500 horses out of my 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:37 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damit Rob !! now you just added another 2K to the allready 2K for the rotating assy!! LOL..

Oh hey are you going to the Meet there in Kentuckey..with all the Big boys?? I wrote and appologized to Lem the other day about our MIS-Understanding...a few years back on the phone..and he hasnt written back..I dont suspect he will....I guess he's never had anyone talk to him the way I did?? Oh well..he'll just have to get over it..He's not the only one to buy parts from..But Ol Charkie and I get along together without any problems..Go Figure about Lem?? LOL

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I get along with Lem pretty well, I have met Charlie, just watch out for when he drags out that jug

Yeah I have been thinking about coming down for that weekend and looking into it. I doubt I would bring the ranger but would be a good time anyway.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:47 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Russ I know what you mean on adding dollars, I am putting mine together real slowly too, A460 block 4.5x4.5, Bryant forged (although may go billet) crank, Oliver billet rods, a set of A460-T18 heads probably have ole uncle charlie work them over a bit. Tunnel ram with 2 quickfuel 1050s. I will design a cam and have Reed grind it for me, probably in the .840 lift range with around 300/310 duration at .050 and will be pushing 14:1 compression shooting for 1100hp and around 950-1000ft/lbs

When I get closer to starting to assemble this one I will start a thread with a lot of the info on it and end with the dyno sheets.

Last edited by monsterbaby; 03-11-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:59 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Jiminie Christmas Rob... are you gonna put that in the Baby??

Well I dont know for sure? But when i talked to Scat last week..they said? They said! LOL.. that there new Forged Areowing forged crank would hold 1200hp? I dont know?

Well if you decide to go billet..maybe you can cut me a good deal on your sonny crank then? How much were you 6.8 Oliver rods? Did you go to Diamond for your pistons with the Gas strip in them for cutting down any possoble detonation? or who's did you use? or havent you got that far yet? Probe makes a good piston...too..I have research any of the new stuff in about a year since I got rapped up in the CJ build..so god only knows whats out there now..for the Big Big Blocks! LOL..

I'll probably only run maybe 10psi on the blower..Unless I can get away with cranking it higher without taking all the streetability out of it..

What kind of Hp do you think a Blown 598 will run at 10 psi? I flat love the Tq curve from Idle right up to redline!!

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 11:05 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well I got along with Lem Just fine..I was researching parts..and charkie told me to call Lem..so I did,,thats back when I was building the 521 D1VE block..and he suggested some springs for my cam..and I wrote the number down...and he said so you want me to order them for you..I can have em at your door in 3 days..I said Oh no..I was just trying to find out what I needed..and when I'am ready to buy ..I'll call you...and he said well you Cheap F&*K you..I said what I said..and he hung the phone up!! LOL.. Oh well..

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
yeah this one will be replacing the 528 in the "baby"

6.7" rods, and I will be calling Eric at Diamond once I get the heads done so I can get the right dome for the compression I want. I won't be running the gas strips just haven't decided thats what I want but will probably do the quench grooves in the heads like Scott J did on his EM engine

on yours at 10 psi and with the right heads and cam I am guess your going to be pushing me for HP and probably more torque.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:20 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well Rob, I'am just looking for an honest 1000hp and of course with the Roots.. the TQ will follow....The main thing is..it still have some slight street manners to it..LOL.. I call anything street here in the woods of VA anything I can hang a plate on!! LOL..

Yeah Eric is who I first thought of for custom pistons.. Last time i talked to him..he use to give us racers a good price break..But I dont know how that works anymore since he left and then came back to Diamond.. I know he was relly pissed there for quite some time with them for not getting the credit he so much desirved!!

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 11:34 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
I talked to him right after he came back, and he will still work with you. I had talked to him when I was building the 528 and had a deal worked out, then he left and the replacement and I couldn't get along at all so went to J&E, but when he came back I decided I would go that route on this engine.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 AM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Well thats cool then..I'll have to give him a call next week and touch bases with him..See If he still remembers me? LOL.. Seems like Eric is the only one that really cares about us small guys....and really watch's quility control.. A good bonus for us..

