forward, you're a solid unit. From the truck standpoint, however, you've got complete freedom to turn because there's no friction involved.

Check it out at www.hensleymfg.com.

I have to agree with Ron on this one. A Pivot Point Projection hitch is the way to go. The trailer will tow rock solid. As the former Vice President of Hensley Mfg. I have spoken to thousands of happy customers. Check out the newest of these designs at www.ProPrideHitch.com

The site also has the story of the man who invented and patented this revolutionary design in the use of eliminating trailer sway.

While there you can also find details on trailer sway causes.

Last edited by Sean Woodruff; 01-03-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:12 PM
MarkMoore
Posting Guru
I looked at all of these option when we were purchasing - it came to the Reese DC and the Equailzer becuase of the price. I would agree that the Hensley is the best (bar none) on the market - but it was way out of our price range. We had just adopted 2 kids, bought a new (used) TV and were looking at a new (used) TT... with little money left, we had only a couple of options.

I've been very happy with the Equalizer - yes, it makes a little bit of noise, but it works perfectly and it easy to hitch up. No regrets.

Quick Reply: Equal-i-zer vs Reese Dual Cam