Sponsored by:

Diesel 1 or diesel 2

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:44 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeHD

As far as the additives go, he is right about not needing any if the fuel is anything like (or is) the Amoco/BP Premier Diesel.

I'll vouch for that, we never use additives. Any experimentation with them in the past has only resulted in higher operational costs per mile and driveability issues.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:54 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by origcharger
I'll vouch for that, we never use additives. Any experimentation with them in the past has only resulted in higher operational costs per mile and driveability issues.
Cost of the Supreme this morning was $3.459 . orig, whats up with the lack of sulfer though, I keep reading that this reduced the amount of lubrication for our injectors. I have also noticed a decrease in GPM since the change???Not trying to put you on the spot, but I figure you should have a few more answers then I do..

Old 11-05-2007, 09:13 AM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Because of emissions concerns all on road diesel has had its sulfer reduced to 15 ppm or less. The process of removing the sulfer alledgedly reduces the lubricity of the fuel, there are lubricity standards that the fuel has to meet so the refiners/suppliers alledgedly use an additive to meet those standards.
Lots of aftermarket additive suppliers are looking to score because of lubricity concerns.
So far we have not seen any drop in fuel mileage that can be attributed to the Ultra Low Sulfer fuel.

Last edited by origcharger; 11-05-2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:24 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
this is what I was reading from

Here you go. Was found on another site for what it's worth. I don't know the effect of these items items long term so use at your own risk.
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%">Here you go. Was found on another site for what it's worth. I don't know the effect of these items items long term so use at your own risk.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 11-05-2007, 09:25 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Ok, sorry< I am bit of a hack when it comes to this cut and paste stuff, but this was some of the info I was refering to. And again, please know, I am coming to you with this info, becaus I figure you got a little more heads up then I do....

Old 11-05-2007, 12:14 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by origcharger
I did not use additives while I was using Premier, but I have found that my truck did/does like a shot of Power Service when I used non premium LSD and now with the ULSD.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
just another truck
Hotshot
I did not use additives while I was using Premier, but I have found that my truck did/does like a shot of Power Service when I used non premium LSD and now with the ULSD.

Do you believe it was cetane, or the added lube? Or both

Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
The 6.0 engine loves higher cetane fuels.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:01 PM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by just another truck
Do you believe it was cetane, or the added lube? Or both
I will have to agree with bigredtruckmi and say that the cetane rating is what helped the most. I believe a cetane rating of 45 minimum is what Ford recommends for the PSD's. The nice part about the high quality premium diesel is it is refined for a higher cetane rating rather than being beefed up with cetane in a bottle.

Here is information on the old LSD Amoco Premier...

http://www.smithsmarina.com/Amoco_Premier_Diesel_Fuel_LS.pdf

Old 11-06-2007, 07:12 AM
JLDickmon
Elder User
The nice part about the high quality premium diesel is it is refined for a higher cetane rating rather than being beefed up with cetane in a bottle.
Well, good luck with that. I'm not going to say none of them do anymore, but it's rare.
It simply takes too long.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
oltrucker
Senior User
there is only one fuel now,,ulsd and lsd. there is no kerosene or #2 sold at any gas station anyplace in the usa. ulsd diesel fuel is not mixed with kerosene{winter blend|. those days are gone. you may be able to find lsd at some truck stops, but it is just about gone . most have the ulsd only. all this stiuuff about what is 1 2 3 4 kero etc is a buch of malarky anyway. #2 is still being made. it is what goes into your home heating tank. even all the off road red fuel in my area in ny state is lsd or ulsd with the red dye in it. at the stations,,you will only find lsd and ulsd. sice most dont have the tanks for it , they now have only ulsd.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:37 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Here is a link to exxon. Yes we burn #2 fuels only without as much sulfur we use to have. Yes Kero is available. Here in Michigan we have fueling tanks of it available.

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM..._Fuels_FAQ.asp

Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM
jorlee
Senior User
Originally Posted by oltrucker
there is only one fuel now,,ulsd and lsd. there is no kerosene or #2 sold at any gas station anyplace in the usa. ulsd diesel fuel is not mixed with kerosene{winter blend|. those days are gone. you may be able to find lsd at some truck stops, but it is just about gone . most have the ulsd only. all this stiuuff about what is 1 2 3 4 kero etc is a buch of malarky anyway. #2 is still being made. it is what goes into your home heating tank. even all the off road red fuel in my area in ny state is lsd or ulsd with the red dye in it. at the stations,,you will only find lsd and ulsd. sice most dont have the tanks for it , they now have only ulsd.
Your not going to convince me that there isn't any #1 or #2 in the USA. Wh,y because my last fill I blended #1 with #2. How did I know, because it was 10 degrees outside, and the #2 pump was way slower than the #1 pump. When the loader tractor gets a tankful of #1 from the Fuel guy, he goes straight to the diesel tank on the house w/o changing the tank on the truck he's taking from. If I put #2 in the home heating tank. I'd be one cold SOB, be cause it wouldn't making it into the house, when it got cold. All fuels in my area have been ULSD for over a year now, be it #1 ULSD, #2 ULSD,
#1 ULSD Dyed or #2 ULSD Dyed.
You can't tell me that diesel used to be vastly different. Only thing that has changed is the additive packs, and the removal of sulfer. You also can't tell me or my Fuel Supplier that #1 and #2 don't exist.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by oltrucker
whowhat?

I just bought 5 gallons of Kerosene at the pump. There is also #1 and #2 still sold here too. I think that you might have some information mixed up...