Sponsored by:

Why won't it sell????

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002, 02:21 PM
emboyd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why won't it sell????

OK, I've had my Bronco for sale for 2 months. I listed it in Auto Trader (online only, probably the reason), and I have a sign stuck in in it. It's an 84 XLT w/ reman'd 302 and rebuilt C6. The AC blows cold and the tires are new 33X12.5's. I've started the price at $2900 obo and have bottomed it out at $2200. I let one guy drive it to his dad's "shop", which actually turned out to be a dealership. He offered me $1800 "cash", as if the other option was to finance it. He even used the line "the A/C cut out on me a few times while I was driving it." (I don't buy it) I've shown it probably 10 or more times, but no serious takers.

Am I being unreasonable or is there just not a market for this beauty right now?

EB

Old 06-24-2002, 02:47 PM
djbaines
Freshman User
Why won't it sell????

Well, Eric, it looks as though I'll be in the same boat as you are in a matter of months when I go to sell mine. I'm already making plans on being low-balled to the point of submission. Like yours, mine's got a reman'd Jasper motor, all new front end bushings, etc, and is as "sound" as a Ford can get, which means that tomorrow the tranny might go out, who knows. Knowing what I now know about Ford, which is that they're basically garbage, I'll be happy to take anything reasonable at that time.
Setting my synicism aside, though, I think if you just wait it out, you'll end up getting a fair price for it, and you and the buyer will be happy. I think it's just a matter of waiting though.
That is funny though about that guy offering you "cash". I've had that happen to me plenty of times, as if they think the other option is "a dime down, a dime a year...."

Old 06-24-2002, 03:17 PM
AlM
Posting Guru
Why won't it sell????

yo!
As djbaines advised, have patience and it will sell.
We had the 78 on the block for 12 months till the "right" buyer came along. he saw an old on-line ad and bought it for the selling price.
The "other" Big Bronco MB seems to have a few folks that are (or were) seeking Broncos in various parts of the country.
http://forum.mybigbronco.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=3d177d8b7d10ffff;act=ST;f=12;t=185

Old 06-24-2002, 06:02 PM
icelander
Elder User
Why won't it sell????

. Knowing what I now know about Ford, which is
>that they're basically garbage, I'll be happy to take
>anything reasonable at that time.

opinoins are like peoples backsides: everyone has one and most of them stink. knowing full well that 99% of folks who come to FTE, love their Ford trucks and other Ford products, what in the hell would posses you to say something like that? im guessing your knowledge of ford products is limited to: they run on unleaded gasoline(or maybe you put that "other gas" in it that makes the black smoke and the engine, you know, the thing under the hood, sound funny), you need to turn the key to make the engine go vroom, right pedal=go and left pedal=stop(god forbid you have the third pedal) and you Might be able to change a tire if it goes flat. whats wrong with you? if ford trucks are "Garbage" why has the F-150 been the best selling truck for more that TEN YEARS? Go buy a chevy or dodge and see how long they last you. and after you buy one of those...see if you can find a place ANYWHERE on the net comperable to this place!

its not your Bronco or the price. its just the tight grip that people have on their money right now. plus, people want new trucks nowadays. trucks are a fad and "luxury vehicles". people want to be seen in the latest model of suv and an old Bronco just doesnt fit the bill. i bought my bronco(an '86 thats uglier than that dude who said ford trucks are garbage's sister) for 1500 but i only had 800 so i had to finance a few bucks. i couldt wait to save the money cuz the truck might have been gone by that time. it was exactly what i was looking for and i couldnt live with anybody else owning it.

my point is: money's tight, folks dont want old iron and those that do sometimes dont have the cash, its easier to finance through a dealer than a bank and people like "that dude" are out there. dont worry youll sell it as soon as the right person stops to look at it and falls in love with it!

Old 06-25-2002, 08:50 AM
CityBronco
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

Have you tried to sell your Bronco on Ebay? I have not sold or purchased a vehicle on ebay, but I know some people who have and they have had a good experience with it.

Old 06-25-2002, 10:08 AM
emboyd
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

> Have you tried to sell your Bronco on Ebay?...

I am considering it. I'll do some research to see what Bronco's are going for on the auction block.

Thanks for your input, friend.

Old 06-25-2002, 10:42 AM
broncoman85
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

You'd want to sell your Bronco? Take the top off load up a cooler and hit the backroads (read:dirt) with a gal and then tell me you want to sell it....livin' large. I've got a '85 bought it in '94, owned two '78's before that, and can't imagine not having a Bronco. I'm helping my son build his '78 with 9 inchs of lift and 39.5 sts superswampers and am trying to figure out a way to get him to let me use it occasionally. I mean women love them and so do I ....why let them go? Whit

Old 06-25-2002, 12:33 PM
emboyd
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

>You'd want to sell your Bronco?...

Yes, I want to sell it. Tough decision, and I battled internally for a few months. My new wife and I need to cash to pay some bills. Not to mention the fact that her little Miata (convertible) gets much better gas mileage. I'll get another Bronco at some point in life, probably after I get another Mustang.

