1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Why Volare and not Aerostar IFS

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 AM
montanarodder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why Volare and not Aerostar IFS

I have been skulking around this site for about 3 months, soaking up the knowledge. I plan on upgrading the front suspension on my 56 F-100 with IFS and am trying to figure out why the Aerostar IFS swap isn't discussed very often on this forum. There is a lot of information on the Volare swap and it seems if some of the specialty shops still install it. With the availablity of Aerostars, the newer age and possibly lower miles on the front end and not being required to notch the frame it seems like a much better system? What am I missing in the equation?

Old 03-03-2007, 10:45 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Aerostar

I'm doing the same. Gathering info for front and rear end swaps. I am surprise there are not more modern front end swaps. I think it is mostly the modern vehicles are to wide. The Jaguar XJ6 is popular. Sure hate having to buy Mustang II, but after looking at installing old front ends and buying parts to update them, the Mustang II price may be best and will help resale value. I read somewhere in these threads that lowering parts for the aerostar were not available. I'm sure someone in the group knows more. Have a great day, chuck

Old 03-03-2007, 11:48 AM
mymerc
Junior User
We just finished putting in the Aerostar suspension in Dec/Jan and have the truck back together but haven't had a chance to put some miles on it. It was cheap and easy to get at the junk yard, I paid $100 complete with the rack and pump, and the parts at the supplies are reasonable enough as I decided to by all new ball joints, hoses and calipers. The upper mount takes a little bit of fabricating but the lower cross member only needs a bit of grinding and then can be welded up. It lowered the truck from stock, but for anyone looking for that real low rider look it probably is not enough. What is needed is a dropped spindle for this set up and it would be great. You can see pictures of the truck in my gallery as I brought it home in January and haven't had it out for a drive yet because of weather.
Mymerc

Old 03-03-2007, 01:04 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The only things negative I've heard about the Aerostar suspensions is not being able to get the truck as low as wanted and the width. I understand they are too wide for the older trucks (52-back). You hear more about the Volare because it has been a popular swap for many years whereas the Aerostar is relatively new on the scene and there just isn't as much information around about the installation.

Old 03-03-2007, 01:10 PM
mymerc
Junior User
That is one thing I forgot to mention is that the front end is 2 inches wider over all or 1 inch per side which is easy to make up with the offset in rims if you are buying new ones. so far I just have the ones I took off of my straight axle and there is no problem.
Mymerc

Old 03-04-2007, 12:23 AM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Should note that the MII has grown up due to development from a handful of companies. It is no longer the parts from a wrecked pinto/MII with the X-Member cut out and " made to fit " as it was at first. The X-M is engineered to fit our trucks and many other cars as well and the parts are rarely MII stock parts. We now have choices like tubular,pol S/S, P/S, drop spindles, big discs, 4 piston calipers, custom offsets and the list goes on. There are now choices with regard to supplier, alignment methods,price, ease of install, product support, and aesthetics. Then there is a choice of coils, coil-overs, and airbags. No other IFS offers all this available to the DIY'r with so many options. One even offers a No-Weld, Bolt-In unit that is nice. The Volare IMO rides better, is lower in initial cost, easier to screw up the chassis, and I can't bag it, the tech is 30 years old, but I like it a lot.. As the Volares disappear from the wrecking yard, the MII looks like the more likely choice. One could buy the X-M and then collect the parts from any source as $$ allows. More info to digest I suppose. Jon

Old 08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
cyoung_01
New User
info

Hello,

i am installing an aerostar clip in my emmie and i need some information, if you have time can i ask some questions?

email me at cyoung_01@hotmail.com

Old 08-15-2007, 12:01 PM
fergusonicford
Senior User
I installed a Transverse Tortion Bar Independant Suspension from a Volarie about 21 years ago on one of my 56's. I have also heard that Diplomat and Aspen will work but am unsure of the Cordoba. here's an entertaining site:

www.geocities.com/indychamp/torsion/torsion.htm

Old 01-03-2018, 01:49 PM
54TexasF100
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
EDITING because I just noticed this is 2007. WOW, thought it said 2017. I will leave my write up anyway. Sorry. I wonder if these guys are gona notice. Better late than never I guess.

