Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Wiring Harness

Old 09-10-2002, 10:04 AM
RAzaRazor
Junior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Sep-02 AT 11:05 AM (EST)]Ok, so I have been having problems with my torque converter not locking up. I know the problem is electrical because I give the wires a shake, and it will work again for a few days. Finally getting fed-up with this situation, I bought some electrical contact cleaner, and was preparing to pull apart the transmission connections from the PCM down to the tranny.
Well, I noticed something that I should have seen a long time ago. The bundle of wires was about 2 inches away from the exhaust header. The split plastic thing that covers the wires was positioned so the crack was open about half an inch, and directly facing the header.

Convenient, huh?

Care to guess which wire was the in the front of the bundle? Yeah, that's right, the torque convertor lock up signal wire.

Anyway, I was thinking I could just splice in a new wire if I had to, but I would rather just get a whole new harness because I don't know what other wires could be damaged.

So, does anyone have any good suggestions as to where I can find a harness, and more importantly, how to protect the new one from the heat?

Old 09-10-2002, 06:12 PM
bronco cam
Senior User

I have had great luck with the local rebuild yard. I am not sure what type of scrap yards you have in your area but I have a late model only scrap yard close to my house. It is real clean and they pull the parts for you, I guess to cut down on theft .You get to go in the yard but they drive you out to the vehicles you want to look at then if you see what you need they pull the part. The prices are better then half off of a new part and they stand by there parts. If it doesnt work you can bring it back for a refund or another part.

96 Ford Bronco 351