Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel gauge actin funny?

Old 05-19-2002, 10:19 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Fuel gauge actin funny?

Just under 1/4 of a tank to just over E the needle goes haywire. pointing to way past full then half way then way past full again. Is this a hard thing to fix? The truck has 14k of the 36k mile warrentee left so it's probally prorated down now since it was a used truck, so I'm triing to decide if its worth fixing or having it fixed.

Also I have the electronic odemeter and sometimes the display disappears when the truck is off aond sometimes not, any clues?

Old 05-19-2002, 10:20 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Fuel gauge actin funny?

Forgot to mention : '93 Bronco 5.8l XLT.

Old 05-19-2002, 12:29 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel gauge actin funny?

Do a search in either this, the '87 - '96 Pickup, or the Electrical forum. Try using "fuel sending unit" as keywords. Somewhere in the last several months someone was having the same trouble, and a good explanation was given as to the cause. It has to do, I believe, with the existence of a "dead spot" in the sending unit, where there is no electrical resistance generated.

Old 05-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Pilotrick
Senior User
Fuel gauge actin funny?

IMHO it sounds like you need new sending unit. Fords seem to go thru sending unit quite a bit (I've replace them in about five of my trucks over the years). It is kind of a hassle to fix this cause the sending unit is in the gas tank, also if yours is a fuel pump/sending unit it can cost anywhere from $100.00 to $250.00. I got mine with a pump from carparts.com with a discount coupon for about $135.00. Saw a new site for parts might be cheaper http://www.rockauto.com/ . 1st you need to drive the truck till the tank is near empty (this makes removal a lot easier)I put mine up on jack stands as high as they could go. I have heavy duty stands so I got good lift you could drive the truck backwards up car ramps too. There are several bolts hold the skid plate and tank in remove most of them leaving one on either side in but loosened you will then need to crawl under the truck and reach on top of the tank to disconnect the fuel lines and the power to the sending unit (and pump if you have a pump in the tank not sure on your year most likely you do though) you also need to disconnect the fuel filler hose from the tank at this time too. Now place a floor jack under the tank to hold it remove the rest of the bolts and lower the tank (be careful tank does want to move around because of leftover fuel the more you leave in it the more it will move on you good idea to have a friend around to help on this project). You can see on top of the tank the sending unit remove the lock ring and pull out the unit slowly being careful not to catch it on the tank. To install just reverse the procedure being very careful putting the new unit in. WORD OF CAUTION THIS CAN BE A DANGEROUS JOB YOU ARE DEALING WITH GAS IN AN ENCLOSED CONTAINER SO BE CAREFUL!!! This was just a warning not trying to be a smarta** just wanted you to be aware. Someone else might have some other advice so don't just listen to me, Good Luck and if you have any other questions just ask,

Rick
86 302 EFI, bored 60 over, AOD,
Headman Headers, Flowmaster 40 series,
2 inch dual exhaust, MSD ignition

Old 05-19-2002, 10:47 PM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Fuel gauge actin funny?

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-20-2002, 10:24 AM
adelyser
Elder User
Fuel gauge actin funny?

I bought a universal sending unit for Ford vehicles for about $20, and pulled the old pump/sending unit out. I then removed the old sending unit from the pump assembly and installed the universal sending unit in it's place. After bending the float to the same specs as the old one, it all worked great, and saved a lot of money. I think I got it from JC Whitney, but cannot remember.