1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

PerTronix Ya or Na?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:10 AM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PerTronix Ya or Na?

Like I mentioned before my first weekend project is a full engine tune up and upgrade. So exhaust with possiable glass packs. New plugs, wires, filters, ect.

But I have heard of upgrading your Distributor and Coil with PerTronix and I see they have a version 1 or 2. What do you guys think? Yes, No, Maybe??

And for those who have it is it easy to install yourself?

http://www.pertronix.com/

Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 AM
56efffie
Elder User
I personally have heard good things about Pertronix, especially if you dont want to fool around with adjusting points. I believe its a straight forward install, someone will be along shortly who has it to answer

Old 03-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ilovegamesandcars
Like I mentioned before my first weekend project is a full engine tune up and upgrade. So exhaust with possiable glass packs. New plugs, wires, filters, ect.

But I have heard of upgrading your Distributor and Coil with PerTronix and I see they have a version 1 or 2. What do you guys think? Yes, No, Maybe??

And for those who have it is it easy to install yourself?
The tune up is probably a good idea - at least to establish a performance baseline (if it is done correctly). Clearly, the exhaust system needs to be completed for safety, if nothing else.

Might I suggest that you do those things and fix any safety stuff (brakes, steering, etc) then STOP? Drive the truck for a while before spending any more bucks. The truck will "tell" you what it wants to be and you'll discover what you really want for your own comfort and enjoyment.

I have been a member here for a few years and have seen many new owners come into our happy family with tons of enthusiastic questions only to practically disappear in a short while. As best I can deduce, the initial enthusiasm is spent on frills and good ideas, but not not real substance, from the owners needs. I'm not trying to be preachy here, but many here will tell you that they also have seen this phenomenon.

Also, do you know what your truck will be? Driver? Stock? Rat rod? Custom? Trailer queen? It is really necessary to know that and make a plan. Then stick to the plan and build it as you enjoy it. That will result in the most fun and least time and money spent.

Oh yeah...the Pertronics unit has a good rep and most have recommended it well saying that it was a pretty straight forward install. If you want to drag race your truck, it is a necessity. If not, it will just mean you don't need to adjust the points once a year.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here for ya.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:38 AM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ill second what Randy Jack talked about; many of us start out with a list of stuff we would like to do/change... I have that list, but if its going to be a driver, seems like a good idea to spend the money and the time on safety and reliability issues. Drive the thing for a while, I am enjoying what I have and would not think about making some of the modifications I had in mind when I first got her, now that I know her better.

Specifically, I have a Pertronics unit in my 56' as well as in my older motorcycle, for the money they are great, I would not hesitate to install one in any older vehicle I own. I have enough to do without worrying about points ever again, and I keep the points in the glove box just in case..

I don't know how others do this, but when changing multiple components ( ignition, wires, etc) I do one item at a time and check for starting/performance, so if something is not right, I don't have to figure out which components is not in right or not working right, thats how I was taught, opinions will differ I'm sure.

#1 thing, HAVE FUN with it! (and drive it!)

Old 03-15-2007, 11:40 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I have used the Pertronix distributor replacement setup but not the kit to install in the OEM distributor. Mine worked very well and I have heard good things re the kit.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used several of them, never a complaint. Joe

Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Originally Posted by Randy Jack
The tune up is probably a good idea - at least to establish a performance baseline (if it is done correctly). Clearly, the exhaust system needs to be completed for safety, if nothing else.

Might I suggest that you do those things and fix any safety stuff (brakes, steering, etc) then STOP? Drive the truck for a while before spending any more bucks. The truck will "tell" you what it wants to be and you'll discover what you really want for your own comfort and enjoyment.

Also, do you know what your truck will be? Driver? Stock? Rat rod? Custom? Trailer queen? It is really necessary to know that and make a plan. Then stick to the plan and build it as you enjoy it. That will result in the most fun and least time and money spent.

Whatever you decide, we'll be here for ya.
That's an honest statement and nope this girl is in the family forever. To be honest myself this is not our first classic. We actually own a '53 Desoto. And have had a '69 VW Bug, that was our first car together.

The Desoto is a car I like but the problem is the parts availablilty. It runs, drives, and brakes just fine but it needs a complete custom paint and interior that we're not just into doing.

What I have in mind and what style I like is a Gasser. This will be my daily driver too. My plan is, and PLEASE tell me if I have it backwards, is the engine first. Upgrade and get it running better than ever before. Next is brakes and steering. It brakes fine I would give it a 7 out of 10 and the steering has a little play, and the clutch could use a touch up too but shifts fine. But remember that it only goes about 40mph so I'm not going to run anyone off the road. And finally paint. I'm going flat black with Pink and White Pinstripes with little chrome here and there.

I have set up all my upgrades and prices down on paper. And my ultimate goal is to do all this work myself. Even down to the paint job. I want to learn as much as I can and that is why I come to you guys with as much knowledge as you have, what you say pretty much goes in the truck.

I hope that gives you a little insite and me and my new '60.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Your plan sounds fine. Gets my vote!!!

Old 03-15-2007, 12:43 PM
DT56
Cross-Country
I replaced my points with a Pertronix and it works great.

If I can do it anyone can.

Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
So Pertronix is it!!!

So which one should I get Ignition System 1 or 2?

Or is there any differance at all?

Old 03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
I got no problem with points, if your engine loose spark you know what the source f the problem is. but it's all good.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:15 PM
DT56
Cross-Country
I used the Pertronix with my stock system - a mid 70's 360 pumped up to 390 with a 2 bbl carb

Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM
ilovegamesandcars
Senior User
Also, I forgot to ask, along with which one should I get I need to know if Fords are a possitive or negative ignition system?

I know our DeSoto is a negative but I believe Ford is a possitive. But I haven't got my book yet.

Thanx,

Jeannine

Old 03-15-2007, 01:33 PM
DT56
Cross-Country
That would be a Positive!!

Old 03-15-2007, 01:52 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by DT56
That would be a Positive!!
For a 1960? I don't think so. But I don't own one either.

My two cents on the Pertronix; As far as i know, your 223 uses the crappy Load-A-Matic distributor. It has no mechanical advance, only a sorry vacuum advance setup that was cheap but did nothing for performance or economy. Making it electronic is somewhat like putting lipstick on a pig IMO. I don't see that MSD is making a dizzy with mechanical advance for a 223 yet, but maybe someone else is. Other people make them from other OEM distributors but that doesn't sound like something you can do.

If you put that you are asking about a '60 six-cylinder in the title, maybe Colonel Flashman will respond, he knows these engines quite well. (it's a good idea to do that anyway)

Quick Reply: PerTronix Ya or Na?