1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

No programing, WOW!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:48 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
No programing, WOW!!

I just thought I would let you guys know about my woes this week. I pulled my DP chip today to send it back to Jody for some updates. I had the 40hp/120hp burns for stock injectors and oil. Since then I've added stage 1's 17*hpop/ nitrous/ intercooler/ HPX line etc. I knew my truck was making good power, BUT DAMN!!!!!!! I drove to the UPS store to send it off, holy crap!!! It feels like I'm riding around with the E brake on. Stock programming sucks!! I never realized how much of a difference the programming makes. I knew it helped a good bit, but WOW! Needless to say, I sent it next day air and asked Diane to send it back second day air. I should have it back by Thursday. I AM COUNTING THE SECONDS!!! Just thought I would share that with yall.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:54 PM
ltfox
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I know what ya mean. Since installing the intercooler, if I run stock i go 0-60 in like 10 minutes!!

Old 02-26-2007, 10:52 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
I am going to be getting mine tuned for my injectors and hopefully an intercooler this summer. Let us know what kind of a difference it makes with tuning for the 1's.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
ha from now till thursday will probably be the only time for me to take advantage of the situation, and claim the faster truck. but after thursday my truck will just have to sit idleing by until i can get injectors and a tranny. oh well

Austin, #3

Old 03-05-2007, 12:29 AM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Breaking the duals loose in 3rd gear? Did programming make that big of a difference? I cant break my singles loose

Old 03-05-2007, 01:33 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Honestly Foreman, I didn't think so at first. I thought it was a fluke, something on the road, etc. But just about every time I lay into it, either the truck fishtails, or I can physically see 4 black marks in the mirror. But my rears are about 40% as well. I honestly don't think that would be the case if I had new tires. But back to your question. Now that I've driven it for a few days, yes, programing made a pretty big difference. I notice where my truck would "load up" upon intitial acceration after idling for any amount of time, it doesn't now. The throttle just kicks *** all the way up. My 40hp program is making a huge amount of power over the previous program. It actually smokes a little now. But boost is very quick as it was not so quick before. That goes for both programs. My 120hp setting doesn't have as big of a gain. But you can definatly tell the difference. Like I said, it wouldn't spin the tires in 3rd 4 days earlier. So it must be making a significant difference. Was it worth the money and time to send it back...........................yeah, just to get rid of the "loading up" was worth it.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
wvoburner
Freshman User
Hey - I just picked up a '95 F250 2wd AT & am looking at a chip/programmer - any help with who does it right? Thanks

Old 03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Man I feel like my truck isnt running to its potential now. My tires have 55,000 miles on them and almost look like slicks in the rear . And it still wont spin them on pavement (unless its wet). Can you do it with fuel only or is your nitrous turned on? The only difference between mine and yours is the ic and 00+ hpop, oh and now the stage 1 tuning.

What kind differences in boost and egts are you seeing with the new programming compared to the old?

Crap now I have the urge to spent money on this thing again

wvoburner, rubberduck and I both have dp tuner, as well as many others. Look into them or tony wildman for tuning your 7.3.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM
frnkln2003
Senior User
Man, as far as how long tires will last you'll are making me think twice about getting a chip and all that good stuff. I can burn my back tires pretty easily now and the only thing that isnt stock on my truck is intake and exhaust. its no problem for me to leave a cloud of smoke from burning rubber in second gear right now. I guess I will just have to save up more money for tires too and not just the chip.

Franklin

Old 03-05-2007, 08:19 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Foreman, I was not running nitrous at that time. As a matter of fact my bottle has been empty for about 3 weeks. I'm filling it tommorrow for a dyno day this weekend. I can't wait to see the #'s this year.

As far as the differences........I would think your injectors would be superior to mine. So it has to be the HPOP and Tuning. Does your truck "load up" after it's idled for a while? I can't see that the IC would make that much of a difference. And maybe my single cab dually is lighter than your 4x crew cab..... I don't know man. I do know the truck wouldn't do it before the tuning though. Sure I could dump the clutch and light them off, but not just by laying down on the throttle......Oh, I just thought of one more diffenece. I also built a set of ladder bars to keep it from hopping. Mine is the straight style. tabs welded to the frame and rear end and a 2x3 tube with bushings at each end. I think that makes a big difference too. Heck, maybe you don't drive like a big enough idiot! I'm definatly on the top of my game there.

wvo, I would definatly call Jody at DP-Tuner. He can do wonders for your truck.

frnkln, if you are scared of wearing out tires quicker than normal, your looking at all the wrong threads my friend. And you wouldn't already know that your truck will burn the tires in 2nd. Am I right??????? Don't worry, the big evil HP monster hid in my closet and haunted me too. Just open the door an tell him to get off his azz and you will sleep much better.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:55 PM
frnkln2003
Senior User
no I'm not worried that much about the tires I am just lucky I can get tires pretty cheap. and within the next year I will have custom chip, 160 cc injectors, ic, sd hpop, hpx, and many more mods.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Not to sure what "load up" means. I am thinking that when you are sitting at a stop light and you floor it in second gear it takes a second for the boost to build up. I thought that was normal "turbo lag", but it is minimal.

I have set off the cel for the 1211 hpop code, but only passing someone going up a hill going like 90mph in the 140hp setting. Getting a 00+ hpop is next on my list along with a 6.0 intercooler.

Did you get custom programming for running the nitrous?

As far as driving like an idiot, I have been on top of my game ever since the new injectors. I love it!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:03 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

When my truck would "load up" I mean it would run like crap for a second or two. Like it was dumping way too much fuel for the cylinders to burn. Like a flooded carb, I guess.

I only get the cel when I'm in double overdrive (gearvendors) running well past the century mark. Meaning if I run it wide open till I get nervious. It seems the truck gets nervious before I do. I would definatly get the 17*hpop.

I did have Jody burn my 120 setting for nitrous this time. I seems the timing is backed off some. It just doesn't feel as snappy as my 40 setting.

So I guess we'll see each other in the Stupid Driving nationals hu?

Old 03-05-2007, 11:17 PM
ForemanES
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RubberDuck

So I guess we'll see each other in the Stupid Driving nationals hu?
With smoke blowin!

I understand "loading up" now and I do notice when it does it but it is very quick to go away.

It seems like the 40hp tow setting has more torque down low and makes it a nice daily driver program.

I am looking forward to hearing your new hp/torque numbers. What are you expecting? With the nitrous I would guess around 400hp wouldnt you? With the 160cc injectors you should be able to reach 350hp on fuel only.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:41 PM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Man, before the injectors, HPOP, intercooler, HPX etc. I was making 255hp/514tq on nitrous in my 120 setting. The truck is WAAAAY more powerful now. I really don't know what to expect. What I WANT, it just to clear 300hp/600tq. I suspect it will be alot higher, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment like I have in the past. It would be nice to see 400hp, but I don't think so. But who knows. And last time I didn't have a nitrous bottle heater, and was only running about 800 psi. Hopefully having 1100+ psi will kick that up some too. Anyway, I don't want to jinx myself and make a prediction. But I hope I'm suprised.

I will be making 3 pulls.
40hp setting
120hp setting
120hp setting w/nitrous

But I'm at a loss here. Last year the guy drove my truck on the dyno for me. He dynoed my truck in 5th gear. This year I'm gonna drive and I'm torn between doing it in 5th like he did, or 4th to get a true reading. I don't know what I should do. Any thoughts?