Sponsored by: DP Tuner

CPS question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 PM
xrDan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPS question

My truck died on me this evening. I was driving down the highway, the check engine light came on for about two seconds, and then the engine just quit. It turns over just fine, but won't fire.

My guess is the cam position sensor. My question is this....

When I turn the engine over, the tach moves slightly. It is my understanding that if the CPS goes out, the tach won't move off of zero. Is this correct?

I have a 2000 7.3 PSD with approx 183,000 on the original CPS. I have plenty of oil in the crankcase, oil pressure when cranking, less than 10,000 miles on the fuel filter, and almost half a tank of diesel.

What say you?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 AM
triton185
Junior User
I just had to replace mine last week. Mine cut off a couple of times driving down the road and once took about 5 minutes to crank up again. When I was trying to crank it, the tach did not move. I changed the cps and no prob since. Good luck

Old 04-06-2007, 12:15 AM
ernesteugene
Postmaster
I've read that some tachs move with a bad CPS and some don't. Try removing CPS plug and crank once to see if tach still moves.

edit If you have a plug in chip, try removing it.

Last edited by ernesteugene; 04-06-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 AM
xrDan
Junior User
Originally Posted by ernesteugene
I've read that some tachs move with a bad CPS and some don't. Try removing CPS plug and crank once to see if tach still moves.
I sincerely mean no disrespect, but what will that prove?

Originally Posted by ernesteugene
edit If you have a plug in chip, try removing it.
Factory chip....no performance mods on this engine. Pretty much bone stock.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM
xrDan
Junior User
Originally Posted by triton185
Mine cut off a couple of times driving down the road and once took about 5 minutes to crank up again.
Mine never fired up again.
I was on the side of the road for about an hour, waiting on a friend to tow me home. It's fairly chilly out tonight. I had heard that they sometimes will start again when the CPS cools, but not for me.

Originally Posted by triton185
Good luck
Thank you.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:00 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when my cps went.. it fired up once then died a mile later and would not fire up again..my tack would jump around from 0 to 1500 but truck would not fire..new CPS and it ran great..

Old 04-06-2007, 04:35 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
It's probably the CPS or it could be the fuel heater shorted out. I think thats the #22 Maxi fuse under the hood check it before changing the CPS. If thats the problem you can just unplug it ,change the fuse and drive away!!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
xrDan.....I am just down the road from you in Willis (20 miles) and I have a spare CPS. If you want to pop it in to try and see if that is really what the problem is I would be willing to meet you to help you out. Let me know.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 AM
xrDan
Junior User
Originally Posted by Texas Outlaw
xrDan.....I am just down the road from you in Willis (20 miles) and I have a spare CPS. If you want to pop it in to try and see if that is really what the problem is I would be willing to meet you to help you out. Let me know.
Thanks Scott. That's a very generous offer. I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase one. Even if it doesn't solve my problem, I will have a spare for the glove box.

I do have a question for you...
I need to get one today. I called Gullo Ford in Conroe last night (in case you didn't know, they are open 'til midnight), and they want $206 after tax for a CPS. Do you think I can find one cheaper at Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc?
I saw them for $58 shipped on eBay, but I can't wait for shipping.

I have a friend in town that has loaned me her car for the day, so driving to auto parts stores isn't a problem. Do you think any of those places on Sheppard (Houston) will have a new CPS? There's a couple dozen salvage yards down there, but I don't want a used one.

Last edited by xrDan; 04-06-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
I would imagine you could find one cheaper than the dealer at one of the parts houses like you mentioned. I have heard that the CarQuest CPS modules are problematic so I would stay away from those. There is an O'Reilly's in Willis on 75 just south of downtown in case you don't have one in Huntsville. Not sure what all is available down on Shepperd as I rarely go to Houston unless I am going to Diesel Innovations on FM 1960.

I wonder if you could purchase one from an International parts dealer? I don't have the International part number handy but I bet you could search online and find it. The International parts dealer in Houston can be reached at 713.674.3444.

Post back or PM me if you need help.

Last edited by Texas Outlaw; 04-06-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
Originally Posted by xrDan
Thanks Scott. That's a very generous offer. I think I'm going to go ahead and purchase one. Even if it doesn't solve my problem, I will have a spare for the glove box.

I do have a question for you...
I need to get one today. I called Gullo Ford in Conroe last night (in case you didn't know, they are open 'til midnight), and they want $206 after tax for a CPS. Do you think I can find one cheaper at Napa, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc?
I saw them for $58 shipped on eBay, but I can't wait for shipping.

I have a friend in town that has loaned me her car for the day, so driving to auto parts stores isn't a problem. Do you think any of those places on Sheppard (Houston) will have a new CPS? There's a couple dozen salvage yards down there, but I don't want a used one.
You could also check the International dealer they're about 50% cheaper than Ford up here

Old 04-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Oops, Randy and I thought of the International dealer at the same time and I edited that into my post.

I found a part number for the International blue CPS (what I have for a spare). It is:
IHC#1807339C92

Old 04-06-2007, 08:05 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
The International part# is 1807339C92 (the CPS should be blue in colour)

Old 04-06-2007, 08:06 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
SOrry I just did the same thing with the # it took me a minute to grab the box. Mine was 123$ canadian about a week ago.

Last edited by Randy Pederson; 04-06-2007 at 08:08 AM. Reason: add on
Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Great minds think alike!

Quick Reply: CPS question