Sponsored by:

ignition upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:52 PM
bronk_richy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb ignition upgrades

im about to upgrade my ignition system. '95 351w. auto. what should i get as far as coil, cap, plugs and wires? anyone have good luck with one product over another? thinkin bout some msd components.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:09 PM
arib
Freshman User
I got the MSD blaster coil, MSD cap and rotor, and ford racing 9mm wires. The MSD 8.5mm wires are really good too but they are twice as much and won't work too well if you got headers. for plugs stick with cheapo autolite or motorcraft coppers. stay away from fancy platinum plugs cause they cost 4 times as much and cause a bunch of problems.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:37 PM
bronk_richy
Freshman User
the main reason they cause problems is temp. too hott of a plug. creates hot spots. pre combustion. now u have 2 or 3 flame patterns hitting each other causing pinging. also mis fires is a big one.

did u notice much of a difference after upgrading?

Old 03-25-2007, 07:47 AM
helirich
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the MSD box on my Bronco. Its the kind that plugs in. I have taken a long trip with it plugged in for a tank of gas and unplugged for a tank. I got about 1 to 1 and 1/2 miles a gal better fuel millage. It also runs smoother right away. I cant feel any better power, but it would make since that it makes the same power on less fuel. It probubly makes a little more power at full throttle.
I've had bad luck with Ford racing wires burning next to headers (not against) I switched to Accell 8.8 hi temp wires . The boash plugs are the shortest and work well with 45 degree boots on shorty headers. I've tried the 2 prong and 4 prong plugs and found no differnce.