1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Power Racing Water Pump vs. Stock Pump 83 Bronco?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 04:11 PM
heybrent
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new 351W and have rebuilt it with Edelbrock Heads, Manifold Mallory Distributor, Accel Super Coil with Petronix Electronic Ignition, and Edelbrock Cam. I decided to go with a Cat Power Aluminum Racing Water pump as well and it all went together very well.

You might have seen my other posts about the engine overheating and now there is radiator fluid in the oil. I was wondering if the Aluminum Racing water pump is designed for high RPM engines, and therefor it is not pumping well enough for the Bronco, or if the Racing Water Pump basically means the impeller can withstand higher RPM's.

Let me know and thanks!

Old 09-06-2002, 05:38 PM
georgedavila
Postmaster

I'm not familiar with the Cat pump, but most high performance water pumps produce a higher volume of water with different impeller blades. Speed of the impeller is controlled by the pully turned by the belt. You normally use the stock pully when changing water pumps. Does the Cat pump have it's own, smaller diameter than stock pully? Edelbrock and Weiand high volume water pumps have broken a seam on my '82 Bronco heater core a couple of times.

Old 09-07-2002, 01:57 AM
heybrent
Senior User

As far as I can tell it was a direct bolt up. I used the same pulley and it all fit together perfectly. I did however pull the heater hose off with the engine running to see what kind of flow I was getting and it was certainly wasnt shooting out but it was flowing a little. Of course I also did this before it was hot so that might have made a difference. I emailed Cat to see what they think. I need to figure something out though!

Old 09-07-2002, 02:32 AM
1988XLT2002
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post