Old 06-29-2002, 09:19 AM
emboyd
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

>OK, I've had my Bronco for sale for 2 months. I listed it
>in Auto Trader (online only, probably the reason), and I
>have a sign stuck in in it. It's an 84 XLT w/ reman'd 302
>and rebuilt C6. The AC blows cold and the tires are new
>33X12.5's. I've started the price at $2900 obo and have
>bottomed it out at $2200. I let one guy drive it to his
>dad's "shop", which actually turned out to be a dealership.
>He offered me $1800 "cash", as if the other option was to
>finance it. He even used the line "the A/C cut out on me a
>few times while I was driving it." (I don't buy it) I've
>shown it probably 10 or more times, but no serious takers.
>
>Am I being unreasonable or is there just not a market for
>this beauty right now?
>
>
>
>EB

OK, so I've decided to change my bottom out price to $2000. Hopefully, I'll get some better looks this time around. I'll keep ya informed. I just really need to sell this thing.

EB

Old 06-29-2002, 10:25 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster
Why won't it sell????

As others have said, the economy is tight and people are holding on to their money. I follow the market on older pieces, both cars and trucks, and there are some incredible values out there. The sale of 'project' cars/trucks (usually race, custom or rod cars/trucks in various states of completetion) has gotten huge as the economy continues to falter, mass layoffs continue and people need to get their hands on cash.

You're trying to sell in a price range where the majority of buyers are looking for cheap, fuel efficent, basic transportation. That '84 has a 9" rearend with a great frame and sooner or later somebody looking for a good offroad platform will buy it. Unfortunately, you have a lot of competition.

Old 07-01-2002, 12:21 AM
SHADOWstang99
New User
Why won't it sell????

patience is a difficult virtue. i looked around forever.
finally found one i liked and bought it the same day.
luckily i had the cash and didn't have to finance.
the trend seems to be "mommy & daddy bought me my new (insert make/model here). the right person will find it.
hopefully.

Old 07-01-2002, 10:46 AM
1967fordranger
Junior User
Why won't it sell????

Where are you located it sounds like you are selling exactly what I am looking for email me at chad_medley_2003@mail.com if you are in missouri or eastern oklahoma, or kansas.

Old 07-01-2002, 02:42 PM
emboyd
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

>Where are you located it sounds like you are selling exactly
>what I am looking for email me at chad_medley_2003@mail.com
>if you are in missouri or eastern oklahoma, or kansas.

Unfortunately, I'm in Northeast Florida, about as far way from you as I could possibly be. Good luck on your search.

EB

Old 07-02-2002, 12:10 AM
Ivanhoe
New User
Why won't it sell????

Since I'm kinda sorta in the market for a used Bronco, I'll give you my outlook on things.

Since the big Bronco is a niche vehicle, its going to be a small market (few buyers, few sellers) which means its going to take awhile for a buyer and seller to hook up. If you were selling something generic like a stock F-250 with tow package, you'd have to disconnect the phone for a couple of months to stop all the ringing.

As an example of how picky buyers can be, what I'm looking for is one of the following;
- 1996 XLT, 351W, E4OD, a/c, tow package
- 1994-5 XLT, 351W, M5OD-HD, a/c, tow package
- 1989 XLT, 351W, AOD, a/c, tow package
- 1983-1986 XLT, 351W HO, 4M, a/c, tow package

and of course I want clean sheet metal and a decent exterior/interior color scheme. I'm not willing to pay one extra dollar for the Eddie Bauer package (actually, I dislike its color scheme). I want no part of a lifted machine. As you can imagine from the above, pickings are slim. But I'd rather wait and get exactly what I want than buy something that needs serious surgery from day one.

Old 07-02-2002, 10:35 AM
emboyd
Senior User
Why won't it sell????

>Since I'm kinda sorta in the market for a used Bronco, I'll
>give you my outlook on things.
>
>Since the big Bronco is a niche vehicle, its going to be a
>small market (few buyers, few sellers) which means its going
>to take awhile for a buyer and seller to hook up. If you
>were selling something generic like a stock F-250 with tow
>package, you'd have to disconnect the phone for a couple of
>months to stop all the ringing.
>
>As an example of how picky buyers can be, what I'm looking
>for is one of the following;
>- 1996 XLT, 351W, E4OD, a/c, tow package
>- 1994-5 XLT, 351W, M5OD-HD, a/c, tow package
>- 1989 XLT, 351W, AOD, a/c, tow package
>- 1983-1986 XLT, 351W HO, 4M, a/c, tow package
>
>and of course I want clean sheet metal and a decent
>exterior/interior color scheme. I'm not willing to pay one
>extra dollar for the Eddie Bauer package (actually, I
>dislike its color scheme). I want no part of a lifted
>machine. As you can imagine from the above, pickings are
>slim. But I'd rather wait and get exactly what I want than
>buy something that needs serious surgery from day one.

Thanks a lot for your input. Patience is the word here, for sure. I'll work on it...

EB

Quick Reply: Why won't it sell????