Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Foose edition

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:15 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Foose edition

So - apart from the fact that its a silly name, what do people think of the forthcoming Foose edition?

Will it take off where they Lightning left off?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/news/idx...ough_F150.html

Last edited by BigF350; 04-16-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 AM
glasseater
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i say a lot quicker then the old lightning just because it has like 100 more hp and about 50 more ft lbs? but i hate that idea of a funkmaster flex explorer, boo!!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:27 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More weight than the Lightning too. I think it looks pretty good. Probably has more than enough power for me. I'd rather have that power in a less flashy package though.

I like the looks, I just wouldn't want to own it. Too much attention. I've always wanted a lightning sleeper. Keep the wheels, put on chrome bumpers and lose the ground effects.

If it's the basic 3v 5.4 with a blower slapped on and standard drivetrain behind it, I think the Lightning is a better performace package. The entire drivetrain was designed with performance in mind and has some room to spare. The Foose sounds like it's going to be close to the edge with otherwise regular components upon delivery. Maybe they made other changes or maybe the OE drivetrain is good for that much power and weight, just guessing at this point

Last edited by tdister; 04-16-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:11 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tdister
I've always wanted a lightning sleeper.
What do you mean when you say "sleeper", I've saw others refer to a sleeper as well...just can't figure it out.

Tim

Old 04-16-2007, 07:16 PM
85Ford
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
What do you mean when you say "sleeper", I've saw others refer to a sleeper as well...just can't figure it out.

Tim
Sleeper (car), an automobile that has any manner of modified engine, drivetrain, suspension, brakes or other parts, with the goal of improving its original performance, while still maintaining the outward appearance of a stock, factory equipped vehicle. The British term for this is Q-car
From Wikipedia

I like the way it looks. Should have a lot of power..

Old 04-16-2007, 07:17 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Goes hard - just doesn't look like it does.

"All sting - no bling"

Kind of the anti-thesis to a "ricer" for example...

I have a friend with a bog stock looking Volvo 244 wagon - powered by a 500hp turbo'd 4.0l I6. That is an example of a "sleeper".

Old 04-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Will it take off where they Lightning left off?
Nah...needs to built off a regular cab, short bed config. Somebody (popular car mag...can't remember which) just tested the same config. SC, LB w/the intercooled Supercharger. Was a bit slower than a stock Lightning.

Should I assume by this statement that the SRT-10 Ram is now discontinued?

To match its muscular look, the Ford F-150 Foose Edition is the most powerful and fastest half-ton truck on the market. The intercooled, supercharged Triton® V-8 pumps out 450 horsepower at 5,200 rpm and 500 pounds-foot of torque at 4,000 rpm.

"The Ford F-150 Foose Edition is the fastest truck period," says Matt O'Leary, Ford F-150 chief engineer. "And it's the only performance vehicle to offer the flexibility of the pickup bed."

Old 04-17-2007, 02:23 AM
Swift193
Junior User
Is this 150 Foose Edition a 4wd? If not how do they get all that power to the ground?

Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
"All sting - no bling"
The way it should be~

Old 04-17-2007, 06:45 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
2007 is/was the last of the SRT10 Ram.

Technically (from just HP to weight) it should be able to run with a Lightning, if not beat it. There is more to it than HP though, I have my doubts they will be faster in the 1/4.

The Foose should be 2wd, they start life as an FX2. I doubt traction will be that much of a concern until you really get on it. It won't be a handful to drive all the time or anything, but yeah, it should be able to roast em pretty good on call. From what I gathered (though I may be wrong), the F150 4/AWD isn't exactly designed for performance applications anyway, it wouldn't work as well as a Subaru's for example. Adds quite a bit of weight too.

Yeah, that's what I meant by sleeper. I'd 86 the L's tail lights also. That's why I got the Dakota that I have. Looks normal, goes fast.

Last edited by tdister; 04-17-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:10 AM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tdister

Yeah, that's what I meant by sleeper. I'd 86 the L's tail lights also. That's why I got the Dakota that I have. Looks normal, goes fast.
Boy was I wrong on what I thought a sleeper was. I've never heard the term used around where I live. I've only saw people here say it, and usually about older trucks...so I thought they were going to put a camper top on it, put a bed in it, and maybe heat/air conditioning...and use it like a camp truck. Then you said you wanted a lightning sleeper, so that really threw me off. I knew that either I was wrong, or you were crazy.

Tim

Old 04-17-2007, 07:57 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
"I knew that either I was wrong, or you were crazy"

Not both?

From Wiki on "Sleeper":

"The term comes from how an aggressive animal can seem gentle or perhaps friendly until awoken."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_%28car%29

I never understood it either, it was just another term I knew that didn't make much sense.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Swift193
Junior User
I've seen a video of a Ford Pickup, not sure what model, at the drag strip SMOKING everything. They showed about 5-7 runs and the closest thing to it was a Vet which went thru the traps faster in speed but about 1/2 second slower. It was definitely a 4wd, cause all 4 ofum were Smoking. I'll look and see if I still have it. But without any weight in the back, how do you get the Foose off the line? The fastest thing I ever had, besides my Triumph Bonneville bike, was a 1967 Plymouth GTX and I had to be careful how I got into it or they would burn too much. And I had put the biggest tires on they made for the street at the time, G70's I think.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 AM
tdister
Posting Guru
I'm talking on the street (not many turns on a drag strip). But yeah, you have a point for sure. It might not have an optimal distribution, but neither does a Lightning or my Dakota. I assure you they can launch pretty well in the right hands, even better with some simple mods. Heck the Foose probably has more total and % of it's weight on the rear than either with that 5.5 ft bed on it.

You are also talking about WAY more tq. in that diesel (if it's the same on I've seen and am thinking of). Similar concept, way different machine. That's another topic in itself.

I'm not saying it wouldn't help but, as an overall machine, it will probably serve better as a 2wd. It will handle better for sure (among other reasons). They had AWD Tcases when the Lightnings were being built, and there's a reason(s) they didn't put them in.

Once you get that much traction, you are going to be stressing things like the tranny even more.

Last edited by tdister; 04-17-2007 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:27 PM
FLYBOY07
Senior User
hmm that should be good enough to put that HIDEOUS looking tundra in its place don't you think boys?

Quick Reply: Foose edition