General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

FTE Folding @ Home - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:46 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well now it looks like I have 2 incompletes.I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my computer. If there is might as well stop.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordlover55
Dunno if anyone else has watched that video link on Rex's sig, but if you haven't, ya should! ... Finished WU-8 ... working on 9 and staying underneith our favorite lil snowbunny.
OMG! That was more than awesome... Words cannot describe how I feel. My daughter and I just watched it twice! I'm totally, speechless.
On another note, just turned in WU 11 and WU 12 will be gone within the hour!

Last edited by Snowbunny; 04-27-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:19 AM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Old Tired Rebel
Well now it looks like I have 2 incompletes.I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my computer. If there is might as well stop.
What error code in the log did it give, if any?

Some WU's just Early Unit End for no good reason, a few have here and the Pande Group says that's the way some of them (don't) process while the researchers are looking for new methods and proteins to simulate.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:39 AM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RexB
What error code in the log did it give, if any?

Some WU's just Early Unit End for no good reason, a few have here and the Pande Group says that's the way some of them (don't) process while the researchers are looking for new methods and proteins to simulate.
Rex I'm still looking in the log file but have not found any error codes.

I found out that my son has been pausing the work when he is on the computer then he forgot to turn it back on.

Last edited by SuperSnake; 04-27-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Rex ~ I just stole your link to the video, "Life Of A Cell." That was absolutely amazing! I hope everybody watches it!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:11 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
No prob Liz, it's there for the sharing. Harvard & Hughes schools put together outstanding bio videos.

Originally Posted by Old Tired Rebel
Rex I'm still looking in the log file but have not found any error codes. I found out that my son has been pausing the work when he is on the computer then he forgot to turn it back on.
Ye OTR, kids will hand us those nice surprises often

If he's worried it will interfere with gaming, I'll show the settings that usually stops that.

Last edited by RexB; 04-27-2007 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:15 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
That is true but I can't figure out where it went? The log files shows it all being sent and recieved. I just uninstalled and reinstalled still can't figure it out.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:35 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
That is true but I can't figure out where it went? The log files shows it all being sent and recieved. I just uninstalled and reinstalled still can't figure it out.
If it shows the old one being sent and the new one being rec'd, then the old one is gone for good. If it was incomplete it will be reassigned and Folded.

There's a few things it could be...

If gaming and there is a "minimize" problem Uncheck the "Main Title" and/or/both "Logos Enabled" in your GUI Configuration if they aren't already. I Fold at 98% and don't have a prob with games or image editing. Folding runs at the lowest priority, most of those apps have a higher pri.

Usually, not always, a computer overclocked more than 8-10% (like mine was) will terminate processing. Normally shows a LINCS 101 NaN error.

Overheating -- On some of these Large WUs that require intense processing, the temperature will rise too high for them and cause a EUE. My good Zalman 7000 HSF could just cool enough for some of them. (I got a 9500 to replace it.) Normally shows a LINCS 101 NaN error.

BTW, un/reinstalling will reset the number of completed WUs the machine shows, but the FAH servers will continue to show the total number for that machine ID. I've found Folding app to be one of the most stable parts of a Windows machine, if not greatly OC'd

Last edited by RexB; 04-27-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
"....... and another one's gone, and another one's gone! Another one bites the dust!" Whoo Hoo!

Old 04-27-2007, 03:34 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RexB
Usually, not always, a computer overclocked more than 8-10% (like mine was) will terminate processing. Normally shows a LINCS 101 NaN error.

Overheating -- On some of these Large WUs that require intense processing, the temperature will rise too high for them and cause a EUE. My good Zalman 7000 HSF could just cool enough for some of them. (I got a 9500 to replace it.) Normally shows a LINCS 101 NaN error.
Two very good points here. This kind of processing seriously heats up a CPU, even at normal clock speeds and voltages. Any dust or airflow restriction can quickly result in errors.

On my 3125MHz Opteron 185, (1.375v), I've got a Scythe Ninja CPU cooler with two 100cfm fans. One on the heatsink itself, the other blowing the heated air directly out the back of the case. I also leave the front two 5 1/4" drive bays under the CD drive open to allow cross-ventilation. Even then, it runs about 49C under load.

On the other computer with the Opteron 1218 at 2860MHz (1.35v), I'm using a Scythe Mine with the stock fan, and the stock case exhaust fan, again with the drive bays open for cross-ventilation. It runs about 40C.

I also use Prime95 to test for stability when overclocking. I consider this essential, as we dont want to be returning the wrong results to the researchers! I run it at a minimum 24 hours before I consider the overclock stable. An overclock can usually be made to be very stable, but it requires testing. And more testing...

Dont be afraid of the screwdriver. If you've got dust, clean it out! It can do wonders for stability.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:35 PM
RexB
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
Two very good points here. This kind of processing seriously heats up a CPU, even at normal clock speeds and voltages. Any dust or airflow restriction can quickly result in errors.

...{here} It runs about 40C.

I also use Prime95 to test for stability when overclocking. I consider this essential, as we dont want to be returning the wrong results to the researchers! ...
And more testing...

Dont be afraid of the screwdriver. If you've got dust, clean it out! It can do wonders for stability.
Yes! F@H is tough on a chip. Hard[ocp] and Anand's use it sometimes for stress tests. SpeedFan tells me that I'm running at 64C on this FX-53 chip, while my temp probe nestling on the chip case tells me 42C...the max limit per AMD this chip is 70C. I'm shortening the life of it by Folding (heat), but this S-939 will take a new dual AMD chip that is half the price it was three years ago. So what the hey

Rusty, you have quite the good rigs and Folding scheme going, congrats. C2D coming for me, maybe a budget ATI X19xx with it, then the Folding will rip again.

Keep on Tru...Foldin'

Last edited by RexB; 04-27-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:07 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts
We are going to break into the top 600's today!

Old 04-28-2007, 06:31 PM
lenny1carl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by glruff
We are going to break into the top 600's today!
not because of me.... i just finished a 57 pt WU. i didn't know such a thing existed

Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 PM
glruff
Super Moderator
Received 164 Likes on 98 Posts
I am on one now that shows 250 and takes 32 minutes a frame. Slooooooow, but sure.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:02 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just finished 2 today and picked up one for 574pts and one for 1760pts they seem to take about 2 days each on my computers.
glruff, slow or not your still helping the process and thats what really counts, yes we have a little competition going, but hey that competition got me to upgrade and buy a new computer (my wife thinks it's great cause now she has one to get on the internet with too. lol) and it's got me thinking about redoing one of my old ones with a new board etc (basically just use the case and replace all the guts with new stuff) then I might actually be able to hang onto that second place position for more than a day. But hey not doing to bad considering I only have 2 computers working this stuff.

Quick Reply: FTE Folding @ Home - Part 2