I installed the Aerostar IFS in my 54 F100. The draw to me in the beginning was the price ($100 for me in a local salvage yard) and only learned about it because I worked with a guy that installed one in his 56. I was able to see his finished truck and he answered all my questions so I guess I had a leg up on the tasking. Been on the road for a couple years. It rides just fine but depends a lot on your set up. Mine has gotten better with stiffer springs and shocks. Also, you have to tweak the rack and pinion angle because van steering is almost straight up from the engine. I cut out and filled in a small baseball size area on top of the cross-member to accommodate this mod. I made my own rack and pinion mounts, motor mounts, and upper shock mounts. I did not box the frame. Not needed for this application. I welded a steel plate on top of the frame to bolt the upper A-arms. I also had to make small cuts the top of the cross member to accommodate the down turn angle of the frame. The cross-member is large so these three areas of modification is negligible IMO&E. Also you weld these up tight. You also weld the top of the cross member to the bottom on the frame. No cutting to original frame. I replaced all the bushings. I got new rotors, calipers, brake pads and a new rack and pinion. The hub to hub measurement is fine for the 53-56. In the beginning I used the stock wheels with a one inch adapter (5x4 1/2 to 5x5 1/2) and they did not extend outside of the fender (see pic with bare metal). I currently have 9 inch wheels with 275 rubber on the front (without adapter because the wheel is a 5x4 1/2) and still not outside of fender (see patina pic). Lowering is an issue with the aerostar. You can get smaller springs or bag it. With my set up if I change the springs for a lower stance my lower A arm would not be where I want it which is a little better than level (little sloping down going outboard) same as the rack. So, I go back and forth with the lowering. I like being the few that has a some-what stock height F100 but have always liked the idea of laying frame.

I have had my truck in current configuration up to 85 mph with no front end issues/scares.

I wish photobucket still showed my pics in the below build thread. I think there are some viewable pics in my build thread that give a closeup of the aerostar IFS if the interested searches.

With all that said...If you have the money go get a Heidts Superride II...I would.

Attached Images     
Old 01-03-2018, 04:47 PM
EBEAR
Cargo Master
Received 542 Likes on 309 Posts
Looks like it fits nicely . The aerostar is probably quite a bit lighter than your truck making the heavier springs necessary . Looks like you have a fairly high sidewall tire ( 70 ? ) and could certainly go to a lower profile , but not every one wants them in the weeds .

Old 08-02-2019, 08:38 AM
John Waugh
New User

I have a Volare clip under my 55 and have had all the bushings, ball joints replaced. The upper control arms were just replaced with FirmFeel tubular control arms. This makes it look much nicer than the factory UCA's and makes the caster/camber easier to adjust.
The torsion bar ride height adjustment is a nice option also IMHO.
I have the front bumper 10" and have a great ride.
The only drawback is the availability of control arms. Junkyards have just about run out of the 40+-year-old parts and FirmFeel is the only place I have found to buy custom parts for this front end.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:13 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was rebuilding my 1987 Chrysler T-bar suspension I found some parts available at NAPA and the rest at Kanter Auto Parts.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 AM
PIGGYONAHOG
Junior User

Volare front clip just replaced all ball joints and upgraded to polly bushes on control arms roll bar and torsion bars. bit of a nightmare getting parts from in the UK but it has a nice ride and handles ok. Think if I was to do a clip from new I would go M11

Old 08-31-2019, 07:33 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
this thread iis 12 years old !!!

Old 08-31-2019, 08:00 AM
F100supercrew
Tuned
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
IFS

Go with the proven Mustang II with coil springs , power rack it is engineered and PROVEN and safe all I ever use in my builds with a Explorer rear then you have disc brakes all way around---complete Mustang II and extensions with Heidts cross member for ONLY $ 1,500.00 and is a easy install and it FITS and is SAFE and all NEW-- NO JUNK YARD SCRAP--

---good luck

Quick Reply: Why Volare and not Aerostar IFS