Damn thing have changed...I said small guys ..and I can remember years ago a Mountain motor cost you about 6 or 7K to build..and those were the big guys!! LOL..I think I have a few years on ya Rob...LOL

But Mine wont be going in a Truck..the 70 will have to just live with the semi built 433CJ in it.. I'll be looking for a 60's ford model roller to put it in...

I'll be back in a few..time change , it beer thirty!! LOL

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 11:52 AM
bhardy501
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now there is a lot of folks that know way more than I do about 460s but The combo that built is a 74 460 stock bottom end with a true TDC timing chain, double roller. All my upgrades were made to the top end. I have a 305 dur. .580 lift cam with adjustable roller rockers and hardened push rods. A weind stealth intake with an 850 Double pumper and a lot of head work to match the cam. I have a 3000 stall with a c-6 trans. adn 4.56:1 gears on a locker. This combo pushed a full sized (near 5000 lbs) truck into the mid 8s in the 1/8 mile. I have not dynoed it but the times are very respectable for the set up and I didnt have to spend a fortune to do it. As I stated though there are a lot of people with a lot more knowledge than I have, thats just my 2 cents worth.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:55 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
Russ the way i see it you have about 7 yrs on me (cheated and looked at your profile) but if when I started building engines you told me I would be building a $11,000+ plus engine to go play in the mud with I would have said no way. man the first time I spend $3k on an engine I was think wow this is nuts adn now i am looking at the $11k was a cheap wimpy build, the 572 is going to cost more than my house, and thats me doing the work not what it would cost for me to buld it for someone else. lol

Old 03-11-2007, 12:02 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Oh Stop the Bus..Nobodies knocking a semi stock block build..By any sence of the imagination..

Its just some of us have been there and done that and are looking for more.. I applode anyone that builds there own motors..be it stock or be it full blown race motor a guy built in a shed in his backyard!

So Congrats on your build..and keep up the good work...Sooner or later..you'll want more HP.. you always do..LOL.. Its addictive..

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Oh i hear ya Rob.....I just got back into building what about 6 years ago...after the Youngest daughter moved out of the house.....and Now she's back with grandbaby in tow...for the last 2 years...so thats another pair to feed..But I told the wife..i'am not getting any younger..and I at least want to build one more hotrod.. LOL..

I can remember when I was building Chevs out on the west coast.. having the whole rotating asy..balanced for $60 including the mallory!! LOL those days are long gone!

Russ

Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
bhardy, Russ is right we aren't knocking street builds or any type and I never start suggesting the stuff we got talking about. Remember we are talking all out race stuff here. My current engine is built using a factory 79 truck block, I am pushing a lot of HP and it's all I can do to stay competitive in the classes I run in, I run NA against guys running direct port injected nitrous big blocks some even on alky and can usually place. Yes we get carried away talking about this stuff but in my case it's a race only setup and has no intention of ever seeing a street run.
Yes 8 seconds in the 1/8th is respectable by anyones definition, and I can talk street builds too all day long and will help anyone build whatever they think they want or can afford to the best of my limited abilities. So please don't feel threatened by what we get into as racing is about my only hobby and I have a very competitive nature about me but I have also been limited budget for years (still am to a greater extent) and have built a lot of just over stock engines for street use.
My current street or daily drivers are not 460 based (7.3 PSD, 5.4 triton, and the one I am tryingto get rid of is a 5.0 in a bronco) so I don't discuss much of what I am doing on less expensive stuff right now cause I am not doing anything except building a couple other engines for friends but I rarely bring those into these discussions as not my engine.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot
I am with ya Russ, I am not getting any younger either, and at least once in my life I want to build a naturally aspirated true 1000+ hp engine to compete in the outlaw class with no engine rules and do it with my own limitations. it's not cheap but dang it's fun seeing their faces when I take away a first place trophy and they know I am not using any power adders, all throttle no bottle.

Quick Reply: 500 horses out of my 460