1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Shifter Saga

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:52 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter Saga

I was tired of my old floppy shifter, it was too short, and too close to the seat. Came I believe from a mustang with the C4 trans installed by the PO.(musta been a console mount, was only about 5" tall)

Jacked the truck up on jack stands, after removing the seat, and proceeded to tear out the old rubber mat, insulation, and god knows what else.

Turns out the PO installed a 1/8" inch thick plate as a trans cover, and instead of bending it up for the dash, had two separate pieces glued together with silicone rubber, and lo and behold it's holding together.

Anyhoo, got it off so I could take a look at the trans shift linkage. A third shift lever had been welded onto the shift shaft that comes out of the side of the trans. About a half hour with my trusty old Dremel(handy little tool), I finally got it all ground off and all of the old linkage removed.

Installed my shiny new Lokar(boy, that stuff is pretty) Floor Mounted shifter brackets, plate, shifter arms, and shift rod. Tried out the old tranny cover plate and of course, it's about 4" off to the side of the original hole.

Next is to find some sheet metal (where in the world do you buy sheet metal) to make a new tranny plate, start figuring out how to install the kickdown lever(I know it goes over the square lug at the end of the shift shaft, but can't figure out what holds it on.

Next to find out how to hook up the wiring so it'll only start in Park & Neutral. No wires were there, so will have to find out where to start.

A good day's progress nevertheless, now for some "frosties" and a little rest.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:10 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Bad news on the kickdown lever, PO must have broken it off. The lever is bradded to the end of the shaft which is held in position by a snap ring inside the transmission. You even have to drop the valve body to get to it.

Old 03-30-2007, 07:40 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Kd

I'm intrigued because the trans shifted down as normal, but there was nothing hooked up to the kickdown lever. The only hookup was the shifter itself. So, I'm puzzled.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,951 Likes on 1,885 Posts
I'm envious, first a shiny Lokar shifter and then frosties too?? dang

You can get sheetmetal anywhere, even at the local econobox hardware stores (of course it way overpriced) If it were me I'd look in the yellow pages for a local HVAC or mechanical contractor. They typically have their own sheetmetal shops and fab up their own ductwork. I'll bet in trade for a few cold sodas the guys in teh shop will give you a few drops.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 03-30-2007, 10:19 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
sheet metal

Bobby, why didn't I think of that, Thanks, Jim

Old 03-31-2007, 12:13 AM
angus
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about the covers or sides of old computer cases?

Old 03-31-2007, 07:14 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jimhackney
I'm intrigued because the trans shifted down as normal, but there was nothing hooked up to the kickdown lever. The only hookup was the shifter itself. So, I'm puzzled.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:14 AM
jimhackney
Senior User
4 bbl

You're probably right, I didn't think of that. What's the harm in running without a kickdown. I sure don't need the extra umph as I don't think I'll be passing a lot of cars.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 AM
ksmith203
Posting Guru
Morning Jim.

Looks like you making some progress. The problem for me is I always find something else to fix next. i will finish my brakes today and put front clip on. I will start around 2.00 pm

Old 03-31-2007, 10:21 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jim--go to Lowes or Home Depot or Tractor supply.They all carry sheet metal of sorts,and heavier.I hate finding po work that needs redone.I always get the vehicle home and find sawdust in the tranny.--haha!!That Lokar shifter will loog good!!!!!Bill

Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 AM
jimhackney
Senior User
never ends

You're right, Kevin, now I might as well clean off the floor, prime and paint it, then new padding and rubber mat, and while the seat is out may as well recover it and get rid of the gold plush bordello stuff that's on it, then redo the trans cooler lines to the radiator, etc, etc, etc.

Old 04-02-2007, 04:45 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Update

Totally wasted weekend as far as the truck concerned. Today tho, looked everywhere for sheet metal, Lowes, Home Depot, etc, nobody had sheet metal big enough. Passed a collision shop, wondered if they had any scrap metal they wanted to sell, lo & behold, they love to sell their leftover sheet metal. Bought a 2.5' x 3.0' pc right out of the center of an scrap hood ($10), and bingo I had my new transmission cover plate. Went to the shop, made a cardboard template, cut it out, bent it up(only two straight bends), and it fits.

The PO had cutoff the threaded stud that holds the kickdown lever onto the kickdown shaft in the transmission, but today met a kid with a mig, whose coming over tonight to tack the lever onto the stud, another problem solved. Progress we are making!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,951 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Woohooo!!

A few more items ticked off the "to do" list

Bobby

Old 04-02-2007, 05:43 PM
mcdonaldm
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
automatic trannies will downshift without the kickdown hooked up. the kickdown is in essence a manual downshift device hooked to the carburator. the tranny thru the valve body under certain conditions (internal pressure sensing and vacuum modulater) will cause the tranny to downshift on its own, but not usually as quick or when you want it to like the kickdown lever does.

didn't install a lockar shifter, but the B&M shifter I installed had micro-switches for the neutral safety and back-ups lights as part of the shifter package. Lockar should also i would think have these included or at least as an option.

rgds
Mike

Old 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
jimhackney
Senior User
Lokar

Yeah, Mike, the shifter has a neutral switch incorporated into it, I just gotta figure out how to wire it up, I've been looking at some wiring diagrams and it seems it is between the ignition switch and the starter relay. Will figure it out, cause I want it hooked up.

Jim