Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
top storage

Old 09-30-2002, 09:10 PM
tapenick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post top storage

I was thinking of dropping some straps with hooks on the ends from the garage ceiling so I could hang the top up and drive out from under it.

I'm sure someone has done this... any suggestions?

Tom

Old 09-30-2002, 09:59 PM
jake_i_am
Freshman User
top storage

i've thought alot about that too. my dad did that with his old landcruiser. he used 6 heavy-duty ratchet straps with the hooks on the end (2 for each side, 1 for each front and rear) and lifted them up each about 1" at a time until the top cleared enough to drive out. i'm sure there is a much more efficient system, but i hope this gives you some ideas...

Old 09-30-2002, 10:42 PM
restorit
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
top storage

Maybe not more efficient, but worth considering..... take two 2X4's and cut them about a foot wider (on each side) than the top. Drill a hole through the end of each one (about 4" from each end), and install an eye bolt with the eye-side up and the bottom backed with a wide washer and locknut. The top can sit on the 2X4's, which should be positioned about a foot or so underneath from the front and rear. The eyebolts will serve as attachment points for the ratchet straps, chains, ropes, etc. so that the top can be suspended from the garage rafters. If you really want to get fancy, screw another short piece of 2X4 onto each end of the longer ones, just beside the eye bolts, to serve as a stop and cradle the top should it try to slide sideways during the hanging process. Cover the 2X4's and stops with scrap carpet for padding.

Old 10-01-2002, 06:42 AM
Hwy Apostle
Senior User
top storage

Hey guys got an idea but need to put it to paper to see but basicly put 4 eye loop hookes on the top at base two on each side one front one rear. then get some good cable, a crank like one on a boat trailer,then 8 pullys 4 with s hooks close one side o s hook over pully eye so it wont fall off then mount crank on side of garage the 1 pully above it on a rafter then one obove right front of top then one above right rear of top then one above left rear of top then mont a eye loop hook above left front of top all on a rafter. then hook remaning 4 pullys on to the eye loops on the top just let them hank for a minute. take the cable and loop it at eye on rafter on front left rafter close loop with a cable clamp and feed ot thu front left top pully then to rear left top pully then thru rear left rafter pully then over to right rear rafter pully then to right rear top pully then to rihgt fron pully then to right front rafter pully then to pully above crank and finaly to crank give yourself a little slack to be able to hook and unhook top cut cable and hook to crank. this should work fine pluss it has a 4 point load and only one crank. to be safe I woul us big thick washers on outside on top and a piece of flat steel on inside to ditribute top waight.

sory about the length of this post but felt needed to get full picture of it.

http://www.drivingwithchrist.com/images/colt.gif
Please visit our Web Page for JESUS!!!

http://www.drivingwithchrist.com

I Have been crucified in Christ; it is no longer I who live,
but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the
flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and
gave himself for me!!!
Galatians 2:20

GOD BLESS YOU ALWAYS

Agape: Jerry & Brooke Beasterfeld