Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Still pinging - what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Eric K
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Still pinging - what next?

I have a 2001 SD F-250, V10, 86K miles, AT, 4X4, 3.73 with stock size tires.
The truck pings significantly, even under very moderate engine load, with 87 octane fuel. The pinging is most noticeable in OD at 1500-1800 RPM at very moderate engine loads. It will also ping at higher RPM, but it takes a significantly heavier load or acceleration to get it to ping at higher RPM.
Other than the pinging the truck runs quite well and averages about 11-12 MPG for local non-freeway driving.
I have always run Chevron gas in the truck since I bought it 7k miles ago.
When I mix about half 93 octane fuel with half 87 octane fuel or run straight 89 octane fuel the pinging is barely noticeable.
I replaced the fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs about 7k miles ago - no noticeable difference in pinging.
I have read many posts on this forum and in the past week I have done the following…
Run about 30 gallons of fuel treated with AmsOil PI fuel additive cleaner - no noticeable difference in pinging.
Clean MAF sensor with spray can MAF cleaner - no noticeable difference in pinging.
Reset computer by disconnecting battery for 10 hours with light switch left on - no noticeable difference in pinging.
Add a hose clamp to exhaust heat shield to clamp down securely - no noticeable difference in pinging.
Modify front cover on transmission bell housing so it was snug up against the housing all around - no noticeable difference in pinging.
What are your thoughts on what to do next? Keep in mind I do not have much confidence in my local Ford Dealer.

Eric K

Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 AM
FortyFords
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
fuel psi under load,pump or the sock on the pump is clogged or the fuel pressure regulator is bad
a knock sensor going bad (this is what causes the timing to retard after knock or ping is detected)

Rich

Old 03-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Carpainter29
Junior User
Mine will ping unless i run 89 octane or higher. Done it since i bought it, (20000 miles ago). Dont really have an answer for you but with all ive read i think it is more common in the 00-01 years.........

Old 03-30-2007, 01:28 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

I've posted before, but after verifying to a certain degree that all the mechanicals are in order. I recommend a PCM re-flash if one is available for your SD V10. Of course...that is a dealer only option...and they are the only ones that can tell you if your SD V10 has a re-flash available.

Good luck...

biz

Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops- I posted this in the wrong "pinging" thread. Sorry.

Last edited by NoMo; 03-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2007, 06:55 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Aw man...I can't believe you would do something like that! Shame on you!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:24 PM
sulconst2
Senior User
could it be since he bought the truck used that it was already chipped and set at race or tow mode and thats why it pings using regular gas? just a thought.

Old 03-31-2007, 12:44 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Hmmm...good thought!

Eric, go get that thing reflashed and see.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:00 AM
macaroon
New User
Try lubricating the surpintine belt. (bad speller) I replace mine and the pinging noise stoped!

Old 03-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Eric K
Junior User
I know the original owner and the truck was not chipped. Even so, I can get it reflashed.

I am puzzled by the serpentine belt lubrication. You replaced yours and you recommended I lubricate mine. What purpose would that serve?

Old 03-31-2007, 12:40 PM
macaroon
New User
If it's the belt making the ping sound, lubrication will stop it till it wears off.

That's what I did before replacing belt.

Sounds odd, but I think I heard of doing that on alt.trucks.ford, I can't swear to it, but think that's where I got it from.

Mine was pinging at odd times, like when the cruise control leveled out, and even when it was idling, as well as when I got my foot into it.

Give it a try, can't hurt, I used wd-40.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Lubricating a belt?!? With what?? OIL??

Holy crap....you don't lubricate belts. Either leave it alone of replace it.

Lubricate...

Old 03-31-2007, 03:15 PM
sulconst2
Senior User
any chance of it being an intake leak after the maf causing a lean condition?

Old 03-31-2007, 04:32 PM
macaroon
New User
Eric,

It sounds like what I had. If you don't want to spay it with wd-40 try water and soap. That will lubricate it till it evaporates and wears away.

Believe me, it worked for me!!!!

Macaroon

PS Please let me know if it works.

Old 03-31-2007, 05:46 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am always intrigued by these pinging posts..

especially the ones where most things are new or adjusted correctly

a properly running computer controlled motor can ping at times enough for the driver to notice but only for less then a second or two before the PCM commands more and more ignition retard and the associated power loss. If it is NOT doing this then the cylinder head ping sensor is not sending the signal to the PCM. This does NOT correct the ping cause but protects the motor and cat

There are a LOT of tin things that set up a harmonic and sounds like a pinging motor on these trucks

With my 2v V10 I sometimes had a sever ping that the computer corrected when towing heavy on hot days in the tall mountains...I tried the 85 octane stuff and no help so went to mid grade 89 octane and got some power back but ultimately discovered that 87 octane and drop down a gear and spin the motor faster to get out of the lugging range of the RPM band worked best and did not create much if any power loss from the ping ignition retard.

All of the local owners I helped out a few years back with a "pinging motor" (5.4 and 6.8) ended up being tin vibrations

I would first make double sure NONE of the sounds are simple harmonic vibrations

Then concentrate on why the motor does not loose power and the ping go away as designed

Once you get a properly working PCM and you still have pinging and the power loss retard of the ignition. Then you have to determine why it is pinging...poor fuel quality is the usual culprit

My 2001 2v V10 did not like any fuel but Chevron 87 ...YMMV

Quick Reply: Still pinging - what next?