1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake line replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Bowstring
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake line replacement

After reading some post of the brake line from front to back behind the fuel tank on the super duty rusting and leaking, I see mine has some rust on it and was thinking of changing.I was told by a brake shop its a 3 hour job. Anyone ever changed theirs, how much of a job is it? I would think you could have a new one made up or buy from Ford.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:03 PM
enjoythetrack
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bowstring
After reading some post of the brake line from front to back behind the fuel tank on the super duty rusting and leaking, I see mine has some rust on it and was thinking of changing.I was told by a brake shop its a 3 hour job. Anyone ever changed theirs, how much of a job is it? I would think you could have a new one made up or buy from Ford.
i assume you are talking about the hard-lines, so 3 hours seem like 2 hours too long, especially that they are easily accessible on a truck once she is up on a lift (though can be done with the truck as is or on jack stands).

If you have never done brake lines i'd suggest ordering the part from Ford if you want to DIY. REMEMBER: brake fluid is highly corrosive, so do not let it touch painted surfaces and wear blue ?nikosil? blue plastic gloves (not the tannish/brown ones).

Basically, remove all tires, unhook old lines and install new lines with ?necessary? crush washers (if it has any). Then bleed the brakes at the caliper starting with the brake furthest away from the master cylinder. You want to be sure all air is out of the lines. This is a VERY BASIC synopsis and NOT a highly detailed version. If in doubt, DON'T as brakes are a critical safety feature. A newbie should be able to so it in two hours i'd guess when only using hand tools. If you have a few hours on your hands, replace ALL lines, in for a penny in for a pound and an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Bowstring
Senior User
Yes its the hard line back, the main reason I asked was the brake shop sounded like you have to move the fuel tank out of the way . Would get the part from ford so its right to fit. Also seen on some sponsors site kits for all 4 wheels, the rubber lines from hard to brake calibiars .

Old 04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
enjoythetrack
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bowstring
Yes its the hard line back, the main reason I asked was the brake shop sounded like you have to move the fuel tank out of the way . Would get the part from ford so its right to fit. Also seen on some sponsors site kits for all 4 wheels, the rubber lines from hard to brake calibiars .
If your truck has the off-center gas tank, maybe it does need to be removed. Without seeing the setup in person can't say either way. My 2008 has center tank so lines are probably very easily accessible (never looked, the truck is a week young).

Perhaps it would take 3 hours to redo ALL your lines from MC to the 'soft-lines' (rubber hoses from hand-line to caliper) on your truck. If you have some local shade tree mechanic friends it can be done, but again i STRONGLY suggest when in doubt don't as brakes are critical safety items.

NOTE: am not going to tell him how to custom make and bend brake line tubes, flare ends, etc. Not something i want to try and describe online.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:52 AM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Replacing the brake line is a pretty simple and straight forward procedure....

It's the damn little details that make the difference. 1. The job will be tons easier if you have access to a lift vs. trying to reach behind, around, over to reach the connections. If you've ever done one of these 'little jobs' you know that the engineers are deviously clever at making things hard to reach. 2. Do you have a good guide to get you through the steps...enjoy the track has walked you through the basics, but again the details, what size tools, what has to be disconnected or moved to reach the lines.

Other than those two little details, like enjoythetrack said...it's simple. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:17 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
Mine does have the off center tank up next to the frame. I have done different repairs in the past, but will probally take it to a local shop with a lift, which will make it easier, and will know exactly what to order.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:08 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Ist off you can't get lines from the dealer.. The tank should be dropped and a new line made and installed.. Its a 1/4 inch line I used a 5/16 clear tubing shield that I got at my hardware store to go over the line to prevent future issues..I sealed with silicone and a tiewrap at the ends..I used graphite to help me slide it on the line before I bent the line...Line comes in 25 ft rolls. I have all the flaring tools so it just takes time..A shop won't go through all this unless you demand it.

Dick

Old 04-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
Thanks for the response, Are these special flaring tools or are the ones for flaring soft copper the same.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:20 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

No steel line does take a different tool that grabs the metal lines better. Plus you need to get one that does a double flare. These are a little tricky at first but with practice on a piece of scrap its a no brainer...The tank comes out pretty easy without raising the truck but I would get it almost empty. You will need a fuel line tool. Really easy with the bed off..I replaced all my vent hose metal with rubber fuel line because it rusts also. Whilest I were in there.

Dick

Old 04-07-2007, 12:25 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

I might add to do this brakeline you should should be a pretty experienced mechanic or a patient perfectionist who has the time to do it right..Have the right tools etc.

Dick

Old 04-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
I was a heavy equipment operator by trade never a mechanic, but have alway been mechanicaly inclined and wrenched on things when needed but will probally take it to a shop instead of buying special tools and not having access to a lift of any kind . The body doesn't move like it did when young. thanks for the advice.