Spark Plug Woes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Spark Plug Woes

Old 08-10-2002, 04:34 AM
AJ2U
New User
AJ2U is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Spark Plug Woes

I have a 2000 F-150 (5.4) with 70,000 miles that I use daily for work. I decided to replace the (factory) spark plugs before the recommended 100,000 mile changeout. When I got to the very last one, it broke off even with the cylinder head. Upon inspection, it was obvious that the spark plug had rusted almost completely through. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions for preventing this in the future? Thanks.....AJ

Old 08-11-2002, 10:39 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Ultramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud of
Spark Plug Woes

That is not a common problem. What usually causes difficulty is the inablity to remove the last plug due to clearance problems.

Sometimes, you have to hold your teeth just right for things to work.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:49 AM
2000littleredexpress
New User
2000littleredexpress is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

Change your plugs at 30,000 miles because if you wait till 100,000 to change them they will break off and strip out.

You have to be a complete *retard* to wait till 100,000 miles

Edited by administration .

That comment was un-called for!
[font color=blue]
Be Courteous and Respectful
================================================== ===============
Do not post vulgar, obscene, sexually explicit, racial epithets,
harassing, abusive, hateful, libelous, expletives,

derogatory or
defamatory words or phases, in any variation.

The goal of Ford
Truck Enthusiasts, Inc. is to be a family friendly service and
such content undermines that goal.
[/font]

Old 09-13-2002, 11:51 AM
RHODCO
Junior User
RHODCO is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

Read the Service Manual before calling anyone a retard. The OEM plugs are designed to last that long, which is why the specified replacement interval is 100,000 miles. You can replace yours every 30,000 if you want to.

Old 09-15-2002, 11:19 AM
samhihn
Senior User
samhihn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

Little red whatever. You will notice as you read the various posts on this web site that there isn't much in the way of name-calling. Most everyone just tries to be helpful in a friendly sort of way. OK? AJ2U, several of the guys have mentioned using an anti-seize compound when installing new plugs. Sounds like a good idea to me. Good luck

Old 09-16-2002, 08:42 PM
RHODCO
Junior User
Spark Plug Woes

Just replaced my plugs and wires today. It was an all-day job and I'm glad it's over with. I thought the #4 was hard until I tried to get to the #8. Man, what a pain. Jacking up the front end will not help on this one.

4.6L V8 owners make a note* - if you decide to use the Autolite double platinum, get the APP104. Your local parts store will tell you to use the 764, but they have old information. This goes for both Windsor and Romeo engines. See separate post on the details of that story.

One recommendation I can make is to use plenty of silicon dielectric grease in the rubber boots. This will help create an air tight seal around the wire ends. A little around the outside of the spark plug end boot should keep any water from getting down in it.

Old 09-20-2002, 08:23 PM
American Muscle
Junior User
American Muscle is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

Jeeze, with the pain of replacing these sparkplugs on the 4.6l, I think i'd rather let a pro do it.

... they break it, they get to fix it. heh.

You'll probably have to take the truck in to ford and see if they can't correct it, but it sounds like it could get costly.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:30 AM
RHODCO
Junior User
Spark Plug Woes

The FORD DEALER? From my experience with Ford dealers in Atlanta, they break it, they fix it, but you still pay for it.

If anything is still not right afterwards, you need Perry Mason to convince them that it wasn't that way BEFORE you brought it in.

This "post-visit telephone survey to improve customer service" is a joke. I gave them an earful of what they did to me last time (I'll spare you the details here) and they said someone from the dealership would call me. Yeah, right. That was a month ago.

I hate to sound bitter, but I've been raped by the Northpoint Ford dealer for the last time. I bought the tools, I bought a manual, now I'm going to do everything I possibly can do myself.

If something happens that I can't fix myself, I'll look for help anywhere EXCEPT a Ford dealer.

Old 09-28-2002, 12:06 PM
TommyRox
New User
TommyRox is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Sep-02 AT 01:35 PM (EST)]I have 1999 Ford F150 5.4 and I am not realy mechanically clined I must say up front. I want to change the plugs but when I took a look at where they were I couldn't even see how to get to them. Is there a cover over them? Any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-28-2002, 08:48 PM
werewolf
Senior User
werewolf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

From an older thread:

"There must be a trade secret in changing the spark plugs"

Hi -

I'll tell you what the trade secret is. The trade secret is the
$%#[email protected]'s don't really change all the spark plugs at the Ford dealership, that's what the secret is.

Those damn plugs are so poorly designed, so hard to get at the ones in the back, that it gives a lot of incentive to the mechanic to fake it.

That's what happened to me at the Ford dealer. My truck ('97 F150 5.4)was running fine and I brought it in for the 100K spark plug change. OK, may I have my old plugs back, said I. Oh, uh, we got them, uh, OK...But there were only seven. Where is #8? Oh, uh, it fell down the drain...

Anyhow, to make a long story short, I finally got them to admit that they did not change all eight plugs. Oh, terribly sorry, sir, we fired the mechanic who worked on your truck...

In the future, I guess they'll keep a box with spare plugs around so that they can have eight old plugs to give customers who request the old ones.

By the way, the plugs did need changing. They were quite worn.

werewolf

Old 09-28-2002, 10:28 PM
Ed2150
New User
Ed2150 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

I have a 1998 F-150 and I just changes plugs and wow ruff anyway after I did my eng. check light came on didn't touch anything else...any Ideas please.....Ed

Old 10-11-2002, 08:33 PM
bbstacker
New User
bbstacker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

What really bothers me is that everyone, and I mean everyone tells you to use dialectric grease when you replace the plugs. It sure would have been nice if the manufactures did the same thing, especially when you're talking 100,000 mile changes. Have these engineers ever worked on what they design? It just isn't fair!!

Old 10-17-2002, 06:34 PM
e150trouble
New User
e150trouble is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

Mine rusted out at 50,000 but because of water setting on top of the engine. I discovered that my hood seal had been out of wack, letting rain come down the windshield onto the engine. The good part from reading your responses is that I have an E150 van,and I can get to the rear plugs through the dog house. I wish I had read this forum before figuring out the spark plug system by trial and error.

Old 10-24-2002, 10:25 AM
ralphie123
New User
ralphie123 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

I recall seeing some other posts about this very problem. Apparently the rear plugs will start rusting and may break, especially if you wait the recommended 100,000 miles before having them changed. It sounds as if the rear plugs are so difficult, I will let the dealer have at it. Shame on them if they fake it.

Old 11-24-2002, 07:44 PM
jajones43
New User
jajones43 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Spark Plug Woes

I changed out #8 plug and boot on my 97 F-150 4X4 5.4L, it ran good for about a day or so the #4 went bad. The thing is I can't get a plug socket on #4. Are there two different plug sizes in Fords? The 5/8 socket goes in the hole fine but wont grab the plug. Anyboby heard of this?

F-150 Spark Plugs one of Ford's better idea's

Jimmy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark Plug Woes

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.