General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

I want this cast off RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 07:24 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want this cast off RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is the story..
ON jan 29th i decided i was going to go snow boarding at sugar mtn. well to my disbelief i took a bad fall and broke my right wrist. the break is on the radius( arm bon e on the thumb side) right across the end of it. So i have had this friggin cast on from a month now and i cant stand it any longer. the docs tell me the cast should come off on the 8th of march but i just cant deal with it anymore. i have no pain although i am well aware that if i do cut it off i should take it very easy for a while. but hey, at least the cast is gone! i am on the fence about the entire situation and not sure what to do. AS i type this i can hear my snips in the tool box calling my name. I can be FREE TONIGHT!

Last edited by guthrie&co; 02-25-2007 at 07:26 PM. Reason: kinda hard to type with a cast on
Old 02-25-2007, 07:29 PM
bdjupiter
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tough it out for a couple of more weeks, if you don't you might have problems later. I know you want it off, trust me I've had plenty, but be smart and leave it on.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:31 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
I just cant take it anymore.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:34 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
food for thought i know several people who had worse fractures which required surgery to reset the bone and who were in casts or external fixators for months then required months of physical therapy to get better.. yours is a cakewalk... TOUGH IT OUT MAN!!! besides you got two hands use the other one to do what ya have to for a while

Old 02-25-2007, 07:38 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
i know guys but i cant eat hardly, i cant sleep much because it gets in the friggin way the list goes on and on. a month of this stuff and it wears on you real bad. i think i am just at that point.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM
SCWIDVICIOUS
Elder User
lol...i would have to dremel it off if it got to me.
i am ambidextrous, so it dont matter which hand i use.

if you do cut it off, just watch your P's and Q's though, I would recommend against it.
who am I to talk about safety though, I am the guy who flat refuses to wear my seatbelt.
Don't even bother trying to get me to put them in my 65, won't happen..lol

personally I would cut it off..lol

Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM
lariat97
Post Fiend
I'd leave it on.I took one off my hand early. I have pain in the hand now due to it not healing correctly. You only have a few days to go don't mess up your wrist for life over a few days.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:04 PM
SPL Tech
Elder User
I would be carefull with your actions. Break it again and you will double the time you are in that cast.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:11 PM
fastfordmobile
Senior User
Go ahead and remove it. Worse thing that can happin is you break it again and then they will just PUT A METAL PLATE IN YOU ARM AND THAT YOU CANT REMOVE.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:42 PM
edgl
Elder User
Be smart, and leave it on.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
bigun72
Posting Guru
leave it on fer a few more days ....

Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
I had the same thing happen only I broke the navicular bone. After about 4 weeks every fiber in my body screamed for that cast to be off. Just being uncomfortable or a nuisance etc is not the feeling I had. When the cast came off in 6 weeks my wrist was frozen and I could not move it. It took several weeks of constantly trying to flex that wrist by grabbing it with my other hand and trying to bend it before it popped one night. My wife heard it pop from 40 feet away. It hurt so good, -but I could bend my wrist again. I personally believe if I had removed the cast when my "body" told me too I would have been fine.

Pssst, by the way, Doctors know very little about the human body... They play a very good educated guessing game tho.

Last edited by Torque1st; 02-25-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 AM
AeroPA
Elder User
eh, then take the cast off and go have surgery to have the wrist fused.

Wrist fractures at the radius are nothing to mess with. If you don't let it heal correctly, you will end up with a dysfunctional wrist.

Suck it up. A couple of weeks more is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:09 AM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by lariat97
I'd leave it on.I took one off my hand early. I have pain in the hand now due to it not healing correctly. You only have a few days to go don't mess up your wrist for life over a few days.
I did the same thing....The bone never set right and now hurts BAD every time the pressure drops. I'm paying the price for my stupidity. If it bothers you that bad, go back to the doctor. Who knows, they might take it off early or give you a different cast.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Randy Pederson
Senior User
I agree with jetdoc!! having had alot of casts I know that the doc. may take it off early as the time it needs is an est. sometimes they need longer sometimes shorter time depending on how you heal.It's like dealing with Ford,,, don't void your warranty by taking shortcuts let the doc decide.

Quick Reply: I want this cast off RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!