Sponsored by:

Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 09:02 PM
Swetch
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Sending Unit

I am having a problem with my fuel gague, and I believe the problem stems from the sending unit from the tank. I can top off the tank, and the gague reads 'F' and by the time I drive home (less than 3 miles) the gague will read 1/2 or 1/4. I was wondering if it was tough to replace the sending unit with basic hand tools and minimal knowledge about cars. Please let me know what you think. Thank you.

Tim Sheppard

Old 09-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Pilotrick
Senior User
Fuel Sending Unit

IMHO it does sounds like you need new sending unit. Fords seem to go thru sending unit quite a bit (I've replace them in about five of my trucks over the years). It is kind of a hassle to fix this cause the sending unit is in the gas tank, also if yours is a fuel pump/sending unit it can cost anywhere from $100.00 to $250.00. I got mine with a pump from carparts.com with a discount coupon for about $135.00. Saw a new site for parts might be cheaper http://www.rockauto.com/ . 1st you need to drive the truck till the tank is near empty (this makes removal a lot easier)I put mine up on jack stands as high as they could go. I have heavy duty stands so I got good lift you could drive the truck backwards up car ramps too. There are several bolts hold the skid plate and tank in remove most of them leaving one on either side in but loosened you will then need to crawl under the truck and reach on top of the tank to disconnect the fuel lines and the power to the sending unit (and pump if you have a pump in the tank not sure on your year most likely you do though) you also need to disconnect the fuel filler hose from the tank at this time too. Now place a floor jack under the tank to hold it remove the rest of the bolts and lower the tank (be careful tank does want to move around because of leftover fuel the more you leave in it the more it will move on you good idea to have a friend around to help on this project). You can see on top of the tank the sending unit remove the lock ring and pull out the unit slowly being careful not to catch it on the tank. To install just reverse the procedure being very careful putting the new unit in. WORD OF CAUTION THIS CAN BE A DANGEROUS JOB YOU ARE DEALING WITH GAS IN AN ENCLOSED CONTAINER SO BE CAREFUL!!! This was just a warning not trying to be a smarta** just wanted you to be aware. One tip I saw that someone else did was to cut an access hole in the floor of the Bronco with the tank out so you can get to the sending unit with out dropping the tank any more, just find a junk bronco and cut out a bigger piece of floor to cover what you cut out. Someone else might have some other advice so don't just listen to me, Good Luck and if you have any other questions just ask,
Rick
86 302 EFI, bored 60 over, AOD,
Headman Headers, Flowmaster 40 series,
2 inch dual exhaust, MSD ignition

Old 09-04-2002, 11:33 PM
Swetch
New User
Fuel Sending Unit

Its an 85 Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8L V8. I just had the fuel pump replaced so I would imagine the sending unit isnt attached to the pump. If that info could give me a more specific answer that would be great, if not thanks for all the help you've already given me.

Old 09-04-2002, 11:42 PM
Pilotrick
Senior User
Fuel Sending Unit

Still basically the same just one less wire to hook up. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

Rick
86 302 EFI, bored 60 over, AOD,
Headman Headers, Flowmaster 40 series,
2 inch dual exhaust, MSD ignition

Old 09-05-2002, 02:47 AM
Zorbungi
New User
Fuel Sending Unit