Sponsored by:

Lost bronco

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2002, 02:48 PM
4xfordman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost bronco

I was recently in a car crash and it looks like my 88 ford bronco, 351W, c-6 is dead. Now its time for a new vehicle. I was wondering how those newer style broncos are and if its better to get a more expensive bronco with the mass air or just another old one and convert is better. I like those really old broncos in the 70's but they don't have enough space for all my crap as a college student. I was thinking about a 97 and newer f150 but I really miss my bronco. thanks to everybody on this site. It rocks.

Old 01-22-2002, 04:55 PM
fast_eddy
Senior User
Lost bronco

Hey 4xfordman, sorry about the loss!

I've got a '96 Ford Bronco XLT with the 5.8 and mass air flow, and I love it. I haven't had a single complaint with it since I bought it! It runs strong, even with my 35" tires on it, and still manages 13-14 miles per gallon (that's mostly city driving).

Old 01-22-2002, 08:10 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
Lost bronco

4xfordman,
Sorry to hear about that.

We have a 96. It has run well. The later years have improved E4OD, side impact "beams", air bag, better rust proofing (esp. in the rear wheel well arches that are "open" and easier to clean out), crush type front frames (accordion horns).
Some draw backs are:
getting read-outs without the software and pc available
ABS probs for some people
electric transfer case shift (we have the man. shifter)
auto hubs

basically illegal to remove the top (hi mount brake light and rear seat safety belt issues)

Old 01-24-2002, 02:37 AM
4xfordman
Senior User
Lost bronco

hey AIM, I was able to install some tow hooks on the front of my vehicle on the frame. With these "acordian horns" are they able to be mounted?

Old 01-24-2002, 09:06 AM
AlM
Posting Guru
Lost bronco

Gabe,
There are some differences of opinions on towing or pulling a later model Bronco (92+) with accordion frame horns, using tow hooks mounted on the horns or chains around the horns.
I too wanted to mount hooks on our 96, but the local off road shop advised against it, saying a hard, jerk or other strong stresses would mis-align the section, etc and possibily cause damage to the radiator, tranny fluid lines, and oil cooler lines.

I asked in the ford-truck Newsgroup and a few have stated that they have winched late model (90's) f 150 4x4's and Broncos using the hooks up front or chains around the horns with no problems.

Here is what the Owner's Guide states: "Never use a tow bar that attaches to the bumper when you tow your vehicle. This could damage the bumper and cause an accident." That's all it says.

When we were stuck frame-deep in a sand dune 2 years ago, the tow company (his tow truck got stuck too and the company called in a huge tractor trailer tow rig in to pull both of out in tandem) wouldn't tow from the front; they positioned in order to tow from the rear frame.

There is a web site in the "other" Big Bronco web site that has a Tech Article on mounting hooks on 92 and up broncos.

Another issue with the accordion frame sections is that some brush guards/push bars'winch bumpers, etc. are not "rated" for use on these models/years due to air bag compatibilty. Here is what Warn states:
"Warn designs and manufacturers several different mounting systems to accommodate our recreational vehicle winches. When properly mounted, these systems do not interfere with the factory air bag system. This opinion is based on analysis by our engineers and a limited number of crash tests. When installing a winch mount on a vehicle, the installer should take care to ensure that placement of the mount does not interfere with the factory air bag sensors. In addition, the vehicle sensors should not be moved or modified in any way. It is not practicable to test every possible vehicle and winch mount combination, and Warn has not attempted to do so. We recommend that the user check with the vehicle manufacturer and a reputable, qualified mechanic to determine whether a particular installation may interfere with the air bag system. The consumer should then make a personal decision as to the appropriateness of this accessory for the particular vehicle. Warn cannot and does not guarantee the proper operation of the vehicle's air bag system if the winch is mounted contrary to the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations."

And here is what SEMA stated: "...Kia was another manufacturer which sent its dealers a Technical Service Bulletin, saying, "This bulletin provides information strongly discouraging the installation of aftermarket front-end accessories for Sportage models equipped with Air Bag Supplemental Restraint Systems." Kia was concerned about the effects of accessories on air bag deployment. It stands to reason that nobody would want to install anything that affected a safety device, but it can be noted that GM has conducted, for its own edification, more than one very expensive crash test with aftermarket brush guards attached to the full-size C/K trucks.

From eye-witnesses standing there watching, the air bag deployment was not affected by the particular brush guard tested. Unfortunately, the results of those tests are proprietary, so if the aftermarket wants to sell brush guards and other devices that might affect a vehicle's safety, it's the company's responsibility to try and work with the OEM by utilizing SEMA's program for increased OEM communication, or to conduct its own testing, much as performance parts manufacturers have to do to meet the requirements of the Clean Air Act and OBD-II technology..."
http://www.sema.org/semanews/november99/omesaftermarket.html

Finally..lol..we did install a Setina military/police Push bar; the firm claims it is air bag compat.

Old 01-24-2002, 03:41 PM
4xfordman
Senior User
Lost bronco

Thanks for the info...I'll have to look into a new way of recovery for a 92+ bronco...or else I can just be the first to go in everytime and scout it out and be pulled back from the rear...lol

Old 01-24-2002, 05:10 PM
galaxiefiveohoh
Senior User
Lost bronco