1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Edge Juice Platinum w/Attitude ????? And cold air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:54 AM
piperpilotduane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Juice Platinum w/Attitude ????? And cold air intake?

I want a tuner for one reason only. More MPG. I know we can get crazy with SCT Excalibrator custom tunes ect. But I want real time daily driving opinions of this unit or other units you may recommend. I use this truck daily and dont need to drag race in it. I tried the Preditor and it did nasty RPM surges on cold startups.

Also advice on a cold air intakes would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Duane

Old 03-09-2007, 11:06 AM
travis dasher
Senior User
I would look at DP Tuner, I have not heard anything bad about them. If you are just looking for one tune Jody at Dp Tuner can flash your PCM. I do not have the DP Tuner, YET, but will be getting one soon. I should have gone with DP Tuner before getting my current setup (Banks 6 Gun). The power that this one tuner makes is awesome. All the other tuners(Edge, Banks) need to be stacked with a chip to get this much power.

As far as intakes go it depends on if you want to spend the cash or not. AFE Stage II w/ Proguard is an awesome intake, excellent filtration and moves alot of air but it is $$$. If you want to save alot of $$$ then go with the NAPA Wix Filter part #46637. Alot of members on here use this filter. The filtration cant be beat and neither can the price $40. Hope this helps. I know this is a little long winded but I am trying to keep you from buying parts then saying later on I should have gotten this, which is exactly what I am doing now.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:44 AM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
If you want an all out custom tune for gas milage your best bet is to find a reputable Diesel shop that has a dyno. Its spendy but they can put your truck on the dyno and do a custom tune that will give you a much better mpg increase than any of these tuners and chips that you just put on your truck. I doubt that the Dp tuner that every body talks about is gonna give the mpg increase you would like to see, with that said the Dp tuner is one of the best out there though.

Old 03-09-2007, 11:55 AM
Uzumati
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
And being from SC DP Tuner is not that far away and they do custom dyno tuning. www.dp-tuner.com

Old 03-09-2007, 12:09 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
Your rpm surges on cold start ups are gonna always happen with any tuning device including the Dp tuner unless its programed to put the truck back to stock when its cold. The only tuner that I have heard of that detunes on cold starts to prevent rpm surges is EDGE, but I dont remember which of there products actually monitors and defuels for that circumstance.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:29 AM
piperpilotduane
New User
I apreciate all this info. I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one with the surge problem. I'll contact DP. Any other suggestions out there? I want to hear all alternatives and make an informed decision before sinking $$$$ in items.

I also want to clerify that the NAPA filter will provide better air flow than stock, will help increase MPG and still has good filtration?

Old 03-12-2007, 12:09 PM
travis dasher
Senior User
Do you have an exhaust kit? A free flowing exhaust (turbo back or down pipe back) combined with a free flowing intake will provide you with better fuel economy and a little bit more power. The NAPA filter will provide you with better airflow than stock and has awesome filtration. There are members with upwards of 60,000 miles on the same filter without changing it. Of course results will be different if you live in a high dust area. Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:24 PM
jvoigt
Posting Guru
I already have my intake set-up that I wanted but AirAid just came out with a intake that looks alot like the AFE stage II, It looks good and comes with a hugh filter, the intake tube intlet is 6" in diameter and has a velocity stack built into it. Airaid's build quality is top notch from what I encountered with the set-up I put on my Mustang GT. they also have dyno results that prove a 22 hp and 55 tq increase with the factory exhaust so add an after market and those numbers will be bigger, that power increase was at 1900 rpm. I am not trying to sell it.........just thought that I would give some info on this new intake just incase you guys are in the market for one. I wish I had a second 7.3L so I could get the new Airaid............DAMMNNNN PMS .