1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Factory Air Suspension Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 03:07 PM
jaytuck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory Air Suspension Problems

I have 97 F250 light duty equipped with factory rear air suspension. Truck has 180K miles. Both rear air bags were replaced about 100K miles ago under warranty (I didnt do it myself!). Both sensors and compressor are new within the last 18 months which I replaced myself. Recently, rear air bags have been deflating when truck is sitting idle. Compressor reinflates air bags as expected when struck is started but recently cannot maintain. Sprayed soapy water today on air bags and airlines and witnessed leak (due to air bubbles) at lower side of air bags on both sides. My conclusion is that air bags are culprit. Seems coincidence that both are leaking?? Anyway, looking for any input/reccomendations/advice/etc. on sourcing replacement air bags and tips on replacement (removal of old and install of new, etc.). Dont really want to pay Ford mucho $$ to do work if I can do myself.

Thanks to any input out there in advance!!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:31 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Check with http://www.suncoreindustries.com/ . They have many airbags for cars, they may have something for your truck too. I recently ordered the MarkVIII rear spring kit to eliminate the airbags. It was priced right and I received in a couple of days. They even sent prepaid UPS lables to return the cores.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:19 PM
grafekie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the Firestone rear airbag kit, but I installed them myself and don't have the onboard compressor (going to soon though... I inflate and deflate them enough to make it very worthwhile). The expensive part are those airbags, and the most difficult part is drilling the holes through the frame. Since yours are already drilled, it should be simple to remove them and reinstall, assuming the Ford kit is similar to the Firestone kit (they should be... 95% of all airbag systems out there came from Firestone, even if they aren't branded as such). Maybe two hours total.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:21 PM
pronstar
Elder User
These guys seem to have decent prices:
http://www.strutmasters.com/catalog.php?cat=51

Old 03-12-2007, 10:08 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
The bags fold over the bottom mount as a normal action.
When the rubber begins to lose it's chemicals by evaporation and slowly gets hard from the outside inwards, cracks begin at the foldover area and progresses inward until a point is reached, a pin hole develops, then air leaks out.
This is much like plastic seperates at the foldover point when bent.
Sometimes the leak will seal against the lower mount and hold until the truck is moved or the pump changes the trim height.

Last edited by Bluegrass 7; 03-12-2007 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
jaytuck
Freshman User
Bluegrass - what you describe is likely my issue. Leaking is occuring at bottom of air bag assembly where rubber folds over/seals against the plastic "core". They have stayed inflated for varying periods of time while driving which makes me think they temporarliy sealed as you desribed. Nevertheless, they are likely toast (they lasted approximately 80K miles like original did with same driving habits).

Thank you to all who responded - I appreciate it!!

Old 03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
While driving, the pump will run and keep them inflated if it is a slow leak. I have seen many of them in Lincolns leak there at the bottom where the roll up and down.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
jaytuck
Freshman User
I am assuming the compressor motor has a thermal ovelroad. It obvoiulsy is running much more than normal, especially as leak gets worse. Is there a danger of prematurley burning motor out? Should I turn switch off under dash? The compressor is ony about a year and a half old and really dont want to replace it again. I am going to order new air bags on line per sources suggested to me but likley will not get chance to replace until this weekend or early next week. Truck is my only transportation right now.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
To keep running under those conditions is hard on the air pump.
I have a Lincoln with air suspension all around. Been thru replacement of all 4 bags and a pump.
People buy these cars without any knowledge of how the system works and sometimes get all wound up over the problems on 15 year old cars and either want to convert to springs or sell the car when the system is easy to understand and repair as long as they will take the time and challenge to learn.
On many systems there is an air dryer that has to have manitainence once in awhile because the dessicant gets saturated with water and drives water into the lines and bags as well as corrodes the pump and valves.
In winter the system freezes as a result.
Depending on the car or truck, if the control module times a Trim request and it is not satified within a specified amount of time, the pump is shut down to protect it.
The only way to restart the pump it is by cycling the ingition off and back on, but not a good idea to keep doing this.

Last edited by Bluegrass 7; 03-13-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
jaytuck
Freshman User
I initially contacted Ford to price out replacement rear air springs and new solenoids. They quoted $ 196.00 ea (airspring with solenoid included and attached). I then contacted Suncore industries and Strutmasters per suggestions above. Both sites advertise components for Expeditions/Navigators but not light duty F250 pickups specifically. Quizzed person I spoke to on phone from each source whether they could supply what I need (F250 LD air springs are not the same as those on Expeditions). One of them couldnt give me an answer until Monday and the other said they had what I needed but did not give me a "warm and fuzzy" as to whether it was what I needed.
I am sure both sources (as well as all others out there) are reputable for what they advertise on their respective web sites. But I guess one could conclude that components I need are not commonly asked for (not many 97-98 F250 LD trucks out there with rear suspension!).
Has anyone out there had either good or bad experiences with above mentioned or other sources for these type of components they would like to share, especially if parts required/supplied were "outside" of what they typically market?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
These companies have spotty records at times.
The people who give you answers many times are not well informed.
For example if you call for bags for a Lincoln Mark 7 LSC, they can very well tell you the bags are all the same or not tell you at all. Yes they do fit but the spring rates are different between an LSC and Bill Blass, Continental models within the years they all used the same mounting design, and they will send you the BB bags often no matter what you tell them.
So I would be sure to pin down any after market vendor about your application.
After all your truck is supposed to have the original load capacity with replacement bags.
The after market bags are made with replacement rubber that us usually sealed to used bases and tops with steel 'pinch' rings. These sometimes have faulty sealing so you have to be awhere that this is a possibilty now and then.
Also you can call other suppliers and they often won't tell you they get there bags from places like Strutmasters and some other sources for resale.
This is some knowledge about air springs, having been involved with the cars and auto forums that use them, for quite a few years.
I would consider OEM replacements because you get the capacity and the life, as the bags should last for the rest of the time you own the truck. Often the OEM bags are Firestone.
Replacing the bags is not a big deal as long as you understand that the solenoids usually have a two step seal arrangement so you can blow a bag down without the solenoid getting loose and becomeing a missle.
Remove the electrical connector, jack the truck on the frame so the bag is easy to access and take care in pumping the new bag after installation.

Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass 7; 03-24-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:25 PM
jaytuck
Freshman User
I think I am going to go with original OEM air springs.... cant afford to risk getting wrong parts!! Thanks Bluegrass and everone elses informative responses!

Old 06-12-2011, 04:38 PM
schmi1
New User
airbags

Noticed your posts jaytruck, where did you end up getting airbag replacements?

Old 06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
jaytuck
Freshman User
I ordered them from suncoreindustries. Identical to factory original Firestones. Very easy to install. Still have same vehicle and expect them to well outlast vehicle...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:13 AM
schmi1
New User
Do you recall if they were part # W217609000 also known as sport-rite 9000?

Quick Reply: Factory Air Suspension Problems