Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a former rental, good idea or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 AM
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying a former rental, good idea or bad?

My truck was a former rental in tenessee, and then sold to a private owner in my area for a year and a half or so, then i became the owner. Just saw another thread where 2 of the excursions the user was looking at were both former rentals.

Im wondering 2 things. 1. Just how many of us have formner rentals? Were these very common rental vehicles? 2. Do you feel its better to get a rental since they got regularly scheduled maintenance? Or is it bad due to some of the stupid things people tend to do to rentals?

Id just like t o hear everyones opinions on it. Im on the fence still, but still bought a former rental as it was an all black 4X4 limited ultimate, didnt have the DVD or 4 captains but iw as ok with that. Didnt find too many more clean ones in all black limited and v10.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I think the Excursion's rental rates put it out of the range of folks who abuse rental cars.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 AM
RACERX7775
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would buy it if you had all the maintenance records.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:46 AM
phil6608
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't care how much it is to rent I will run a rental harder then anything I own,,lol
Just because it's a little more to rent people will still drive it like they stole it!

Old 04-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Slamdunkpro
Senior User
Mine was a rental for Hertz. Biggest issue was trying to get Hertz to give me the maintenance records before I bought it. It was well maintained and serviced regularly.

Old 04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think people mess up rentals as much as they, themselves, claim. A ticket is still a ticket, no matter what vehicle you drive. Yes, there are bad apples but very few and very far between.

If someone actually messes up a rental, they mess it up for real and insurance gets into the play.

I'd buy a rental before I bought from the average joe with the same vehicle and price. Rental companies have written confirmation of ALL maintenance records. How many citizens have that?

Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
dbtx
Senior User
My `05 Limited V10 4x4 was a former Hertz rental. We bought it at 16K miles and now have 35K on it. It has been a great truck, and it came with the 5/60 powertrain warranty thrown in because it was a "certified" used vehicle.

When we bought it, the exterior had a few minor scuffs on it, but the interior was pretty much pristine. This vehicle has definitely changed my mind about buying a former rental. I was hesitant when I bought our Ex, but I'd do it again without reservation.

Doug

Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
vettdvr
Posting Guru
Everytime I rented an SUV type it was business travel with lots of people. Could not hot rod it,, had to drive conservative. So they might be in good shape. Jim

Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM
BigFord74
Senior User
Your prolly talking about my post's and i'll be honest i'm kinda glad they are rental's means they shouldn't, not that you can't but shouldn't have been used to tow anything. Let alone anything heavy. Again i say they shouldn't have been.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:32 PM
jmhauke
New User
My 02 was a rental for Hertz, I think, only one problem that is not common, one of the carrier bearings in the rear went out right after I bought it but I got the dealer to pick up most of the tab for that. The only other big expense was ball joints at 50K miles which I consider pretty normal. My wife's Mustang was also a rental. Unfortunately her car was damaged and the damage covered up, don't know if it was the rental company, the wholesaler or the dealer I bought it from that did the coverup. The damage doesn't hurt the way it runs but I won't sell it without repairing it. That doesn't mean I won't buy another rental but next time I'll spend a lot more time looking it over.

Jim

Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 AM
BULLDOG-X04
Junior User
I just bought an 04 Black Eddie Bauer. Based on Carfax, it was regisstered as rental for 9 months following production, sold to private owner, then to me. Only had 40K miles, which is a lot lower than many I looked at. Plus, i rreally wanted a black LTD, but those are impossible to find in good shape and after seeing this EB I was sold. Very clean, has run great so far but it's only been 2 weeks! Good luck!

Old 04-08-2007, 12:17 PM
rikosintie
Senior User
Mine is an '02 that was a Hertz rental. I did Carfax, called Ford with the VIN and got the details of what it had on the original sticker, etc. It had 18,000 when I bought it and now has 48,000 with no problems. It tows a Toyhauler almost everytime it is out so those are hard miles in the Southern California mountains. Of course it looks a little different now than it did when I bought it.
Michael

Old 04-08-2007, 06:14 PM
nordy racer
Senior User
Originally Posted by dbtx
My `05 Limited V10 4x4 was a former Hertz rental. We bought it at 16K miles and now have 35K on it. It has been a great truck, and it came with the 5/60 powertrain warranty thrown in because it was a "certified" used vehicle.

When we bought it, the exterior had a few minor scuffs on it, but the interior was pretty much pristine. This vehicle has definitely changed my mind about buying a former rental. I was hesitant when I bought our Ex, but I'd do it again without reservation.

Doug
your story is just like mine.. but mine had 19K and has 33K on it now.. they also gave me the 5/60 on top of the 3 /36 warrenty.. i haven't had a single problem with the X, she has been great to me..

i had a friend detail the exterior due to the marks and everything came out..

BUT i don't trust rental cars and their history and i will not buy one again..

Old 04-08-2007, 07:05 PM
73f100shortbed
Postmaster
As Jeff Foxworthy said buying a rental car is like looking for a wife at a house of ill repute.

I worked for a rental car company for awhile and on average people beat the hell out of the cars. But companies like Hertz and Enterprise maintain their cars pretty well. From the replies people seem to be having good luck with their purchases. Personally I wouldn't buy one based on what I've seen people do with the rentals and my boss' lack of maintenance on the vehicles. The only somewhat maintained vehicle was the tow truck which I drove often to pick up broken rentals.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:31 PM
bigexpo
Senior User
mine was a rental a 1999 buick regal ls with leather. it runs perfect with 149340k yeah baby

Quick Reply: Buying a former rental, good idea or bad?