1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Replaced Tailgate weatherstripping...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 12:28 PM
Mexray
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got around to replacing the w/stripping at the top of the tailgate in my 1989. Went down to my friendly FORD (For Off Road Dirt) Dealer and ordered the parts shown below. Took two days to get all four pcs.

(1) D8TZ-984 1610-A $26.58 Outside Horz strip that rubs window.

(1) F6TZ-984 2072-AA $16.60 Inside Horz strip that rubs window.

(1) E7TZ-984 1617-A $9.48 LH end seal.

(1) E7TZ-984 1616-A $9.48 RH end seal.

That totals $62.14 before sales tax.

It's a real 'snap' to do this job - about 15-20 mins is all. Remove the end seals - There is one screw in each seal - you have to kind of twist them to get them out - you will see how they fit so you can get the new ones back in properly.

Next remove the outside horz strip - look as the new one to see how it's clipped into the tailgate - I used a puttyknife to gently pry the clips up and out - easy to do. There is a screw at each end.

Next remove the inside Horz strip like you did the outside.

Install the new inside strip, guiding the clips into their holes, starting at one end and working across - you can push the clips 'home' when you have them all started - again, it's a real 'snap'.

Install the outside strip in the same manner - you may have to use a thin, flat bar to seat these clips - I used the end of a thin board so I wouldn't damage the strip. Install the two screws.

Install the end seals - a little tricky, as the inside edge has a 'slot' in the rubber that has to be inserted and pulled back to seal. If you have trouble, it's best to practice with the old seal till you get it down - there's a metal insert inside the rubber that you don't want to distort on the new seals. Practice makes perfect. Istall the two screws and you are done!

Now most of the orr-road dust won't find it's way down inside the tailgate because that old outside seal is cracked and broken!

Old 03-23-2002, 04:37 PM
jcmartinez
New User

This is sort of off topic, but ill ask anyway. I too need to replace the weatherstripping on my 91 Bronco tailgate, but i have another question. My rear window wont roll down and im wondering if you have any experience with that. When i turn the key, nothing happens, i dont hear any noise as if the motor is trying to turn to roll the window up or down, I just bought it a few weeks ago and would like to get this to work. Thanks in advance for any info you might have.
Joe

Old 03-23-2002, 05:09 PM
SBV1
Junior User

That is a common problem. The driver side latch on the tailgate needs to be fully closed. It can be because the gate striker bolt is out of adjustment. Does the window work from the switch on the dash? If so that eliminates what I just told you.:-)

Old 03-23-2002, 05:38 PM
jcmartinez
New User

Hi and thanks for the info. no the switch on the inside doesnt work either. any ideas in getting this to work? i like the truck now wimpy like the foreign suvs...
Joe

Old 03-24-2002, 08:29 AM
SBV1
Junior User

Old 03-24-2002, 08:38 AM
SBV1
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-Mar-02 AT 09:42 AM (EST)]I just noted that you said the glass is up. Try pushing against the left (driver) side of the tailgate and listen for a click. Also check the fuse to make sure you are getting power to the motor. You can take the access panel off from the inside to access the switch to get the window down.

Then the striker on the driver side needs to be adjusted. You need a torx for your ratchet. You need to loosen it a bit and you can slide it up, down, back and forward a bit. I would bet you need to move it back and down a hair. Also check to see if there is a plastic sleeve over the striker where the latch will fit around it. If not, replace the striker with a new set. I just got a new set from Ford for $11 each. I also just replaced the weatherstripping on the tailgate and went through the same thing you are and it was adjusting the striker on the driver side. I think the hinge wears a little but enough to throw the striker adjustment off and the lower part of the latch mechanism doesn't close all the way.

Old 03-24-2002, 09:14 AM
jcmartinez
New User

Thanks I give it a try and let you know how it comes out.
Joe