Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP PLEASE!! Car idles well, engine vibrates under load

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:00 PM
floridaguy7
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP PLEASE!! Car idles well, engine vibrates under load

I have a 1992 Ford F150 2 wheel drive, 5.0L engine. I just changed my E4OD transmission with a used tranny. I start the car and it is fine. It goes thru the whole automatic choke thing and then settles to a nice idle. If I press the gas pedal very, very slowly it will rev up to redline. If I press the pedal down a little quicker, the motor vibrates violently and doesn't want to rev up at all. It actually sounds like it is going to die. Sometimes it actually will stall out. If I put the car in gear I can't rev it at all. The motor really vibrates alot and will not rev up when I slightly press the gas pedal. The car sat for about a month when the tranny was out, but the engine ran strong before I did the tranny swap. I think the rear abs light is on and some other red light to the left of it, maybe another brake light. Any ideas or opinions are welcome. I just changed the spark plugs and it did not help at all. Someone help this newbie/rookie. Thanks

Last edited by floridaguy7; 03-27-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
How's the cap and rotor and wires? Have you cleaned the intake/iac? Have you changed the oil since it sat? Can you get it to move at all?

Now the serious questions- When you reinstalled the trans did you install the torque converter on the flexplate or the input shaft? Either way- did you make sure that the converter locked into the oil pump in the front of the trans?

If you bolt everything up and the locks are not aligned you'll bust the ears(usually the oil pump ears will bust first). This could cause the drivetrain to be out of balance, and give you a REALLY bad vibration. But if this were the case it should do it from the time you start the engine till you kill power.

I think the problem will be found in the fact that the truck sat. I'd start with the rest of the ign. system and check the air intake system. Your problem sounds most like a vacuum leak to me, go there next.

Also I take it your in FL- check the engine(vacuum lines,intake plenum, and-from experience-around the throttle cable) for dirt dobbers. I left my truck for a 4 month period and went out and couldn't get it to stay running, I had a mound of dirt dobber nests on my throttle cable hook up(under the black plastic cover)keeping the cable from moving.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:44 AM
floridaguy7
New User

Thank you for your reply. I changed the oil about 3 months ago. It is fresh and clean. The cap, wires, and the rotor have not been changed. I may do that next to see if that helps and I will check the air intake side of it. The tranny seemed to line up perfectly and I bolted the torque converter to the flexplate with the (4) studs on the torque converter. The truck moves forward and reverse, it's just the engine that chokes when you hit the gas at a normal rate. In neutral or park it will rev if you rev it slowly. In drive it really won't rev up at all, but in idle the car will move forward and reverse. Thank you for all your help and I will keep you informed on my progress.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 PM
ag30265
Posting Guru
Ok, going from that- I'd start by checking for vacuum leaks. The trucks at about that age when some of the vac. lines start to crack and dry-rot. let us know.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:17 AM
floridaguy7
New User
update

I changed that cap and rotor and it really did not effect that way it ran. Starts fine, idles fine, press that car too quickly and the engine vibrates alot and won't rev up. If I press the gas pedal very slowly, it will rev up fine. Check the vacuum lines and they look good. Tonight I will change the fuel filter and see if that helps....I'll keep you updated. thanks for the tips.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:31 PM
mrl390
Elder User
I had a chevy that I had the engine out of. It sat for about 2-3 months. My problem was the filter in the fuel tank. I know that on our trucks the fuel filter is on the frame under the cab. Replace that then check your fuel pressure. Make sure you can hear your fuel pumps build pressure when you turn the key to the ON position. If not you may need a new pump(s).

Old 04-03-2007, 08:15 PM
floridaguy7
New User
Changed the Fuel filter

Cahnged the fuel filter. We poured out what was left in the fuel filter and it was pure black. Motor still hesitates and shudders when you put the gas down quickly. Still idles perfect. I'm thinking the fuel injectors are clogged now. It seems to run a little better but not good enough to drive. Like I said if I rev it slowly then it is fine, when I push it quickly it shudders and will stall out. When I put it in gear under load its even worse. I really can't rev it up because it automatically shudders and stalls out.....I guess my next thing to do is put in some techron and see if it cleans out the injectors. Thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted. Any other advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:38 PM
Bruce R Leech
Elder User
why dont you pull the codes before you start changing everything. also get some new gasoline in there it sounds like you had a tank of gas go bad while you had it lade up.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:43 AM
floridaguy7
New User
checked it out last night

I put in that lucas fuel injector cleaner and let the car run for like an hour...still wen you rev it up it hesitates and vibrates. I checked the vacuum line and they seemed good. Is there anything that could have happened when the transmission was replaced to the vacuum system. From what I remember the tranny only has two hookups and they are both electronic. Actually it has two other hookup, but that is for the fluid. Is there something that I missed or could have pinched a line when I reinstalled the tranny. I also checked the fuel pressure on both tanks and they were close to 30 psi at idle. Seems good to me. Anyhow, maybe I try to pull the codes and see what's next. Thanks again for you help everyone.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Bruce R Leech
Elder User
get some new gas in there. it may have gone bad